Admissions Results

I haven't yet heard from Upenn. It says that my application is being reviewed on the website. 

Upenn sent out some rejections on Jan 28, Feb 4, and Feb 12 (today), but my application decision has not been made. Does it mean that I am likely to be accepted or I will be on the waiting list?

given their deadline was dec15th, i think they sent out their acceptances already they probably maintain an informal waitlist if a large number of people decline their offers

statisticsfall2014,

No word from UCLA yet for me. I don't think they have sent out anything.

It seems like Columbia, UCSB, and UCLA do not notify until late Feb. and early Mar. Judging from past results, NC State will do another round of acceptances and rejections in late Feb./early Mar., so you're likely still being considered. (I didn't apply to any of these besides UCLA, just what I infer)

Edited by Stat Applicant

Anyone have updates on the following:

Columbia, NC State, UC Santa Barbara, and UCLA. Those are the remaining mysteries for me. 

UCSB interviewed me more than half a month ago, was told that I am "shortlisted" but final result depends on funding which is not determined until March.

Thanks aridneptune. Just to clarify, this is for pure Statistics, not Biostatistics, correct?

Either way, the e-mail I received from UF today made my day, so if I'm in at UF or Rice, then I won't be too upset about being snubbed by UNC or Minnesota.

Stat Applicant, you got an offer from Rice? Congrats! Do you know whether or not Rice has sent out all the acceptances?

muzili,

I have not received a formal acceptance offer yet, but my correspondences with the dept have been very positive. My interview was last Thursday -- they said I should know within a week or two (so I anticipate I will know for sure between tomorrow and next Friday).

UCSB interviewed me more than half a month ago, was told that I am "shortlisted" but final result depends on funding which is not determined until March.

Ditto, or something very much like this, anyway. It was mentioned that funding is determined by a central university committee.

Do you know if they have sent out any PhD acceptances for applicants outside of UMich?

I've gotten an acceptance from them! I think I got a phone call from one of the professors a week and a half ago more or less. He did say that the official acceptances hadn't been going out as quickly as they should have been, so that could be a reason for not hearing from them yet.

I've gotten an acceptance from them! I think I got a phone call from one of the professors a week and a half ago more or less. He did say that the official acceptances hadn't been going out as quickly as they should have been, so that could be a reason for not hearing from them yet.

Congrats! Did the professor tell you via phone that you got admitted?

I also got a phone from one of the professors last Monday, but in the end he didn't say anything about acceptance.

He just told me that they will provide every admitted phd student full funding during their phd study. Sounds like a lot of money.

I also got a phone from one of the professors last Monday, but in the end he didn't say anything about acceptance.

He just told me that they will provide every admitted phd student full funding during their phd study. Sounds like a lot of money.

Wait why did the professor call you if he didnt offer you admission?

I am still waiting on Michigan..

Wait why did the professor call you if he didnt offer you admission?

I am still waiting on Michigan..

I consider that as an phone interview. However, the questions were pretty generic. Everything he asked was either in my CV or my SoP. 

I don't know if he called because I am an international student and they want to know my communication ability.

I still remember the last question was "do you think you could be a TA."

But he really didn't say anything about accepting me.

I am also waiting on Michigan. This is so far the only school that contacted me...

FYI: the professor told me the application is extremely competitive this year. They got 300+ applicants...

Thanks! Yes, he did tell me via phone that I'd been admitted. I think we pretty much just talked about how I'd been accepted, that I should be receiving my official acceptance from the grad school soon, that there's a visit coming up (I can't remember when..March 17th maybe?), that I'd receive funding, and then he asked if I had any questions for him. We didn't talk about my application at all I'm pretty sure. That's crazy that it's so competitive this year - I think I heard something similar from Washington about having more than 300 strong applications.

Thanks! Yes, he did tell me via phone that I'd been admitted. I think we pretty much just talked about how I'd been accepted, that I should be receiving my official acceptance from the grad school soon, that there's a visit coming up (I can't remember when..March 17th maybe?), that I'd receive funding, and then he asked if I had any questions for him. We didn't talk about my application at all I'm pretty sure. That's crazy that it's so competitive this year - I think I heard something similar from Washington about having more than 300 strong applications.

You are right about Washington. My rejection letter did mention they have 300+ applications this year.

It is crazy this year. Michigan had "only" 150+ applicants last year and on average 130+ in the past several years. But this year, 300+!!!

You are right about Washington. My rejection letter did mention they have 300+ applications this year.

It is crazy this year. Michigan had "only" 150+ applicants last year and on average 130+ in the past several years. But this year, 300+!!!

Ha ha what?? Where did all these people come from? That's quite an increase in applicants.

I suspect the 150 number from last year may have been PhD only, and the 300+ they're quoting for 2014 includes MS applicants as well. But there's no question that applications are way, way up across the board, maybe as much as 20-30% over last year alone.

I suspect the 150 number from last year may have been PhD only, and the 300+ they're quoting for 2014 includes MS applicants as well. But there's no question that applications are way, way up across the board, maybe as much as 20-30% over last year alone.

is this true for stats as well or for only biostats

Maybe you are right. The 150 from last year was for PHD ONLY. But the professor didn't mention if the 300+ was phd only as well.