Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2014

King_Maro

Same here...

It Seems that the M.Eng program is much easier.  Some of my friends got their admission letters.  

Continue to wait for other schools .

amirali223, I think your background is very competitive,  Hope you can get your dream school.

It Seems that the M.Eng program is much easier.  Some of my friends got their admission letters.  

Continue to wait for other schools .

amirali223, I think your background is very competitive,  Hope you can get your dream school.

Thanks! You too!

Hi all,

I have read the thread, and I have a lot to say in mind, so I am summing everything in one reply. I think the different universities are waiting to the last minute, and that decisions this year are coming out later than last year, which is something I just cannot think of a reason to it. I noticed that most replies last year were in late February, early March, and late March early April. Here we are, almost mid March and very few schools replied.

I also think they are finishing decisions for masters before they decided on PhD's. Strangely enough, a friend of mine got an acceptance with a blunt "No Funding" into PhD at SUNY Buffalo. I find it strange that they did not reply to many people, but still told her "no funding".

Finally, I would like to share my stats as you all did. They are not really super, they are just average. I applied for Ms/PhD programs if the institution allows.

Undergrad GPA: 3.64/4.0 (American University in Cairo)
GRE: V:151, Q:160, AW:3.5
Experience: 1 year Teaching and Research Assistant.
Research: One Paper submitted, got initial acceptance asking for final manuscript.
Applied: UC Berkeley, UMich, Purdue, UIUC, UTexas Austin, SUNY Buffalo, UNevada Reno, UWashington Seattle, UC Irvine, IowaState.
Rejected:UMich
Accepted: --

I wish us all good luck.

Hi all,

I have read the thread, and I have a lot to say in mind, so I am summing everything in one reply. I think the different universities are waiting to the last minute, and that decisions this year are coming out later than last year, which is something I just cannot think of a reason to it. I noticed that most replies last year were in late February, early March, and late March early April. Here we are, almost mid March and very few schools replied.

I also think they are finishing decisions for masters before they decided on PhD's. Strangely enough, a friend of mine got an acceptance with a blunt "No Funding" into PhD at SUNY Buffalo. I find it strange that they did not reply to many people, but still told her "no funding".

Finally, I would like to share my stats as you all did. They are not really super, they are just average. I applied for Ms/PhD programs if the institution allows.

Undergrad GPA: 3.64/4.0 (American University in Cairo)

GRE: V:151, Q:160, AW:3.5

Experience: 1 year Teaching and Research Assistant.

Research: One Paper submitted, got initial acceptance asking for final manuscript.

Applied: UC Berkeley, UMich, Purdue, UIUC, UTexas Austin, SUNY Buffalo, UNevada Reno, UWashington Seattle, UC Irvine, IowaState.

Rejected:UMich

Accepted: --

I wish us all good luck.

Hey shngergis. I agree with you. Although there are some universities which announced their results (including Syracuse and Texas at San Antonio), but there are several major universities who hasn't. However, let's not jinx it!! ;) This is the second week of March, Let's buckle up and see what happens in this week.

Well,me too.I got the rejection letter from UC Berkeley This morning. 

Sad thing, wait for other schools. 

I intend to accept the ad from CMU....I thought maybe I could focus on some interdisciplinary researches related to computer science. Which maybe a better choice for my future career.. .

Well,me too.I got the rejection letter from UC Berkeley This morning. 

Sad thing, wait for other schools. 

I intend to accept the ad from CMU....I thought maybe I could focus on some interdisciplinary researches related to computer science. Which maybe a better choice for my future career.. .

Hey knight, you are applying for master, right? because CMU hasn't replied for phd applications yet...

Hey knight, you are applying for master, right? because CMU hasn't replied for phd applications yet...

Yeah.  I applied the M.S program. But it seem that CMU has offered every candidate with RA. It seemed a little bit weird..

Yeah.  I applied the M.S program. But it seem that CMU has offered every candidate with RA. It seemed a little bit weird..

Are you talking about the service asisstantship or RA? I know a person who got accepted into CMU but with a service asisstantship not an RA.

Untitled_2.jpg

We have almost completed the half of the table, but still no response from the five universities I applied. I screened the results up to date and results after this date, I figured out that the probability of getting rejection is significantly higher which made me worry. I would like to get your thoughts on increased rate of rejection, should I also decrease my hope of getting admission significantly? Good luck

Untitled_2.jpg

We have almost completed the half of the table, but still no response from the five universities I applied. I screened the results up to date and results after this date, I figured out that the probability of getting rejection is significantly higher which made me worry. I would like to get your thoughts on increased rate of rejection, should I also decrease my hope of getting admission significantly? Good luck

I know where you are coming from, im waiting out on the decision from some universities before making a decision myself, but the long draw on the other universities is making me doubt whether or not i got in. Im holding on to hope as i have yet to see Phd acceptances to the structural engineering programs at these other universities. The one admit i do have is without an assitantship. I was nominated for a tuition award, but have not received any further word on how this went.

