Harvard DrPH

dr_hopeful

100 views and no response. Is DrPh such an unpopular degree?

i know a lot of people who've applied to the harvard drph, however, it was very confusing to know what exactly they are looking for in applicants. Two , also had a hard time figuring out what courses were going to be taught.SO i decided to apply to the EPI SD instead.

Same here as well. I am confused on what type of individuals HSPH are seeking for the DrPh.

I have around 6 years work experience. I was torn between applying for a PhD vs DrPh. Time is in an important factor for me, I didn't want to spend 4-5 years on a degree. In the end I decided to apply to DrPh programs in the US and PhD programs in the UK (usually takes 3 years to finish a PhD in the UK). 

Same here as well. I am confused on what type of individuals HSPH are seeking for the DrPh.

I have around 6 years work experience. I was torn between applying for a PhD vs DrPh. Time is in an important factor for me, I didn't want to spend 4-5 years on a degree. In the end I decided to apply to DrPh programs in the US and PhD programs in the UK (usually takes 3 years to finish a PhD in the UK). 

which programs (schools) are you applying to in the uk? i was also considering applying to the UK schools  but many programs want you to write a research proposal first.. i simply do not have the time right now . Columbia, hopkins, berkeley etc offer  good drph programs . i just felt like a lot of people applying to the new harvard Drph are just going after the brand. I do not see how different it is. Two they are still busy remodelling the curriculum . i am sure your work experience makes you a competitve applicant.

For UK, prior to admission it is essential to have a supervisor agreeing/interested in working with you. You then work with your potential supervisor to write a research proposal.

I'm applying to Oxford, Cambridge and LSHTM and Imperial. It's easier for me to get funding in the UK as I am a home student. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi dr_hopeful!

I applied to the Harvard DrPH as well, but haven't heard anything. Have you or anyone you know received an interview invitation? 

Thanks and good luck!

Kay

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email invite to interview via Skype with a DrPH Admissions Committee member next week! It's a really short time frame, and I wasn't expecting to hear back on a Saturday morning, but I'm not complaining :)

de_neve, congrats! Wishing you all best.

May I know what your field of study is and whether you have work experience? It's just to give me an idea about what they expect from the applicants. Many thanks!

Thanks, kay123 & M.waiting! I rarely check the forums, so I apologize for the delay. I'm not a believer in your stats being the end all be all of admissions, but I'll share if it helps y'all. I graduated with honors for my BA and high MPH GPA from top public universities. My GRE is above average for verbal and below average for quant (my Achilles' heel!). I worked after undergad in cancer prevention research and as a health educator focusing on chronic disease prevention. Currently, I'm working in ACA policy and implementation for a County health department. My interests generally are in health policy advocacy for place-based, health equity initiatives.

dr_hopeful: Yep, I've had the interview. I think it went ok. It wasn't intimidating at all and felt more like a conversation. They're interviewing candidates through the end of this week and will make their decisions soon. Did anybody else get an interview invite?

Thanks, dr_hopeful!

I don't mind sharing my stats: undergrad in physics (top ten liberal arts), masters in engineering (ivy), both GPAs below 3.5, GRE: high verbal, above avg quant but not as high as verbal (don't know what happened there), 2+ years management consulting, 4+ years work/research in global health, health informatics, and strategy at international organizations focused on public health.

How about you? kay123? M.waiting? Anyone else have stats to share?

So I was excited about the DrPH program at Harvard because it appears to be one of the only DrPH's in the US (correct me if I'm wrong) that does not explicitly require a master's degree beforehand. From the stats here, looks like they might be mostly looking for people with a combination of more work experience/degrees. I have 3 years work experience--starting to think they should have crafted their requirements a bit better! Still have heard nothing, congrats to those that were accepted!

great to hear from you guys! i interviewed too last week.

so here's what i know:

they're interviewing ppl this week, and they interviewed ppl last week too. decisions should be made by the end of this month at which point they'll let students know. eeep! quick turn around time. 

i'm not sure how many ppl they are interviewing, but they only have 15 spots. tehy said its HIGHLY COMPETITIVE and that they had 275 applicants this year.

saving_the_world: thank for sharing! I have an MPH from an okay school, GPA 3.7, a GIS Certificate GPA 4.0, GRE 160V 151Q 4.0A (not thrilled about Q), two fellowships, one at NIH and one with government, two years research experience in health disparities using geospatial methods, two publications and a few other on the way. But, I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm kind of ready to believe it may not happen this year. 

sante, how about yourself? Can you share a little information on your professional background? Good luck, everyone! 

I haven't gotten an interview request. 

Stats: 

Undergrad at a top 20 university : 3.1 gpa

M.A. in International Studies at a top 3 university: 3.6 gpa

MPH from a decent state program: 3.4 gpa

GRE scores 162 v 150q 4.0a (did better 7 years ago)

Background: Hispanic male

4+ years work research experience at a top research medical school. Internship with the Dept. of Health as a data analyst. Part-time researcher on a global health project. Zero publications. 

Edited by mochithegato