Fellow Tulane applicants?

anthroflea

I obsessively followed this forum last year and know there was a thread of fellow Tulane anthropology PhD applicants. So I was wondering how many uf us there are for this year. It's my top choice school -- anybody else who wishes the results would come out before the application deadline is even over? 

:D

I obsessively followed this forum last year and know there was a thread of fellow Tulane anthropology PhD applicants. So I was wondering how many uf us there are for this year. It's my top choice school -- anybody else who wishes the results would come out before the application deadline is even over? 

:D

Tulane is my top choice, too!  I haven't even submitted the application yet because I've been agonizing over every line of my statement.  What's your subfield focus?  Maya archaeology here! 

Hey guys, 

I also wanted to join in to say I applied to Tulane! I am in the socio-cultural camp, interested in nationalism/media/capitalism studies. I already submitted the application, but I guess we won't be finding out anytime soon considering the due date is Feb. 1?

I can't wait for this application season to be over!

I started this past fall and love it here. I am socio-cultural. Last year the waiting was excruciating, but I was fortunate. I have had some great class and next semester should be more of the same. There are many smart and helpful advanced students that that have been generous with good advice too. Good luck to everyone applying.

How strictly did y'all stick to the 500 word limit for the statement of purpose?  I contacted the office to make sure it applies to anthropology, and was told a little longer would be alright, but I'm wondering how far I can push "a little longer" since I'm having the roughest time cutting my statement down to size.

Oh wow. I am glad I haven't submitted anything yet. (For the same reason as you mesoarch. Just not happy with the statement no matter how much I work on it lol.) Where did you see the 500 word limit? I totally missed that. I'm so glad you posted this. Mine is about twice as long at the moment lol. 

Oh wow. I am glad I haven't submitted anything yet. (For the same reason as you mesoarch. Just not happy with the statement no matter how much I work on it lol.) Where did you see the 500 word limit? I totally missed that. I'm so glad you posted this. Mine is about twice as long at the moment lol. 

It's on the general liberal arts guidelines - http://tulane.edu/liberal-arts/applying-to-graduate-program.cfm  Scroll down to the second question about the statement of purpose, it says it should be "no more than about 500 words".  I didn't see it until recently, so my statement is also twice as long!

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow applicant here! I'm a forensics gal though.

Yeah... I totally missed anything about a 500 word limit... my SOP was almost 1500 words... oops. They didn't have anything specifically on the anthro website about a word limit though so I'm going to take that as a good sign.

I also went over the word limit by a lot (mine was almost 1500 words as well). After I saw the posting here about the word limit, I emailed the department secretary with the new shortened version, and she very kindly swapped it out for me. Just FYI. 

Ah. See my problem is this- how in the world am I supposed to fit everything that should be on a CV (but can't be because they don't want it) plus my thesis research plus my dissertation plans plus my career goals plus why I chose Tulane in 500 words? Seems slightly impossible to me. Help?

Ah. See my problem is this- how in the world am I supposed to fit everything that should be on a CV (but can't be because they don't want it) plus my thesis research plus my dissertation plans plus my career goals plus why I chose Tulane in 500 words? Seems slightly impossible to me. Help?

It seemed like an impossible task, but I did manage to cut mine down from 1300 words.  I condensed the section on my MA thesis research to a summary sentence or two, which cut a good chunk out.  My advisors also pointed out that instead of a rapid-fire listing of everything on my CV, I should pick just a couple of particularly relevant experiences to briefly focus on in terms of preparation for dissertation goals.  If you have a strong application, they'll get in touch with you to find out more details.  Hope that helps!

It seemed like an impossible task, but I did manage to cut mine down from 1300 words.  I condensed the section on my MA thesis research to a summary sentence or two, which cut a good chunk out.  My advisors also pointed out that instead of a rapid-fire listing of everything on my CV, I should pick just a couple of particularly relevant experiences to briefly focus on in terms of preparation for dissertation goals.  If you have a strong application, they'll get in touch with you to find out more details.  Hope that helps!

Thanks!!! I'll try this tomorrow. Here's hoping it doesn't look too bad that I'm trying to switch things out after the deadline.

I tried to stick to the word limit since I found out early thanks to mesoarch. I don't think we should be too worried about this though. If the word limit would have been that important, it would have been mentioned on the anthropology website. Also, it seems like most people didn't stick to the limit;)

I tried to stick to the word limit since I found out early thanks to mesoarch. I don't think we should be too worried about this though. If the word limit would have been that important, it would have been mentioned on the anthropology website. Also, it seems like most people didn't stick to the limit;)

sounds good. I have been having a good correspondence with a faculty member, maybe they can vouch for me even though my statement is long.

The application was due only a few days ago and I'm already going completely crazy wanting news!  

I'm in the same boat. I think they are going to have a quick turn around, with such a late deadline I feel like they have to.

The turnaround may not be that quick - I applied to Tulane last year and got an interview request during the last week of February and the rejection didn't come until the last week of March.  If I recall correctly, the first round of admissions meetings wasn't until the very end of February.  But I'm certainly hoping things will move along faster this year! 

The application was due only a few days ago and I'm already going completely crazy wanting news!  

Yes, yes, yes! 

I'm just going to ignore all evidence to the contrary and believe that screencheck has to be right about the quick turnaround lol.