Michigan State BioMolecular Science Gateway Interview

microarray

Has anyone gone through the interview process at Michigan State before? I am extremely nervous about the presentation that we have to give and I want to be as prepared as I can.

Also, I'm confused about the whole process. Call - invited for interview weekend, but email stated that it was a recruitment weekend. So if I got an invite does this mean I have a really good chance of getting accepted?

Also - what do people wear to interview here? I tried asking the Grad Coordinator but she won't respond to my email. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by microarray

Lol, you asked the grad coordinator what to wear? I will wear my slacks and a blouse with a casual blazer and definitely flats (you know, the kind of stuff you see at Express). This is my style of clothing so to me it's appropriate. If you want to wear jeans, I'd say go with really dark denim that is tailored nicely. I don't think just because it says recruitment, it means automatic acceptance. When you think about it, they are recruiting during interviews. However, I think you got some pretty good chances since they are paying to bring you there.

Edited by aba1984

Lol, you asked the grad coordinator what to wear?

I asked her the dress code for the events. Some schools are super casual, and some aren't. I just don't want to be over or underdressed. 

Slacks, blouses, blazers, etc aren't part of my daily clothing, and I don't want to buy them if I don't have to.

Edited by microarray

Has anyone gone through the interview process at Michigan State before? I am extremely nervous about the presentation that we have to give and I want to be as prepared as I can.

Also, I'm confused about the whole process. Call - invited for interview weekend, but email stated that it was a recruitment weekend. So if I got an invite does this mean I have a really good chance of getting accepted?

Also - what do people wear to interview here? I tried asking the Grad Coordinator but she won't respond to my email. 

Hey I'm super nervous about the presentation too..which program within bms are you applying to? 

Microbiology, you?

cell and molecular biology...I wished they showed us a sample presentation so I know what kind of format or level of detail to go into..are you going to be at the January interview?

I agree with you there, that's why I was hoping we'd get some feedback on here from those that went last year.

Yes, i'll be at the January interview. I actually have to fly out a day earlier due to multiple layovers (Gonna take me ~12 hours to get there!! Unfortunately, only way to get there from my small Uni town. I asked to go a day earlier because there is no way I would have made it in time for the Thursday presentation/dinner.

cool I'll be at the January interview and I'm flying out a day early too since its going to take me awhile to get there.. your location said CA..is that where your flying from? 

Yes - flying from my tiny town to SF, SF to O'Hare, O'Hare to Lansing

Wow really..that is exactly the same flight I have...I wonder if you are suppose to be my roommate..cause I know that the person I'm rooming with is also flying with me from SFO

Microarray, this is very off topic, but I see you are a microbial ecology person too! So am I. I don't know if you'd have any advice for me, but I'm having trouble deciding which programs I want to apply to at a couple of schools. I don't know if it would be better for me to apply to microbiology program or the ecology program at one school, and then at another school I am tempted to apply to the cell&molec program rather than the ecology program. Both schools have mentors I am interested in who I think would be able to advise me from either program. If you had any advice, I'd appreciate it. Edited by medullate

Microarray, this is very off topic, but I see you are a microbial ecology person too! So am I. I don't know if you'd have any advice for me, but I'm having trouble deciding which programs I want to apply to at a couple of schools. I don't know if it would be better for me to apply to microbiology program or the ecology program at one school, and then at another school I am tempted to apply to the cell&molec program rather than the ecology program. Both schools have mentors I am interested in who I think would be able to advise me from either program. If you had any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Oo I like your icon! Twin Peaks = best.

I think the best advice is to look at all possible departments and see who you would want to work with, and go from there. Apply to places where there are multiple people that you'd like to work with - if they do lab rotations. Personally, i'm more drawn to the ecology departments, but I think that's just due to my strong interest in microbial community ecology. I also want to have an even stronger background in ecology and evolution.

I should add that it took me several months of research to find microbial ecologists that I was really interested in, and I had to look in several departments. But, I mainly focused on schools that were in the states that I could see myself living in for the next 5-6 years.

Edited by microarray

• 2 weeks later...

My advice for the presentation from a current MSU student: NO MATTER WHAT, do /not/ go over the 10min.  In fact, keep it about 8 minutes, to leave room for questions.

For the dress code - nice clothes, but not uber fancy. My PI said: No suits or uber-formal wear, but don't wear something your mother wouldn't want to see on you!
I suggest khakis (maybe black pants) with a nice shirt for girls.  I guess similar for guys, but as I am not a guy.. :P  I wouldn't really wear jeans..

For shoes, I think something between tennis and dress shoes.  I am wearing a pair of nice, COMFORTABLE boot-things.  Comfort tends to be one of the major suggestions, from everyone.

(See you guys at the January weekend!)

Hey all. I was a BMS applicant last year, currently attending MSU (though I just switched into the Plant Bio program from the BMS Genetics program). They told me casual clothes was fine, but I would encourage you to wear NICE casual clothes. For me, that was khaki pants, a decent shirt, and a semi-casual blazer. I wore boots because there was a snowstorm. They won't judge you on that. You really shouldn't wear anything like dirty sneakers to any interview no matter what they tell you the dress code is... dress to impress! But do be comfortable.

I interviewed during one of the plant science fellowship weekends, so I did not do a BMS presentation. You can ask me anything else you are wondering about though. Good luck!

