Dress code

acetylcholine

I'm female.  For my interviews last year I went more formal-  Business skirt, blouse, jacket, nylons & short heels.  Small jewelry.   For the interviews I cared less about I also brought black dress pants and a nicer sweater and black flats so I could decide that morning- in 1 interview I ended up wearing this outfit.  Either outfit would have been fine.  The interviews also varied in how dressed the other candidates were: in the more "formal" ones I was in the middle of the pack, but there was one where I was the most dressed up.  I'm just more comfortable dressed professionally.

I've heard a lot of people say things like, "Girls, wear flats, because you'll be doing a lot of walking." I happen to be pretty short, and usually wear some kind of medium-height heel or wedge most days. I don't wear absurd stillettos, but I wouldn't want to go for a hike in my wedge booties, either. 

How much walking does one typically do at these interview weekends? Are we getting toured around the entire campus, or just walking between a few rooms in a building? 

My potential advisor took me on a campus tour during my visit, but there wasn't a program-wide tour. There were meetings/lunches in a few different buildings though, which required walking around campus. I wore wedge boots and didn't have a problem, but they were comfortable boots and I wear wedges for walking quite frequently. 

What are some tips for guys in terms of interview apparel? Shirt, tie, slacks?

How about for events like a broadway play (sloan kettering), etc? Should we wear/bring a suit for these?

Thanks!