Where to start? Educational Theory

liebkuchen

Some background. I have a 2i in Educational Studies from an English university graduating in 2001.Due to chronic depression I'm currently not able to work. A masters degree in ed research with a focus on the philosophy/theory/politics of education is one of several possible routes once I'm well enough (I still love the subject). Right now, I just want to mix testing the waters with trying to improve my concentration/ writing so constructing a paper or two purely for self-interest would be really helpful on several levels working on it a bit every day. 

Resource wise, right now, I'm limited to the internet and my local public library.Being in the UK, the Open University would be the obvious starting point but their education courses are practically driven and their social sciences department seems to be in cardiac arrest... I could apply for membership to the large university library in the next city by virtue of getting my teaching qualification there. However, I'm physically restricted by my anxiety in travelling alone to a few particular bus routes in my home town (I don't have a car) so physical borrowing is going to be difficult until I can get over that hump as dragging a family member with me isn't practical due to their own work and family responsibilities. 

I'm assuming a literary review would be impractical for now. If I were to write my own work using news articles and papers published online as well as the basic education and philosophy books available in my local library, would this have any value in exploring ideas and getting into a critical thinking and writing mode? Or would the limited sources, particularly of contemporary research and reviewed papers be so poorly substantiated as to make any writing an op ed piece? Are there any other resources online that I could utilise?

I realise the work wouldn't be of application standard given my restrictions at the moment- nor does it need to be. But how can I make best use of the resources available to me?

Many thanks.