Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Congrats to you! 1/1 I must say that's an impressive and interesting stat!

I knew a guy a few years back who only applied to NYU and was admitted. Talk about confidence.

Just accepted an offer to UT-Austin (from the wait-list) and promptly took myself off the UW-Madison wait-list. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

YES YES YES congratulations!

Just accepted an offer to UT-Austin (from the wait-list) and promptly took myself off the UW-Madison wait-list. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Congratulations! If I were you, I would definitely choose UT-Austin over UW-Madison too. I am a bit jealous.  :)

Congratulations! What are your areas of interest if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! And I'm sorry-- I'm only reading your post now. My writing sample was in Philosophy of Mind-- which is one of my key areas of interest besides Logic, Philosophy of Language and (contemporary) Metaphysics. I've also taken a keen interest in analytic philosophy but do not consider myself well-versed in that field of study (yet)-- though I think St. Andrews is an excellent place to explore it further.

Good luck in the future, everyone!

I know this thread is reserved for grad school acceptances, but I was recently accepted to the Rock Ethic Institute's PIKSI program. I am very excited to be spending a week at Penn State this summer doing philosophy with some amazing people! :D

Go for it! We are... B)

Where are they now? 

He's still at NYU, as far as I know. He was a senior undergrad when I was in my second year. I haven't kept in touch.

My area of interest is Ethics and Moral Theory (specifically Bioethics). I have 3 admission offers so far,

1. Bowling Green State University (unfunded/loan central)

2. San Francisco State University (loan central + vaguely mentioned pot teaching position mentioned with no details but impressive placement record though doesn't say what the speciality of each student was)

3. CSULA (unfunded/loan central but impressive placement record even mentioning some people in ethics)

Was thinking BGSU because wouldn't e such financial strain but they have no placement info listed so maybe not.

Still haven't heard from Brandeis (was on the waiting list) or Northern Illinois University

Not sure what to do so any advice is appreciated

Thanks & good luck 2 all 

-wishful

You must mean a MA at BGSU? They do have placement records for PhD http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/philosophy/graduate-program/phd-dissertations-and-placements.html

Although, I don't think that they have a terminal MA, but they have tried to keep track of those who leave after finishing their MA http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/philosophy/graduate-program/masters-program-graduates.html

Hope that helps!

• 9 months later...

A bunch of people reported rejections from Pittsburgh over the past week. I didn't hear anything. Should I take that as a good sign? I didn't apply to the history and philosophy of science program, but for another concentration in philosophy. I don't live far from pittsburgh so it's not like the mail has to travel across the country to reach me.

Can I ask a quick question?  I have received an email from a graduate chair asking to set up a skype time in the next few days.  Does anyone have any tips on how something like this usually goes?  Should I have anything prepared for the meeting?  Should I say anything in the email besides skype details?  Thanks!

Did they already admit you, or is this an interview type situation?

Can I ask a quick question?  I have received an email from a graduate chair asking to set up a skype time in the next few days.  Does anyone have any tips on how something like this usually goes?  Should I have anything prepared for the meeting?  Should I say anything in the email besides skype details?  Thanks!

My view (not necessarily the right view), operating under the assumption that this is an interview (interviews do happen in philosophy admissions, though they're rare):

1. Look professional, but don't feel like you have to put on a suit. Philosophers don't usually wear those.

2. Know your interests and the people with whom you would want to work. Know something very basic about each of these people, in case it comes up.

3. Know your writing sample.

4. Have a few interesting topics in mind from your statement of purpose. Be ready to speak intelligently about those. The easy way to do this is to draw from whatever work you have produced for classes.

5. Don't otherwise do any further philosophical research.

My view: Numbers 1 and 3 are most important here. Number 2 is maybe as important.

There's no need to say more in reply to the email. Just offer your Skype details and use professional courtesy in the email (e.g. "Dear Prof. so-and-so, I'm so pleased to meet you on Skype. My Skype details are such and such. Sincerely yours, Mindreading."). Keep it short.

Remember that the department isn't going to interview people in whom it doesn't already have interest. Just be sure to come off as serious and purposeful, not as someone with casual or fleeting interests. In my view, it's better to sound hyper-interested in an area than to sound open to many areas, despite the many people who would say otherwise (and despite what I've read on blogs, etc., about how departments like students who haven't settled yet).

Before the interview, ask yourself why this department is already interested in you. Last year, I immediately realized after being wait-listed at UW Madison that I was a really, really good fit there and for obvious reasons. I didn't quite appreciate it until I was wait-listed, but my writing sample lined up perfectly with the department's strengths. Maybe you can see that in your own situation, I hope.

Another thing: At this stage, it's about "fit" more than "competence." You probably don't need to prove competence at this point. Fit, fit fit. For this reason, you probably should emphasize how well you think you will fit in and how excited you are about it. I wouldn't emphasize that you have competing offers. Don't try to have a "poker face" about how badly you want to be admitted. In this context, people are quite responsive (in a good way) to eagerness. Don't be coy about what you want.

Edited by ianfaircloud

My view (not necessarily the right view), operating under the assumption that this is an interview (interviews do happen in philosophy admissions, though they're rare):

1. Look professional, but don't feel like you have to put on a suit. Philosophers don't usually wear those.

2. Know your interests and the people with whom you would want to work. Know something very basic about each of these people, in case it comes up.

3. Know your writing sample.

4. Have a few interesting topics in mind from your statement of purpose. Be ready to speak intelligently about those. The easy way to do this is to draw from whatever work you have produced for classes.

5. Don't otherwise do any further philosophical research.

My view: Numbers 1 and 3 are most important here. Number 2 is maybe as important.

There's no need to say more in reply to the email. Just offer your Skype details and use professional courtesy in the email (e.g. "Dear Prof. so-and-so, I'm so pleased to meet you on Skype. My Skype details are such and such. Sincerely yours, Mindreading."). Keep it short.

Remember that the department isn't going to interview people in whom it doesn't already have interest. Just be sure to come off as serious and purposeful, not as someone with casual or fleeting interests. In my view, it's better to sound hyper-interested in an area than to sound open to many areas, despite the many people who would say otherwise (and despite what I've read on blogs, etc., about how departments like students who haven't settled yet).

Before the interview, ask yourself why this department is already interested in you. Last year, I immediately realized after being wait-listed at UW Madison that I was a really, really good fit there and for obvious reasons. I didn't quite appreciate it until I was wait-listed, but my writing sample lined up perfectly with the department's strengths. Maybe you can see that in your own situation, I hope.

Another thing: At this stage, it's about "fit" more than "competence." You probably don't need to prove competence at this point. Fit, fit fit. For this reason, you probably should emphasize how well you think you will fit in and how excited you are about it. I wouldn't emphasize that you have competing offers. Don't try to have a "poker face" about how badly you want to be admitted. In this context, people are quite responsive (in a good way) to eagerness. Don't be coy about what you want.

Thank you SO much for putting all of this effort into helping me out.  I really appreciate it.  This is great advice!  Hope it will help other people in the same situation.

• 1 year later...