Materials Science & Engineering - Fall 2014

84Runner

I wonder why there isn't any buzz about Vanderbilt IMS. Their scholarly output is off the charts and for their size ,they are probably the best out there. 

Their $43K tuition deterred me from applying to Vanderbilt.

All of my acceptances were unfunded... if I had a great applicant profile, I might have received some financial assistance... but a 3.33 GPA + MS applicant = no funding.

Dang that sucks. You should have given the PhD programs a shot. All my acceptances were for PhD and they are fully funded. My stats arn't great either.

I don't want a PhD :)

I would be looking for them like right now.. TA/RA's don't always get passed out like free candy. People will be fighting for those

TA/RAs go to PhD students first... and I have no research experience. I don't stand a chance. I MIGHT get an RA after working in a lab for a while and proving myself.

Anyone know of a list of schools with late admission deadlines? Haven't heard from any applied to at this point. Would prefer east coast but open to anywhere in the US.

Anyone know of a list of schools with late admission deadlines? Haven't heard from any applied to at this point. Would prefer east coast but open to anywhere in the US.

California State University system might have some campuses that are still accepting applications. San Jose State University, for example, is accepting applications until May 1st.

http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/prospective_students/deadlines/fall_domestic/

Does any one know about Boise State University... Is it good??

All I know is that Micron recruits heavily from them. Micron develops semiconductor devices (particularly memory). Micron and Samsung are the largest semiconductor memory companies. My uncle works for them, BSU has a good reputation (and football team I... I think they are really well known?).

Edited by Bruin4Ever

All I know is that Micron recruits heavily from them. Micron develops semiconductor devices (particularly memory). Micron and Samsung are the largest semiconductor memory companies. My uncle works for them, BSU has a good reputation (and football team I... I think they are really well known?).

Boise is in Idaho. And their football team is overrated. (and blue turf? b* please)

But anyway, my background is in chemical engineering, so I'm not educated on semiconductors. However, I've worked on polymers throughout college, and am interested in working with organic semi conductors and conducting polymers, which will be a merge between the two. Anyone have a good perspective on where this field is going? I've heard that the field of OPV's is pretty saturated right now, and that flexible electronics is in the same boat. Perhaps those of you in Cali can shed some light on this.

California State University system might have some campuses that are still accepting applications. San Jose State University, for example, is accepting applications until May 1st.

http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/prospective_students/deadlines/fall_domestic/

Thanks Star, saw that in an earlier thread. Heard from two schools yesterday!

Thanks Star, saw that in an earlier thread. Heard from two schools yesterday!

Sorry abut that, forgot I had already posted it. Congrats on hearing from 2 schools, I hope it was good news!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I would like to pursue Ph.D in MSE (2015) and  I am interested in energy and biomaterials. 

I have a non-thesis masters in MSE from U Arizona (3.3GPA, 2 Cs) and BA in Physics and Math(GPA 3.43; 1C, 1D). 3.5 years industry experience in medical device industry. 2 publications in glass science from my undergraduate research. Good extracurricular activities--president of a non-profit.

What should I shoot for my GRE? What are my chances in UIUC, UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UCLA, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Irvine if I get decent GRE score?

Thanks
Biswas.