Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I'm starting this, because I thought it would be a nice place to talk about our acceptances. This may strike you as early, but I just received an email from U Warwick regarding the MA in Continental Philosophy, offering me admission on the condition that I maintain a 3.3 GPA. Can we keep arguments out of this thread guys?

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Congrats! Going to England would be pretty exciting. Do they offer any funding? A 3.3 GPA strikes me as a really odd condition of acceptance, but I'm sure you can do that quite easily. 

Thank you! They don't offer funding, but I'm waiting on Fulbright funding. I should be hearing in the next few weeks if I make it to the second round of interviews. The 3.3 GPA is a weird condition of acceptance, given that my GPA right now is a 3.9, but I think it's just a formality. My hands are shaking pretty bad right now lol.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Congrats you lucky bastard, especially hearing back so early! And yeah - no arguments in this thread! -

It's just nice knowing I have somewhere to go, although even that is conditional upon getting Fulbright funding. It sucks that they don't fund MA students, but it'll give me somewhere to go for a year at the very least.

Congratulations! I hope you also get a Fulbright scholarship!

I spent the last academic year, doing an MA in England and it was a very worthwhile, though expensive, experience. Coventry is lovely and not so fat from Birmingham and London. I think you will enjoy it very much.

I'm starting this, because I thought it would be a nice place to talk about our acceptances. This may strike you as early, but I just received an email from U Warwick regarding the MA in Continental Philosophy, offering me admission on the condition that I maintain a 3.3 GPA. Can we keep arguments out of this thread guys?

Fantastic news!

I've never heard of a conditional acceptance.  How common is this?

Edited by Hopephily

I've never heard of a conditional acceptance.  How common is this?

It's pretty common for MA programs that aren't offering funding packages to their students. Last year, I got conditional acceptances from SFSU and CSULA. 

FYI

A nice conversation is taking place over at the Philosopher's Cocoon that is directly related to most of our situations... 

http://philosopherscocoon.typepad.com/blog/2014/01/reader-question-top-5-ways-to-narrow-down-grad-schools.html

It's official. I received the official offer of acceptance from the graduate school at Warwick this morning. Now I just have to wait on that damn Fulbright committee. Any idea how long I have to accept or deny? The convener couldn't tell me exactly how long I had.

Someone last year heard about funding in late March... It seems reasonable to guess they didn't have to accept or deny before then. 

The conditional acceptance thing is funny. If you have a 3.9, you could probably fail every class you're taking this term and still have a 3.3.

The deadline is usually April 15th to accept or decline funded offers, but if it is unfunded I imagine you could really accept it at any point before classes start? I don't see why not, at least. 

Congrats to the Ohio State poster!

Where are people posting admissions decisions? I thought it was supposed to be this thread? Or is there some official one that Grad Cafe itself provides? I second the congratulations to this poster.

Where are people posting admissions decisions? I thought it was supposed to be this thread? Or is there some official one that Grad Cafe itself provides? I second the congratulations to this poster.

If you look at the top of the page, next to the "Chat" tab it says "Results Search". Click on that and search "Philosophy", and you'll see the results.