Dress code

acetylcholine

I'm not completely sure of the dress code at graduate school interviews in the biological sciences.

I bought a suit yesterday, but I've been hearing that not only is this sometimes not appropriate for some schools, but that also multiple outfits are required for more informal meetings.  Can someone give a reasonably detailed explanation of what is appropriate for different kinds of meetings during interview weekends ?

I covered some interview attire in my blog entry this week, but your suit is probably appropriate for interview day with business casual outfits for the rest of the weekend. Possibly get a few nice blouses and one or two pairs of pants that you can interchange the shirts with. Then you'll have lots of options. Comfort is key, so wear comfortable shoes.

It is "Question 6" because I'm too lazy to type it out, again. >.< 

Edited by biotechie

When I interviewed last year I think I saw maybe 1 guy out of multiple interviews wearing a suit. It won't hurt I suppose, it is just not necessary, most people wore business casual.

Microarray, not sure if you're male or female, but I am female and just did a couple of visits/informal preliminary interviews in snowy weather and wore black, calf-high boots that are waterproof but look more business casual than like snow boots. It worked well and it turned out lots of people on campus were wearing the same style of boots. Very few were wearing the outdoorsy style of snow boots. Hope that helps!

What about schools that will definitely have snow on campus? Is it inappropriate to wear snow boots?

When I attended grad school in snowy regions, I usually wore snow boots to school, but then changed into a pair of more comfortable shoes indoors. Most of the offices in my hallways had boot trays for people to put their snowy boots in (so that the melted snow doesn't spill everywhere). So, I think that if you only wore snow boots, it would be understandable, but if you will have a place to store your stuff while you're visiting then consider a change of shoes too! I'm not in biology but for every visit/interview I had, they generally set you up with an area to leave your bags/coats/umbrellas/etc for the day. Sometimes you might even get a desk. So you can ask in advance or you can just bring the extra shoes and not change into them if you can't take off boots.

Edited by TakeruK

Microarray, not sure if you're male or female, but I am female and just did a couple of visits/informal preliminary interviews in snowy weather and wore black, calf-high boots that are waterproof but look more business casual than like snow boots. It worked well and it turned out lots of people on campus were wearing the same style of boots. Very few were wearing the outdoorsy style of snow boots. Hope that helps!

Can you tell me what brand of boots you have? I'm vegan, and i'm having difficulty finding warm, non-leather boots.

When I attended grad school in snowy regions, I usually wore snow boots to school, but then changed into a pair of more comfortable shoes indoors. Most of the offices in my hallways had boot trays for people to put their snowy boots in (so that the melted snow doesn't spill everywhere). So, I think that if you only wore snow boots, it would be understandable, but if you will have a place to store your stuff while you're visiting then consider a change of shoes too! I'm not in biology but for every visit/interview I had, they generally set you up with an area to leave your bags/coats/umbrellas/etc for the day. Sometimes you might even get a desk. So you can ask in advance or you can just bring the extra shoes and not change into them if you can't take off boots.

Great idea, i'll ask ahead and see if there's a place to store boots. I'm pretty sure I will have to walk far across campus, so it will be nice to have snow boots to keep my toes nice and warm! Thanks!

I'm a female, would it be "business casual" to wear a dress?

I wore something like this (http://www.lulus.com/images/product/large/bMGi6651redB.JPG) with black thermal leggings and nice dark grey ankle boots when I presented a poster at a nearby university, and my PI said maybe I should wear that outfit for my interviews. I think it might be too casual. Thoughts? 

I wore something like this (http://www.lulus.com/images/product/large/bMGi6651redB.JPG) with black thermal leggings and nice dark grey ankle boots when I presented a poster at a nearby university, and my PI said maybe I should wear that outfit for my interviews. I think it might be too casual. Thoughts? 

I personally avoided a dress at all costs because I didn't want to have to worry about trying to remain modest or being cold indoors. At the very least, try to get a skirt at the knee, not much shorter. There were professors complaining about how short some of the girls' skirts were at my interviews. The dress you linked is a little too casual for my taste, and probably at the shortest I would trust for even the casual part of the interview. I'd wear something dressier for your actual interview.

For example, a dress like this with a cute sweater or blazer (assuming the dress is long enough) would be okay if you're dead set on a dress.

http://www.maurices.com/product/index.jsp?expcsl=1082351%7C%7C&productId=24271566

I personally avoided a dress at all costs because I didn't want to have to worry about trying to remain modest or being cold indoors. At the very least, try to get a skirt at the knee, not much shorter. There were professors complaining about how short some of the girls' skirts were at my interviews. The dress you linked is a little too casual for my taste, and probably at the shortest I would trust for even the casual part of the interview. I'd wear something dressier for your actual interview.

