Fellow Tulane applicants?

anthroflea

I think there should be a rule that people who post early results on the result board need to add the subfield so everybody else don't lose their minds. 

We were actually having a discussion in "The Waiting Game" about how some professors and members of the Ad Comms may or may not be lurking on here, posting things like that for fun, just to watch everyone lose their minds! It would be a diabolically brilliant prank!

We were actually having a discussion in "The Waiting Game" about how some professors and members of the Ad Comms may or may not be lurking on here, posting things like that for fun, just to watch everyone lose their minds! It would be a diabolically brilliant prank!

so cruel, but I'm sure very entertaining. 

They've already considerably slimmed down the applicant pool, so it's possible that one of the professors absolutely knew they were getting a spot this year and sent their choice an unofficial announcement right away.  

Last year the process stretched out for quite a number of weeks - there was a month between my interview in February and a mass round of rejection letters in March, with acceptances slowly trickling out through the whole process.  I'd expect a similar pattern this year.

Hey guys, I heard back from Tulane last week, and was accepted as an Andean bioarch. I got a personal email with the information. They said they needed to hear my decision by April 1st. I was accepted into University of Pittsburgh as well. Rejected from ASU, but that isn't too surprising since the program I applied to hasn't graduated any PhDs in ages. 

Univ of Pitt (accepted)

Tulane (accepted)

ASU (rejected)

UIC 

LSU 

Hey guys, I heard back from Tulane last week, and was accepted as an Andean bioarch. I got a personal email with the information. They said they needed to hear my decision by April 1st. I was accepted into University of Pittsburgh as well. Rejected from ASU, but that isn't too surprising since the program I applied to hasn't graduated any PhDs in ages. 

Univ of Pitt (accepted)

Tulane (accepted)

ASU (rejected)

UIC 

LSU 

Congrats Displacedwitt, I applied to the MA in Latin American Studies at Tulane.

Univ of Pitt (accepted)

Tulane (accepted)

ASU (rejected)

UIC 

LSU 

Congratulations!  I really hope the rest of us hear something this week!

Univ of Pitt (accepted)

Tulane (accepted)

ASU (rejected)

UIC 

LSU 

Congratulations!! I sent you a PM.

Hey guys. So I just emailed the graduate coordinator and he told me that there were 110 applicants and this year was "not a good time to be an applicant". He indicated that decisions have already been made and unfortunately I was not admitted. So I guess I actually AM going to have to do this whole soul-destroying process again! Ugh...

Hey guys. So I just emailed the graduate coordinator and he told me that there were 110 applicants and this year was "not a good time to be an applicant". He indicated that decisions have already been made and unfortunately I was not admitted. So I guess I actually AM going to have to do this whole soul-destroying process again! Ugh...

Sorry Faulty, do you still have Vandy to hear from? 

I'm sorry to hear that Faulty

Yikes.  Sorry to everyone getting bad news.  I e-mailed my POI, waiting to hear back...

I'm considering doing the same, but I'm worried. I think I might just wait. If they have the decisions already, I suppose they should be letting us know this week. Or should I take the lack of an acceptance e-mail as a rejection?

I wouldn't worry about it yet. I don't think all decisions have been made yet. Instead, I think what happened is that the department decided on which subfield would get how many funded students. In some subfields it might have been immediatly clear which professors are getting students and which ones are not and there might be informal admissions decisions based on that. So the official decisions making process might be far from over. 

Also, and I am purely deducing it from different things I heard, I think there are more spots in archaeology then the other subfields. So please don't drive yourselfs crazy;) 

I won't lie, I am devastated about the rejection, but I am pulling for the rest of you;)

I wouldn't worry about it yet. I don't think all decisions have been made yet. Instead, I think what happened is that the department decided on which subfield would get how many funded students. In some subfields it might have been immediatly clear which professors are getting students and which ones are not and there might be informal admissions decisions based on that. So the official decisions making process might be far from over. 

Also, and I am purely deducing it from different things I heard, I think there are more spots in archaeology then the other subfields. So please don't drive yourselfs crazy;) 

I won't lie, I am devastated about the rejection, but I am pulling for the rest of you;)

Thank you for the info!

Sorry Faulty, do you still have Vandy to hear from? 

I do...but I'm really not holding my breath at this point. Sorry for all of us who got rejected. It's such a great school and I know it was the top choice for a lot of us, myself included. I guess this year was just particularly tough. I'm going to do my best to find out what wasn't working for my POI and what I can do to improve next year's application. 

I just got an (informal) acceptance from Tulane. So FYI, I think the department is not done notifying those who have been accepted. Hope this is helpful to some of you who have not heard anything yet. 

It ain't over 'til it's over! 

Please PM me if you want any more information!

I just got an (informal) acceptance from Tulane. So FYI, I think the department is not done notifying those who have been accepted. Hope this is helpful to some of you who have not heard anything yet. 

It ain't over 'til it's over! 

Please PM me if you want any more information!

thats awesome, congrats!

now I'm crazy nervous. 

Hi, I thought I'd pass on some information that I gathered up today. I spoke with someone in the office who had "the list". They accepted 8 people total for the entire department, each sub discipline got two people. Archaeology had the most applicants this year. They have not sent out official notices yet, the list is about to go to the graduate school to make decisions official, but rejections and formal acceptances are going out soon. The woman I spoke to was very kind, much kinder than some of the schools I've dealt with (including one school that told me 10+ years of CRM experience didn't count as real archaeology.)

Good luck to those who get in. 

Hi, I thought I'd pass on some information that I gathered up today. I spoke with someone in the office who had "the list". They accepted 8 people total for the entire department, each sub discipline got two people. Archaeology had the most applicants this year. They have not sent out official notices yet, the list is about to go to the graduate school to make decisions official, but rejections and formal acceptances are going out soon. The woman I spoke to was very kind, much kinder than some of the schools I've dealt with (including one school that told me 10+ years of CRM experience didn't count as real archaeology.)

Thanks for passing along the info!

thanks! and remind me not to apply to what ever school told you that.