Anyone apply for Fall 2014 Aerospace?

clandry

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah I see. Google scholar isn't the best either. Do you know who makes the profiles for profs? Ice noticed that quite a bit of profs aren't on there.

I think they make their own profiles.

BTW, I realized today that Google's citations system is not quite reliable: Some papers are missing, others are doubled, some references are wrong... Maybe Scopus (even though it lacks some papers) is closer to reality when predicting the h-index.

Same here! No big deal for me though.

What other programs did you apply for?

wait-listed by Princeton.. this is my dream school, hope I can get in..

BTW. Has anyone heard from MIT Aero&Asto? March 1st is deadline, right?

Same here! No big deal for me though.

What other programs did you apply for?

Accepted to Stanford M.S. and UCLA PhD. No word on funding.

Rejected from Princeton PhD.

No word from Michigan Applied Physics, and Aero/Astro @ Caltech, MIT, GeorgiaTech.

So stressful waiting for the remaining schools haha.

wait-listed by Princeton.. this is my dream school, hope I can get in..

BTW. Has anyone heard from MIT Aero&Asto? March 1st is deadline, right?

Yes, we'll hear back from MIT AeroAstro by March 1st. Acceptances will most likely be sent late this week or early next week; and decisions right before the deadline. Beth Marois' rules.

I think they make their own profiles.

BTW, I realized today that Google's citations system is not quite reliable: Some papers are missing, others are doubled, some references are wrong... Maybe Scopus (even though it lacks some papers) is closer to reality when predicting the h-index.

Yeah I had a feeling they made their own profiles. Wouldn't surprise me there's stuff missing on those profiles.

Good luck. 

Have applied to MIT, Stanford, Gatech, Purdue, Michigan.

Acceptance : @Purdue

Rejection : @Stanford

Waiting for the rest. Since my bachelor's is in automobile engineering, chances are slightly slim in the top ones. Although I do have a large scale project with Lockheed Martin.

Did anyone of you had previously interacted with any of the profs at MIT or Stanford? 

Stanford Visit Day was pretty awesome. Professors all have a sense of humor and they have well-established labs for pretty much everything. Campus is probably one of the most beautiful in the world, and the grad students say they are super happy there. Many of the grad students said they chose Stanford over some of the other top schools in Aero because the other schools have a more "strict" and "competitive" environment. I got the sense that Stanford was pretty chill and collaborative which was nice.

Only problem with Stanford is the funding issue for the 1st year

Hi, could you please elaborate on the funding issue? Is it likely that all MS students who want to shift to PhD will be funded from the second year on wards?

Edited by grad_aero

Hi, could you please elaborate on the funding issue? Is it likely that all MS students who want to shift to PhD will be funded from the second year on wards?

Only a select few are selected for departmental fellowships; some people at Visit Day had their fellowship interviews there.

Otherwise, most people have trouble finding funding for the first year regardless of whether you take the Masters or continue to PhD. After the first year, funding becomes easier as many of the labs can offer RA or you can get a TA position somewhere. 

Has anyone heard back from Aerospace Department from UT-Austin, Stanford and U Maryland College Park for PhD admission?

I received my official offer from UT Austin Aerospace a week ago. Did not apply to Stanford and Maryland so I do not know about them..

Yes, we'll hear back from MIT AeroAstro by March 1st. Acceptances will most likely be sent late this week or early next week; and decisions right before the deadline. Beth Marois' rules.

Does MIT do interviews for PhD? I heard nothing, and the department set a deadline for this Friday. Has anyone heard a word from them? 

Does MIT do interviews for PhD? I heard nothing, and the department set a deadline for this Friday. Has anyone heard a word from them? 

I just received the acceptance notification from Beth (S.M.). I'm pretty sure they don't interview PhD applicants though. Just out of curiosity, do you hold a master's degree from another institution?

I just received the acceptance notification from Beth (S.M.). I'm pretty sure they don't interview PhD applicants though. Just out of curiosity, do you hold a master's degree from another institution?

Congratulations! Yes I do. Well I have received nothing, which probably means rejection or waitlist...

Edited by tuschu

Congratulations! Yes I do. Well I have received nothing, which probably means rejection or waitlist...

Thanks! Good luck for you too, especially with the Princeton waitlisting! :)

For the benefit of future applicants, I think a key fact to gain admission to MIT AeroAstro is to visit the campus and interview with POIs. Decisions are made by individual faculty members, and a direct contact with them may make all the difference.

• 2 weeks later...