Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

Thanks everyone! I'm so happy to get some good news this late in the game. I'm still in a state of disbelief. :D

I hope everyone still waiting to hear gets some good news soon! I'm still going to have to wait to get official rejections from my waitlist schools before I go accepting anywhere else.

awesome! will you take it? I have  a friend going to CUNY this fall, it would be really cool to know another person  B)

On 4/7/2014 at 5:09 PM, screencheck said:

awesome! will you take it? I have  a friend going to CUNY this fall, it would be really cool to know another person  B)

I'm very tempted to take it! I want to wait just a little longer for UCLA and WashU... I also haven't ruled out UMass yet. I need to sleep on it! :blink:

On 4/7/2014 at 5:29 PM, xstopfloating said:

I'm very tempted to take it! I want to wait just a little longer for UCLA and WashU... I also haven't ruled out UMass yet. I need to sleep on it! :blink:

options options options, always good. I'm hanging around for UCLA as well, but Im not counting on it. I'm getting excited about New York. Let me know when you decide, maybe we'll be classmates.

so ive been listed with stanford since end Feb and i havent followed up. I thought I would wait till April 15th. However, I need to go forward with future plans - i dont have other acceptances - but good job offers that im missing opportunities for research work to increase my chances next year. Is emailing the admissions coordination or someone else worth it - POIs at stanford dont really responsd, so i dont know if their worth contacting?

Any thoughts?

so ive been listed with stanford since end Feb and i havent followed up. I thought I would wait till April 15th. However, I need to go forward with future plans - i dont have other acceptances - but good job offers that im missing opportunities for research work to increase my chances next year. Is emailing the admissions coordination or someone else worth it - POIs at stanford dont really responsd, so i dont know if their worth contacting?

Any thoughts?

Hi Fasboo! 

As I'm in a similar situation, I contacted the DGS for classical archaeology and he never answered. I also contacted the grad admissions secretary, who told me the the DGS was still reviewing the waitlist and respondants. I'm sorely tempted to contact my POI (whom I have on skype, as we talked a few times before I applied), but I lack the guts to do so! There's probably no harm in emailing the anthro DGS, but I have a feeling that they will let us know when they're ready...

I'm also debating whether or not to just contact the last school I'm waiting to hear from...and it's not because I'm wait-listed, it's simply because they have YET to make formal offers for admittance...last I spoke with them my application was under review -- this is the first round for them -- and it's this late in the game?

Should I just contact them via phone and ask for a status update?

Any thoughts?

Hi Fasboo! 

As I'm in a similar situation, I contacted the DGS for classical archaeology and he never answered. I also contacted the grad admissions secretary, who told me the the DGS was still reviewing the waitlist and respondants. I'm sorely tempted to contact my POI (whom I have on skype, as we talked a few times before I applied), but I lack the guts to do so! There's probably no harm in emailing the anthro DGS, but I have a feeling that they will let us know when they're ready...

Hey Melina- that's good to know. I think I will just wait till the 15th and then email them afterwards. I just hope it doesn't get too delayed after that. Do you have any idea how many are waitlisted generally - someone told me it's small - 3-5 max ? I've heard people have gotten off the wait list in previous years but not always - so I'm pretty anxious about it. Well, good luck- hope we both get in:)

Why not contact them. Worst case you were rejected, best case you were accepted, most likely they will say no decission have been made

I finally reached the graduate director who seems just as anxious as I did because he said he was still waiting on decisions from the committee and hopes to give everyone status updates as soon as he can because people seems to be calling him too to be able to make their deisions.

I finally reached the graduate director who seems just as anxious as I did because he said he was still waiting on decisions from the committee and hopes to give everyone status updates as soon as he can because people seems to be calling him too to be able to make their deisions.

Sorry for potentially holding you up, AKCarlton! You and I are doing the waitlist/acceptance tango. :wacko:

I sincerely need another day or so to reflect and need to talk to my advisor at CUNY about some things... but at this time, I am 90% sure I'll be turning down my UMass offer (not without some sadness, however! The UMass director has been super kind and informative during this process).

