Caltech

ymmit

Anyone starting at Caltech for graduate school in the summer or fall? Where will you be living? Will you have a car?

Students who are already there, please respond too- I'd love to make some new friends.

Alright, I think I'm over 99% sure that I'm going - the 1% barring some kind of weird earthquake or meteor strike. I think I'll live in Catalina (sp?) for at least half a year first - cars can follow when I move out of there. What about you?

By the way, anyone has a schedule for the Biology program? I tried to find it on the admissions website and all it says is "coming soon". A sample of last year's calendar will be helpful, just so that we know what to expect... (And I need to do my visa stuff too)

eldar373: I plan to live in Catalina too, though Avery remains an interesting option for me - I haven't got my packet in mail yet and my last phone call on Friday resulted in them apologizing for putting my packet on the desk and not mailing it out (grrr) I hope this is not the "less bureaucracy" hype I've heard...

Also, I am international - and I do plan to come early September, but that's mostly because I have a relative living close by enabling me to move around conveniently and cheaply.

Hi clx! advice - even though you haven't received any mail - fill the form at the housing website..

i am now thinking of coming earlier - flying from another part of the world and never been to us, so better have some time to settle down.

april 15th is very soon. and after that i guess they will send the guides for incoming grad students. i looked at the last year version of it and it seemes to be ery informative with instructions what to do and when.

so, let us have fun till the fall)

Thanks for the advice - I'll check out the site now. I'm actually quite excited at the prospects of living in a quad or triple in Catalina - more opportunities to talk to people from different disciplines. My guess is that you would want more privacy as a student with family though.

By the way, I FINALLY received the freaken official, signed letter today - about darn time.

Unfortunately, I've heard stories about the Catalinas being old and on the dirty side...There are also horror stories about the management people. When I visited there, they said that most students end up moving out by their 2nd year... That's disappointing. As a result I am now looking into apartments near campus that may be newer or have better track records of actually retaining residents. But all in all I guess it wouldn't be too bad to live in the Cat's.

I'm starting at Caltech next year and have been puzzling over my housing preference form. I'm female and want to live in a Catalina quad, but I don't know if I want male housemates. On the one hand, I'm used to living with guys, and the girls I know who chose same-sex housing in college tended to be pretty antisocial. On the other hand, I've heard that some Caltech men can be a bit creepy, and I don't want to have to deal with that in the apartment. Thoughts?

I'm a guy so this might be a little skewed: but so far what I've heard is that most of the "stereotypical" Caltech students are undergraduates, who do not live in Catalina. Graduate students, coming from all demographics, tend to be a lot more normal. Or so I've heard. =)

• 3 months later...

Hello!!!

I'm starting MS in Aeronautics next Fall, and I will arrive at CalTech the first week of september. I applied to Catalina apartments too and about getting a car, it is very possible that I will, yes.

See you all in September!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm starting my MS in Aerospace in the fall, living in a quad at Catalina and bringing a car to campus. Probably will arrive on campus right before orientation.

nachomwda: We'll probably be in a lot of the same classes :)

cantelope: I'm a girl too and was in the same predicament. I ended up just applying anyways and so we'll see how it works out hahaha. (I think I checked the preference box on the application for female roommates.)

See you guys there!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use