For example, a dress like this with a cute sweater or blazer (assuming the dress is long enough) would be okay if you're dead set on a dress.

http://www.maurices.com/product/index.jsp?expcsl=1082351%7C%7C&productId=24271566

I agree it's a bit on the casual side, but I wouldn't worry much about the length of the skirt since you're wearing it with black leggings. As long as it's not too blatantly short, a bit above the knees should be fine with leggings. In fact, that's the outfit I usually prefer for all-day interviews or conferences. A dress is more comfortable than pants in my opinion, and the leggings keep me warm and modest. Of course adding a blazer would look even more professional and stylish, as well as provide more protection against the evil AC.

I'm a male.  I think most of the time I will probably just wear a nice light colored dress shirt and some dress pants with black shoes and belt.  Not sure if I want to wear my jacket or not, I never really feel comfortable in it.

I think that is fine. That's what a lot of the guys wore at the MCB and Immunology interviews I was at last year. The guys in suits just seemed overdressed and uncomfortable. Most of the male professors had on a nice dress shirt and nice dress pants, so I don't think you'll be underdressed. :)

Can you tell me what brand of boots you have? I'm vegan, and i'm having difficulty finding warm, non-leather boots.

The business-casual-ish ones I mentioned may have some leather; I'm not sure of the brand and don't have them with me on vacation. For really warm snow boots I have a Sorel brand pair that I think is leather-free. They're sort of a duck shoe style but good for snow and even very cold temps.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for business casual dress pants for women, especially for an athletic/non-curvy build? I would like to have something on hand besides my usual jeans for interviews.

I have wide hips, but no other curves. Dress pants from Maurice's always work out for me: www.maurices.com.

Otherwise, it only costs a couple of bucks to get pants tailored!

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for business casual dress pants for women, especially for an athletic/non-curvy build? I would like to have something on hand besides my usual jeans for interviews.

I know that Express has a lot of dress pants for all styles and they are having a 50% off sale currently. http://www.express.com/clothing/Apparel/Dress+Pants/cat/cat320073

So my experience was Chemistry, which seems to be a bit more relaxed than biology, but:

I had first-night dinners all of my interviews/visits. At these, I dressed up a bit more- suit sans tie. It helped that it was cold. 

For days at the school, I tended to go dark jeans, dress shirt, jacket, with something other than sneakers (plain, functional leather cowboy boots are my go-to). 

I do the same for most conferences, and it seems popular. I also plan on doing the same for job interviews.

An alternative is to do matching slacks/vest and a dress shirt, with or without tie. Jacket can be taken off or left on, as you feel the mood suits, and you can always go with a tweed or something more casual than a black/navy suit.

You want to look like you take the interview seriously and are looking professional, while not looking like you couldn't step into a lab or classroom in what you are wearing, imo. Something that fits well, and is in good shape (and well made) is more important, in my opinion, than having the right components/cut/category. 

But then, half the faculty I met with were wearing T-shirts, cargo shorts, or Hawaiian shirts.

A bit of a silly question, but what do us women do about our purses? Do they walk around with their purses? I need my phone, car keys and deodorant with me lol.

I carried a nice patent leather bag that I could put a small notebook in as well. It was professional, and that was what most of the other girls did. I just carried my folder with resumes, information, etc. in it. Some programs will give you a bag.

Do yourself a favor and turn your phone off during interview day. The last thing you want is to have it go off during an interview with your favorite POI!

I've heard a lot of people say things like, "Girls, wear flats, because you'll be doing a lot of walking." I happen to be pretty short, and usually wear some kind of medium-height heel or wedge most days. I don't wear absurd stillettos, but I wouldn't want to go for a hike in my wedge booties, either. 

How much walking does one typically do at these interview weekends? Are we getting toured around the entire campus, or just walking between a few rooms in a building? 

I've heard a lot of people say things like, "Girls, wear flats, because you'll be doing a lot of walking." I happen to be pretty short, and usually wear some kind of medium-height heel or wedge most days. I don't wear absurd stillettos, but I wouldn't want to go for a hike in my wedge booties, either. 

How much walking does one typically do at these interview weekends? Are we getting toured around the entire campus, or just walking between a few rooms in a building? 

Don't forget that you may go and have lunch/dinner/drinks with faculty and/or current graduate students, and these places may be up a 15-20 minute walk away from campus/the department you're visiting.