NSERC CGS-M Results

galaxstar

Hello (mostly for Canadian students)

Does anyone know when we'll hear back from specific schools about NSERC CGS-M results? I've heard back from Waterloo about admissions, but they did not mention whether or not they would offer me the CGS-M. It's critical that I find out so that I can let a potential supervisor there know, since he can only take me on if I'm able to secure that funding. (The system is new this year, so NSERC won't be the one notifying students from what I understand).

Ideas, anyone?

My PGS-D application was forwarded and I was informed that the results would be released sometime in April (probably mid to late).  I am not sure how much this relates to the CGS-M program if there have been significant changes.  That said, I still wouldn't expect anything before April.

Good luck.

Now that it is up to each school to determine their CGS-M awadees, it will really depend on the schedule of each school!

For Waterloo, the timeline is listed here: https://uwaterloo.ca/graduate-studies/waterloos-harmonized-tri-council-cgs-m-timeline-2013

It sounds like the first notification will occur on April 1, 2014, which is the same timeline as it was with NSERC. However, based on the decisions of the first wave, they may award additional CGS-M's after April 23.

Now that it is up to each school to determine their CGS-M awadees, it will really depend on the schedule of each school!

Interesting, I wondered why the CGS-M due date was so different this year.  I don't like the idea of the NSERC awards being institutionalized like this; I hope the PGS doesn't go this way (although I'm sure it will).

Me neither - it has been incredibly frustrating. This is not good news that the results won't be out until April. Oh well, nothing to do but wait I suppose.

I'm not sure what will happen with the PGS. Since you can take the PGS to universities outside of Canada, it doesn't seem like it would be fair to allocate a certain number of awards in the way the CGS-Ms are allocated, so we might not see the same transition. 

TakeruK, thank you so much for linking that site! It's perfect!

The PGS-M did go away. Since the difference between the PGS-M and CGS-M award levels was like $200 and if you look at the stats from past years, the majority (over 90%) of -M awards were CGS-M. Very few PGS-M were awarded. Maybe these awards were all taken out of Canada?

I think I am okay with the PGS-M going away. A Masters degree in Canada is a lot different than one in the US, for example, and it's probably better to prioritize funding for Canadian students to do Canadian masters (which are generally funded, while US masters are not). NSERC kind of expects that their award will just provide part of the funding and that the school will do the rest, but this isn't the case with the US schools.

But I agree that having institutionalized CGS-Ms mean less freedom and choices for us. And also more work (apply for CGS-M at every school). And they might potentially reduce our funding--many schools in my application year have $3000-$5000 top ups for bringing in the award, but if each school knows exactly how many awards they will get each year, they have no incentive to entice award holders to pick their school anymore. On the other hand, I can see why the schools would want this. In the past, the CGS-M quota was set for each student's undergrad school, but the majority of students go elsewhere for their Masters. So, a big school like UBC or Toronto may have a ton of its undergrads receiving CGS-Ms but that is no guarantee of how many incoming CGS-Ms they will get. So, the system can be really unbalanced with some schools receiving a disproportionate number of CGS-Ms.

And, it could still be a good thing. In the old system, you compete with your undergrad class for CGS-Ms. So, if you go to a big/top school in Canada, it's harder to get a CGS-M than if you had gone to a smaller school where the pool of competitors is smaller. In the new system, the top applicants to a particular graduate program will receive the CGS-M, instead of the top applicants from a particular undergrad program. I think this does make more sense.

However, I think the -D level awards should remain institutionalized, similar to the way the US NSF funds their graduate students. 

• 2 months later...

Depending on the year, the letters might actually go out not exactly on April 1. You may or may not get an email either. This is based on comparing my experience with others in the past years. I'm just saying this so that if you don't hear anything tomorrow, don't panic :)

Depending on the year, the letters might actually go out not exactly on April 1. You may or may not get an email either. This is based on comparing my experience with others in the past years. I'm just saying this so that if you don't hear anything tomorrow, don't panic :)

Thanks for the heads up!

TakeruK, you are going to be my go-to guy for anything related to academic information!

Just got my offer for my SSHRC CGS-M at UWO! It came through as an email from the Tri-Council Agency (at 4:30 in the morning, of all times), simply saying to check the research portal for a change in my status. I'm ecstatic, because I honestly thought I had no chance at a CGS-M this year because of my... "less than stellar" research proposal. Good luck to all the other applicants!

Edited by Djentbot

Just got my offer for my SSHRC CGS-M at UWO! It came through as an email from the Tri-Council Agency (at 4:30 in the morning, of all times), simply saying to check the research portal for a change in my status. I'm ecstatic, because I honestly thought I had no chance at a CGS-M this year because of my... "less than stellar" research proposal. Good luck to all the other applicants!

Just a question, I went to the site as it stated too but there has been no change.  Did it say beside the school that there was an option?  I was sure I wasn't going to get one, so I'm not bummed, I was just curious what it looked like for you.  Thanks.

Just a question, I went to the site as it stated too but there has been no change.  Did it say beside the school that there was an option?  I was sure I wasn't going to get one, so I'm not bummed, I was just curious what it looked like for you.  Thanks.

I got an email telling me to check the portal. Then beside the name of the school it said 'not offered'. I'm still waiting on the school that actually matters, so fingers crossed!

I got an email telling me to check the portal. Then beside the name of the school it said 'not offered'. I'm still waiting on the school that actually matters, so fingers crossed!

That's so weird.   All I get is this:

Organization Status Field of Research Date of Offer Offer Expiry Date Updated Action Memorial University of Newfoundland Alternate social sciences and/or humanities     2014-04-01

06:32:35

University of Calgary Received by administrator social sciences and/or humanities     2013-11-28

22:24:13

University of Toronto Received by administrator social sciences and/or humanities     2013-11-28

McMaster University Received by administrator social sciences and/or humanities     2013-11-28

Sorry that came in so odd looking, I couldn't find a way to link a picture.

Edited by Ancient_DNA

I am waiting for an MA SSHRC as well... It seems its dependent on the school to manually send in their results... Looks like you are an alternate for the University of Newfoundland and the others havent been updated yet...

***I was just put on alternate as well.... anyone know what this means exactly??

Edited by scholarlypartier

I was told that the results could be delayed because of time zones (so, west coast could possibly post decisions closer to end of day or even tomorrow). That being said, one of the first notifications I received today was from out west, so I guess it just depends when they get around to it!

Good luck, all!

I just was listed as an alternate for McGill. I have no idea what that means?

I think that means you are on the wait list for the first round. If people decline, it may be offered to you (depending on your position on the wait list). Hope that helps!

I think that means you are on the wait list for the first round. If people decline, it may be offered to you (depending on your position on the wait list). Hope that helps!

Good to know! I had actually turned down McGill (they offered no funding), so I am hoping that this is no reflection on my applications through other schools. This process has been rather confusing to be honest.

I was offered a SSHRC CGS-M for both Memorial and Queens that I will be declining shortly. I'm not 100% sure how the process works, but I take that to mean that alternates for those schools may hear something new soon!