McGill Anthropology research proposal?

aboutdesouffle

Hello,

Is anyone else applying to McGill's phd program? 

Am just now uploading my docs and see that on the upload page it lists, along with the CV, SoP, and Sample of Written Work, a "Research Proposal". My proposal is contained in my SoP which I was writing per the requirements on the the Mcgill anthro admissions page ( http://www.mcgill.ca/anthropology/graduate/admissions ), which doesn't mention a research proposal separate from a personal statement. I was going off that page and now I'm a little thrown off, worried about not having all the required docs!

Has anyone asked about this?, the office is closed between now at the due date.

Thanks.

I feel you. These schools with deadlines the day they re-open from winter breaks... what in the world is that about!? I've been seeing LOR writers complaining about it as well on twitter. Seems to annoy everyone. Can't imagine it's fun for the department to return from a break to a pile of frantic student emails either.

Also, feel you on the 'surprises' in online applications. Most of the schools I've applied to have a list on the department page, and then when you're in the online application suddenly they ask for a 300 word version of your statement, or a paragraph about X, Y, and Z. Incredibly annoying.

So, on the McGill site, about admissions they say: "PhD applicants should have a fairly well-delineated research problem. To judge this factor, we give serious attention to the Statement of Purpose, considering its degree of focus, intellectual sophistication, and creativity."

It seems that this means they would be quite happy with a research proposal style SOP that ties your research into a good fit with the department. Which it sounds like you've done.

The anthropology site does not list an additional document in their list on the web page. Is there a chance that the online form is providing that space for programs that want two separate documents? Does it seem to be optional, is it anthro specific or is it a generic part of the online app?

Based on the instructions on their departmental web site, I would feel comfortable submitting your SOP, skipping the research proposal. And then sending them an email asking about it. Obviously if you've submitted all the documents on the list, your application is on time. And if they say "you can give us a longer research proposal if you want" - then you can send them one after the deadline.

P.S. - this may sound odd, but if you've had great conversations with your POIs there, don't be afraid to send them a quick note asking if they know what that's about.  I've had many POIs close emails with "don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I can help with" - and they mean it!

P.P.S - here's a different page listing the requirements for Anthro that I just found linked to by the general grad admissions page:

http://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/anthropology-0

Interestingly, this other page lists different requirements than the anthropology department page:

Additional Requirements
The items and clarifications below are additional requirements set by this department:
  • GRE results
  • TOEFL – for non-anglophone and non-francophone applicants
  • Written Work – can be in the form of a graded paper or a chapter from a thesis and must be in English or French
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Miscellaneous Information Sheet (available at www.mcgill.ca/anthropology/graduate/admissions)

thanks

yeah I was considering sending a msg to my poi but hated to bother them over the break, though considering all of this again, I think it'll really all be fine, I appreciate your research. The upload page says all items (research proposal incl.) are mandatory unless otherwise noted. A bit ambiguous, but I feel that that the anthro admissions page is pretty clear on what is required. I did see that other page you posted, which is a little disconcerting that they didn't change that due date and have slightly different wording on their requirements.

And one asks for a CV and the other doesn't. In my experience all programs request a CV - was there a place to upload one? Because if so, then that means the primary department list of requirements is missing the CV, so it could be missing something else. They also say all the PhD information is under construction, and to contact the dept.

Have you spoken to the grad secretary, the admissions person, etc?

I would email the POI - in fact, many of mine were more interested in emailing over the break because they felt like they had time finally!

hey aboutdesouffle, did you ever get an answer regarding this? i just left it blank and cause of the format of the application it was submitted anyway. but the second page still says incomplete application.. I messaged the department and still have heard nothing.

monfemme: No I have not heard from them. My application page says incomplete as well, but as you said, the format of their app means that it is submitted. I think we'll be okay.

Also, if you are going for cultural programs, from your signature it seems that we are applying to many of the same schools. best luck to you.

Also, if you are going for cultural programs, from your signature it seems that we are applying to many of the same schools. best luck to you.

yeah, I am going for cultural programs and best of luck to you too! that means we can update each other on which schools update when and the various waves. i hope we both get into our dream programs!

• 2 months later...

Hello! Has anyone here heard back from Mcgill yet? The website says "The department admissions committee announces its selections by mid-March" - so I am hoping to hear back from them soon :) - Thank you!!!!

Edited by pinkoffee89

Hello! Has anyone here heard back from Mcgill yet? The website says "The department admissions committee announces its selections by mid-March" - so I am hoping to hear back from them soon :) - Thank you!!!!

I spoke with the grad admin and she let me know that the committee is still making their decisions (I think they fell behind this year) and decisions should be coming by the end of the month!

I spoke with the grad admin and she let me know that the committee is still making their decisions (I think they fell behind this year) and decisions should be coming by the end of the month!

Thank you for sharing the info! It's so helpful know the timeframe of when we can expect to hear back :) little bit more patience then!

I did not apply to McGill, but I studied there and know the city quite well. If any of you have any questions in terms of apartment hunting, places to eat, the campus, or anything else really I'd be happy to answer them! :) 

I did not apply to McGill, but I studied there and know the city quite well. If any of you have any questions in terms of apartment hunting, places to eat, the campus, or anything else really I'd be happy to answer them! :)

Thank for the kind offer Melinan4! I definitely get in touch with you if I end up going to McGill. Montreal looks so fantastic :)

Thank for the kind offer Melinan4! I definitely get in touch with you if I end up going to McGill. Montreal looks so fantastic :)

It's an amazing city!!! I could gush over the food, the music, the people, and the cultural scene for pages. The only downside is the weather, but even that isn't so bad as long as you invest in a decent winter coat and good pair of boots! :D 

Anybody heard from McGill yet? The wait is killer because deadlines to accept offers are so soon!

I hear you- same here. Still waiting.... I finally got a response to the email I sent a few weeks ago -----and they said we should be hearing back by early next week. A few more days!