It's frustrating that an admit can turn into a rejection if funding cannot be obtained.

Finally, i just want to tell you that the last thing u should lose is hope. I'm clinging to the idea that these universities are still deciding on funding, and this is why they are tsking so long. But this is just how i calm my anxiousness, anyway, even if it doesnt come thru, its not the end of the world. Sure, its money that went away, but next year u can try again, diffrent universities. In my case i have a fulbright nomination, so it is imperstive i procure an acceptance. I doubt the fulbright evaluation committee would aprove me for a second consecutive year... So this has to come thru for me, this year.

Wish u the best of luck.

(Where di u apply by the way?)

I am applying from Turkey. Your explanations are right in terms of funding. For example, last week UCB released the rejection decisions for most of the applicants, and I was not among them. They have not released my result yet, may be they are looking for funding for me (I hope).

Untitled_2.jpg

Hey Mobid. There is still nothing to worry about. It seems that the universities decided to reply back later this year. The number of universities which replied until now are a lot less than the similar time last year.

Hey Guys. I have had my first acceptance today from Rice University. However the offer is without funding due to "the state of national economy". So basically it means rejection!

Hey Guys. I have had my first acceptance today from Rice University. However the offer is without funding due to "the state of national economy". So basically it means rejection!

Congrats. By the way, are you applying from SUT?

Congrats. By the way, are you applying from SUT?

Thanks a lot. It doesn't mean anything though. And No. For Bachelor and my first master, I was in UT.

Thanks a lot. It doesn't mean anything though. And No. For Bachelor and my first master, I was in UT.

Nice nice. I did my Bachelors at University of Toronto. We got a lot of people from Iran. Mostly from SUT though. Most of my TA's were from SUT (surprisingly). I think after the Chinese, Iranian's have the largest presence in engineering graduate degrees. If you can take the cold, you should apply for UofT. They are pretty good in their acceptance of Iranians (we have good record here). 

Nice nice. I did my Bachelors at University of Toronto. We got a lot of people from Iran. Mostly from SUT though. Most of my TA's were from SUT (surprisingly). I think after the Chinese, Iranian's have the largest presence in engineering graduate degrees. If you can take the cold, you should apply for UofT. They are pretty good in their acceptance of Iranians (we have good record here). 

Actually I wanted to apply for UofT and Alberta in Canada. However after applying for 14 universities, I did not have enough energy to go for 3 more, needless to mention that getting recommendation from professors was a pain in the end!  :D . So, just out of curiosity, where are you from?

Actually I wanted to apply for UofT and Alberta in Canada. However after applying for 14 universities, I did not have enough energy to go for 3 more, needless to mention that getting recommendation from professors was a pain in the end!  :D . So, just out of curiosity, where are you from?

I was born in Iran but I have lived in Canada for most of my life. 14 universities? Wow that's expensive. I applied to 5.

Edited by amirali223

I was born in Iran but I have lived in Canada for most of my life. 14 universities? Wow that's expensive. I applied to 5.

Tell me about it! It really was expensive! However, when you are applying for phd from outside US, you need to take the risks into account!  -_-

Hi guys. I got admission letter from Georgia Tech for M.S.  

Still Wait for UIUC and Purdue.....

God bless us all....

Congrats Buddy. It is good news indeed! Is there any funding?

Hey Guys. I have been rejected from Vanderbilt University. There was no mail or website update. I just called the person in charge and asked. However, no hard feeling for this one. I just applied to take advantage of the "no admission fee" policy! it seems that the joke is on me!!  :D Also, I got a mail from Tufts University declaring that "Your official admission decision will be available online shortly." Don't know what exactly "shortly" means! Any ideas?

Congrats Buddy. It is good news indeed! Is there any funding?

No funding. M.S of Structural Engineering, I have friends in GT's structural engineering, He told me that even the student in the campus could not find professors with enough funding to support their continuing pursuit of Ph.D. Indeed many of them have to job hunting, not because of a lack of interest, but lack of funding indeed....

I am a little bit worried what would I face in the future because I want to get a Ph.D        >...<..