Hello again, everyone. Sorry I haven't been on in a while; things have been very busy. Today I received an update from two universities. Here are the final results for all the ones I applied to:

1. Purdue- Rejected.

2. SIUC- Accepted. Will be attending.

3. CWU- Accepted. Appears I got off the waitlist. 

4. California State University at Northridge- Accepted.

I'll be sending out emails to CWU and CSUN to let them know that I am declining their offers. Hope this helps someone! 

On 4/8/2014 at 9:51 PM, Great Ape said:

Hello again, everyone. Sorry I haven't been on in a while; things have been very busy. Today I received an update from two universities. Here are the final results for all the ones I applied to:

1. Purdue- Rejected.

2. SIUC- Accepted. Will be attending.

3. CWU- Accepted. Appears I got off the waitlist. 

4. California State University at Northridge- Accepted.

I'll be sending out emails to CWU and CSUN to let them know that I am declining their offers. Hope this helps someone! 

Congrats Great Ape!!!

Sorry for potentially holding you up, AKCarlton! You and I are doing the waitlist/acceptance tango. :wacko:

I sincerely need another day or so to reflect and need to talk to my advisor at CUNY about some things... but at this time, I am 90% sure I'll be turning down my UMass offer (not without some sadness, however! The UMass director has been super kind and informative during this process).

Oh please do not apologize...This is actually for the University of West Florida...just as you are waiting to hear from your final waitlist, I'm still waiting to hear about first-round decisions from them...although you know where my top choice is (UMass)...I still want to know from them too just to have some closure :) the GD at West Florida is getting frustrated because people keep calling and asking, and he knows it is probably because people are trying to make their final decisions

Hey all! I just got offered acceptance off the wait-list for my top-choice at University of Massachusetts Boston...however, no word on funding yet and they need my decision by April 15...eeeeek now I'm in a tough spot having to compare two programs, while still waiting to hear about first-round decisions from my last school.

Congrats, AKCarlton!! 

That is tough to decide without knowing funding... I would hope, if you tell them you have other funded offers, that they would make the offer clear to you so that you can make an informed decision. I am sure it will work out for you, and wish you luck!

How's everyone else doing? I'm making a point to keep checking in on y'all through the 15th. Hugs and solidarity to people still waiting on news!

DGS at Rutgers told me it's not gonna happen via wait list, so my season is officially over!  I am technically waiting on a decision from a 1-year accelerated MA in Bioethics, but that's a whole different ball game.

Thanks everyone for your support and hopefully next season will go better.  Congrats to all with such fabulous offers!

Congratulations AKCarlton!!! Boston is a great city, as I'm sure you know. I wish you the best!!

NOWAYNOHOW- An MA in Bioethics sounds really interesting! Are you focused on medical anthropology? Would you be able to do a research-based/ fieldwork-based Thesis on a topic related to your anthropological interests? If so it might help you out in getting into anthro PhD programs. There is no way I would have gotten into programs without having done this MA, and fieldwork, first. 

Congratulations AKCarlton!!! Boston is a great city, as I'm sure you know. I wish you the best!!

NOWAYNOHOW- An MA in Bioethics sounds really interesting! Are you focused on medical anthropology? Would you be able to do a research-based/ fieldwork-based Thesis on a topic related to your anthropological interests? If so it might help you out in getting into anthro PhD programs. There is no way I would have gotten into programs without having done this MA, and fieldwork, first. 

Yup -- medical anthro, but it'd be my 2nd MA, which I am a little weary about.  It has a practicum component, so I'd be able to do fieldwork in my AOI starting from my first term (it's one year) -- it's looking really good as an option, but I worry about having too many degrees!

Thank you! It shall be an interesting transition to say the least...I may have an apartment already too...found a great place and great people, crossing my fingers cause it would be an amazing weight off my shoulders to have something lined up already to move into on that side of the world (country) haha!!