Hey all. I was a BMS applicant last year, currently attending MSU (though I just switched into the Plant Bio program from the BMS Genetics program). They told me casual clothes was fine, but I would encourage you to wear NICE casual clothes. For me, that was khaki pants, a decent shirt, and a semi-casual blazer. I wore boots because there was a snowstorm. They won't judge you on that. You really shouldn't wear anything like dirty sneakers to any interview no matter what they tell you the dress code is... dress to impress! But do be comfortable.

I interviewed during one of the plant science fellowship weekends, so I did not do a BMS presentation. You can ask me anything else you are wondering about though. Good luck!

Hi, I was wondering what the interview was like and what type of questions should we expect from the faculty? thanks

Hey guys! I am also going to the Jan 9th interview...and I'm super nervous about the presentation as well. Erk...

I emailed the graduate coordinator, and she said to dress sensibly--as in, no skirts and heels, because it will be super cold. Has anyone received a list of their interviewers yet? They said that they would send out personalized itineraries but I have yet to receive one. 

The presentation won't be a big deal, as long as you practice a bit.

MSU has been closed the last two days, so Becky/Betty have been unable to send out information regarding the interview weekends.  Most people get a graduate student to take them around to their interviews and whatnot, and that has all been assigned internally already.  The university will almost certainly be open tomorrow, and with it the information regarding interview weekends should be sent.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I am a current student at MSU.  See you all there!

Hey guys! I am also going to the Jan 9th interview...and I'm super nervous about the presentation as well. Erk...

I emailed the graduate coordinator, and she said to dress sensibly--as in, no skirts and heels, because it will be super cold. Has anyone received a list of their interviewers yet? They said that they would send out personalized itineraries but I have yet to receive one. 

I received my list of interviewers today but its  only a draft so not all the faculty is on there 

The presentation won't be a big deal, as long as you practice a bit.

MSU has been closed the last two days, so Becky/Betty have been unable to send out information regarding the interview weekends.  Most people get a graduate student to take them around to their interviews and whatnot, and that has all been assigned internally already.  The university will almost certainly be open tomorrow, and with it the information regarding interview weekends should be sent.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I am a current student at MSU.  See you all there!

Hey do you know how many students get accepted into the MSU BMS program or what the approximate acceptance rate is for those that get interviews? thanks!

Hey do you know how many students get accepted into the MSU BMS program or what the approximate acceptance rate is for those that get interviews? thanks!

I don't have an exact number, but it feels like a majority of people who interview get accepted.

Hi, I was wondering what the interview was like and what type of questions should we expect from the faculty? thanks

It varies depending on the faculty. Some of them just talk about their research the whole time and in that case the conversation is really easy, and you can just ask questions here and there and make comments on what you think. Some of them will ask you scientific questions. I for example was asked what I thought about some microarray results by one of the faculty. I do hear that some professors just ask more questions and make the interview more difficult. As with anything, it depends on who you're meeting with. Chances are that most of your individual faculty meetings will go just fine though, and they all have a say on your acceptance so it's not something to agonize over.

As for acceptance rates, they do make it sound like most people who interview get accepted and I think this is true. Just be polite and curious about people's work and I'm sure you'll do fine.

It was fun talking to you guys!

It's a little bit weird knowing that I talked to some of you (make believe!) forum people in real life, without actually being able to connect the face to the username.  But I'm sure at some point we got to talk, and based upon what was said in conversation regarding research interests, and matching that to the forums I think most of us can make pretty reasonable guesses as to who is who ^_~.

For better or worse, what you saw this weekend was an accurate representation of what it is actually like here.  In terms of research, as well as interaction between faculty and graduate students, and interactions between graduate students and graduate students.  No one really attempted to hide anything about the program, since it is to no one's benefit to have someone come here only for them to find out they hate it.

Rumor has it from the powers-that-be that out of all of the people interviewed, about 85% will get accepted.

Maybe I'll see you again in August! :D

I had such a great time this weekend. After the presentation was over, I was much more relaxed, and the interviews were really casual.

I talked to Dr. DePres on Satruday night and he said that they would be getting back to us within a week. They'll go through all applicants and make 3 piles: accept, waitlist, and reject. He mentioned they will not be able to take as many students this year as they usually do. My roommate talked to one of the grad secretaries and she mentioned they were going to be extending offers to around 80 students. Out of 58 (first weekend) + 40 something (second weekend), this is really good odds that most of us will get in!

*fingers crossed*

DuongVat - no idea if i met you, but I really appreciated how nice all grad students were. I was blown away by how much I liked MSU! Seems like such a great community and a great place to do science :rolleyes:

I had such a great time this weekend. After the presentation was over, I was much more relaxed, and the interviews were really casual.

I talked to Dr. DePres on Satruday night and he said that they would be getting back to us within a week. They'll go through all applicants and make 3 piles: accept, waitlist, and reject. He mentioned they will not be able to take as many students this year as they usually do. My roommate talked to one of the grad secretaries and she mentioned they were going to be extending offers to around 80 students. Out of 58 (first weekend) + 40 something (second weekend), this is really good odds that most of us will get in!

*fingers crossed*

DuongVat - no idea if i met you, but I really appreciated how nice all grad students were. I was blown away by how much I liked MSU! Seems like such a great community and a great place to do science :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!! Can't wait! :)

You're right, I think my favorite part about the weekend was how great it seemed to be a graduate student there... so many facilities and places to cater to the needs of the grad students.   Thanks again for showing us around!!