Anyone apply for Fall 2014 Aerospace?

clandry

Anyone here apply for Fall 2014 Aerospace Engineering? If so, has anyone heard of acceptance/rejections yet? If so, at which school?

It seems, at least from the gradcafe results, that the decisions are made a bit later for us aero majors. 

Edited by Blue4123

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got acceptance from Stanford(MS) on Jan 20 and Univ of Mich(PhD) on Jan 28.

Did you go to UMich for undergrad or something? My friend applied to UMich's aero program. His uncle's a prof there and told him that admission decisions will not be sent out for a couple more weeks (early-mid feb).

I'm applying for Fall 2014 Aero/Astro at a number of schools. The only word from any school has been GWU with a phone call this morning asking if I had any 'application' questions.

I asked the caller about when the decisions will be released and she mentioned that GW will be sending out decisions today and next week as well.

Applied to UMich for PhD and heard back last week that they lost my transcripts. At least they're reviewing my app.

I heard my friend complaining about UMich's app because you had to submit 2 official transcripts $$$$$

Sounds stupid

Edited by clandry

Did you go to UMich for undergrad or something? My friend applied to UMich's aero program. His uncle's a prof there and told him that admission decisions will not be sent out for a couple more weeks (early-mid feb).

Hi clandry: I am an international applicant. I received a skype call froma  prof there on Jan 20 and he said he ll forward my name to the graduate committee and I will hear back from them in a week. I received the official offer letter on 28 Jan

Gonna have to call you out on this. I know aero hasn't sent out any decisions. 

Hello pyroknife. I hope you understand that I really have no reason to bluff on this thread, which is so dormant in any case about a U Mich admit. I think I will leave it to you better judgement to decide on the veracity of my statement. 

But, FYI, I had a skype interview with my POI on 20 Jan who said that the Profs can individually forward their recommendations to the admissions committee which will then process it further. 

And I am sure you are entitled to your views on calling it a bluff. I respect that.

I applied to MIT, Michigan, Penn State and UT Austin (and also MAE departments at Princeton, UCSD and GWU) for PhD. I only did an interview with UT Austin. No news from anywhere else.

On A&M admission website they're saying the final admission decision will be out by Feb 28th. E-mailed POI asking about news but he haven't heard anything yet from admissions office.

No news on UIUC.

Heard from Penn State this week. Was accepted and POI is nominating me for a new "graduate fellowship of excellence" offered by the university. POI appears to be more excited than I am.

I got rejections from UIUC and Purdue, got UIUC rejection almost 10 days ago.

I have appllied to Georgia tech,austin,texas A &m,maryland and minnesota.

i Have gre314 and cgpa:8/10 from Manipal university India.(B.E.-Instrumentation and Control)

i have worked under a professor in aerospace dept in Indian institute of science(iisc) the one of best institutes in india and he has given me his recommendation,I am presently working on my UG thesis in IISc on Hardaware implementation of a complex neuro adaptive algorithm quadrotor.And i was part of colleges nano satellite team for one and half year but did not work on controls.

I have applied for controls in all the schools, do  you think i stand a chance in any of the universities.

Edited by risheek

Stanford Visit Day was pretty awesome. Professors all have a sense of humor and they have well-established labs for pretty much everything. Campus is probably one of the most beautiful in the world, and the grad students say they are super happy there. Many of the grad students said they chose Stanford over some of the other top schools in Aero because the other schools have a more "strict" and "competitive" environment. I got the sense that Stanford was pretty chill and collaborative which was nice.

Only problem with Stanford is the funding issue for the 1st year. 

Thanks astrosnail!

I'm most likely taking MIT's offer, and this (along with other great feedback I've received in the previous days) makes me doubt.

Did you happen to talk to Prof. Farhat, Prof. Alonso or Prof. Lele? If so, what impression did they (or their students) give to you?

Stanford Visit Day was pretty awesome. Professors all have a sense of humor and they have well-established labs for pretty much everything. Campus is probably one of the most beautiful in the world, and the grad students say they are super happy there. Many of the grad students said they chose Stanford over some of the other top schools in Aero because the other schools have a more "strict" and "competitive" environment. I got the sense that Stanford was pretty chill and collaborative which was nice.

Only problem with Stanford is the funding issue for the 1st year. 

I talked to Prof. Farhat and his grad students but none of the other CFD guys. Farhat as a person is very friendly and enjoys conversation. His lab is considered the "most professional" out of the Aero labs when compared to the experimental labs since they're all CFD and they just work on computers. Everyone seemed quite happy in Farhat's lab though; they have 7 grad students and 8 post-docs (i think) who all seemed willing to help each other out

Thanks astrosnail!

I'm most likely taking MIT's offer, and this (along with other great feedback I've received in the previous days) makes me doubt.

Did you happen to talk to Prof. Farhat, Prof. Alonso or Prof. Lele? If so, what impression did they (or their students) give to you?

Edited by astrosnail

Interesting. Didn't know there were that many profs in the aero-dpt at Stanford doing computations. Most of the ones at the turbulence center are associated with the MECH-dpt. 

Prof. Farhat's group looks like a pretty awesome place to do a PhD on Computational Engineering and CFD: Over 20 publications/year, h-index=42, and Prof. Farhat's record of accomplishments is really impressive. If I went to Stanford, he would be the professor in the AeroAstro Department I would like to work with the most.

Prof. Farhat's group looks like a pretty awesome place to do a PhD on Computational Engineering and CFD: Over 20 publications/year, h-index=42, and Prof. Farhat's record of accomplishments is really impressive. If I went to Stanford, he would be the professor in the AeroAstro Department I would like to work with the most.

Out of curiosity, which webpage did you find those statistics? I typically use google scholar and the results are a bit different. http://scholar.google.com/citations?sortby=pubdate&hl=en&user=FVtXBlwAAAAJ&view_op=list_works