Materials Science & Engineering - Fall 2014

84Runner

Anyone applying to MS programs?

I did.

Has anyone here applied to UC Davis? Their application status link tells me they have received all my materials (LORs, GRE, transcripts) but the status hasn't changed to "your application has been submitted to the Admissions Committee for review" or anything like that. Wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

Not too much data from years past about Harvard SEAS, anyone have an idea of how the admits for that works (spread out, all at once, etc.)  or when the visit day is?

Did you apply to Mechanical Engineering (with focus on Materials Science)? If so, I could only find one post in the Results section and it was from two days ago. Maybe they're just starting to admit people this week...

I'm waiting too. I have seen a few admits coming out from UCB and Caltech. One international applicant seems to have got an admit from Caltech (according to the results page in gradcafe) and that too on 26 Dec. The deadline was 1st Jan as far as I remember. Wonder how the decision was made before application deadline.

Caltech had their matsci interviews here over the last couple days.  (source: I scavenged some food from their pre-interview breakfast.)

Hey guys,

I have applied to MS and PhD programs in Materials Science. 

GRE: 169 (Q), 163(V), 3.5 (AWA).

TOEFL: 118

GPA: 8.6/10 (Indian University: Top of my class in Ceramic Engineering)

Papers Published: 2 papers in international peer reviewed journals

Interests: Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Photovoltaics, Materials for energy applications

Applied to: UIUC, MIT, Stanford (for MS)

Caltech, Penn State, UW at Madison, Ohio State Uni., RPI, Univ of Texas at Austin, Georgia Tech, Carnegie Mellon, University of Maryland, Univ. of Tennessee at Knoxville, Rutgers,                         University of Cambridge

Rejected: MIT

Accepted: UIUC (Non-thesis program, no funding  :( )

Interview call: University of Cambridge

What are my chances of getting funding at UIUC once I am there? I have a lot of research experience and know how to work with a good range of characterization equipment. Would getting an RA job, once I am on campus become easier? Also, a friend who got into Cornell was telling me that since I got an MS admission call so early, it might mean that I am on their 'priority list' (or A-list going by what was posted earlier) and so if I accept the offer now, I might be able to secure some funding. Their email clearly stated that "Self-funded students are expected to remain self-funded during the entire program. You will not be eligible for a tuition waiver or a teaching or research assistantship."

I don't want to commit this early as I still have majority of my applications still awaiting results. Any help of the above questions ?

Thanks guys.

Hey, I have applied to GAtech my gre is 155Q and 154V analytical 3.5 I have Ugrad gpa of 3.56/4.00 and if excluding the first year it will be 3.8/4.00 Toefl is 111 do anyone of you think I have shot at getting in I have also applied to Umass amhears and Uni of Houston for chemcial engineering . I am really tensed and would be glad to get some insight

Sorry to burst your bubble, but as Ga Tech and any school's website will tell you, evaluation is based on a combination of test scores, grades, recommendations, and your statement of purpose. At best, we have only half of those things in your post, so it's impossible to say.

Based on the stats you gave, and based on unofficial assessments of average GRE scores for admitted applicants (http://magoosh.com/gre/2013/gre-scores-for-engineering-programs/), you may be below the minimum needed.  But again, adcoms look at the whole package, so you may have a stellar work record or something that would counterbalance the GRE score.

Given the relative ranking of Houston and UMass, your chances are probably much better there.

Hey guys,

Adding my results (so far) here:

Accepted w/ full funding: Stanford, MIT

Rejected: Cornell

Waiting on: Harvard, McGill

I'm not too concerned with my rejected/waiting on list at the moment, since I'm pretty content with the offers I've received.

Uhh, stats are:

GRE: 165 Q, 159 W, 4.5 AW

GPA: 3.9/4.0

Publications: two conf. papers, two undergrad journal papers, a couple others in the submission process

Research: About 6 years of experience (started in high school)

Scholarships: Large full-tuition undergrad scholarship, two NSERC grants

Edited by eddotman

Hey guys,

I'm not too concerned with my rejected/waiting on list at the moment, since I'm pretty content with the offers I've received.

Uhh, stats are:

Publications: two conf. papers, two undergrad journal papers, a couple others in the submission process

It's good that you are content. I cannot imagine anyone plucking hairs and biting nails after receiving admits from Stanford and MIT!

Does anybody know if UF has sent out the results for PhD? I am a MSE major and I saw few people got back from UF! Also do you know if Northwestern is still reviewing any applications? it seems some people got acceptance. I have only heard back from  UIUC so far!

Thank you

Hey everyone, looks like a couple of people heard back from Penn. Where did you check for admission? The application page isn't telling me anything, so I'm just wondering if I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, looks like a couple of people heard back from Penn. Where did you check for admission? The application page isn't telling me anything, so I'm just wondering if I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks!

There is a post underneath Recommendation Providers area saying Decision Status Available beginning 2/19/2014. Don't worry if you don't have it...you may still be in the race!

Does anybody know if UF has sent out the results for PhD? I am a MSE major and I saw few people got back from UF! Also do you know if Northwestern is still reviewing any applications? it seems some people got acceptance. I have only heard back from  UIUC so far!

Thank you

Hi,

I have once emailed the coordinator, Here is her reply:

when we receive a decision from the Committee, you will be emailed. It is a very competitive process, and many of our top applicants have already received their decisions. Regards- 

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea about UCB admission process? I know that some of the results are already sent out; but anyone knows when the final decision is??!!!

Waiting it out is actually getting on my nerve these days. I am constantly checking the gradcafe days in and out.

Please share.

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea about UCB admission process? I know that some of the results are already sent out; but anyone knows when the final decision is??!!!

Waiting it out is actually getting on my nerve these days. I am constantly checking the gradcafe days in and out.

Please share.

One guy I know contacted the program coordinator. She replied saying they would give out all the decisions last week. But apparently there has been a delay. 

Edited by kadder

Grads14, on 19 Feb 2014 - 1:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Thank you

Hi,

I have once emailed the coordinator, Here is her reply:

when we receive a decision from the Committee, you will be emailed. It is a very competitive process, and many of our top applicants have already received their decisions. Regards- 

Thanks for sharing the info with me. They are claiming many of their top applicants got admission but few people just updated their status from UF here! so it means some of them did not update! I believe this year the admission process of several universities runs slowly and they have to sort out all applicants based on their LORs, Scores and GPA, Gatech has already sent out some results but is still reviewing application for PhD.

One guy I know contacted the program coordinator. She replied saying they would give out all the decisions last week. But apparently there has been a delay. 

Wow so if they don't send it out this week, they are seriously running behind (2 weeks after what they said?).

Hey guys,

Uhh, stats are:

If you don't mind, when did you hear from Stanford?  I'm still waiting on replies from Stanford and UCSB.  Just got the Berkeley rejection earlier today and it's making me a little nervous.