NSERC CGS-M Results

galaxstar

For me, I got an email saying the status had changed and then when I logged it to the research portal, it said "Offered" beside UWO.

OGS awards are administered by the individual schools now, so I think you'll be contacted by the schools themselves and notification times vary. A friend who applied for OGS last year wasn't notified until mid-June.

I was put in as an Alternate for one school, however, I already received a rejection letter from the school that has listed me as an alternate. I'm not sure how to assess the situation. I'm going with it as a compliment that I was strong enough applicant for the fellowship, but what happens if somehow I get accepted for the CGS-M, but I'm rejected from the program at the university...? Does anyone know of this happening? I know it's only a very very minor chance, but what happens?

Thanks for the help!

I was put in as an Alternate for one school, however, I already received a rejection letter from the school that has listed me as an alternate. I'm not sure how to assess the situation. I'm going with it as a compliment that I was strong enough applicant for the fellowship, but what happens if somehow I get accepted for the CGS-M, but I'm rejected from the program at the university...? Does anyone know of this happening? I know it's only a very very minor chance, but what happens?

Thanks for the help!

LOl that's rare. If that happens you have to decline. I am pretty sure you can only hold the award at the designated you applied for.

I got an email saying my status changed but the research portal just says "recieved by administrator". T__T

Did you open your file? 

Also, for OGS it depends on the university. I received it at 2 that I won't be going to. My SO's university's deadline isn't even passed yet! So it really varies a lot. 

Thanks for the help!

It definitely does happen. Just saw that I'm offered a SSHRC at a school I was rejected from weeks ago. In this case, you'd have to decline the award since it would be contingent on you attending that university.

If you haven't received a formal rejection yet, you may be able to contact the program/person  you interviewed with and notify them that you have funding. In some instances, they may re-consider your application. I know of people doing this in the past, but don't know if it would still work now that universities are doing their own ranking. 

So I was offered a CGS-M for the school I'm not planning on attending, and have not even made the waitlist for the school I AM planning to attend.  (The latter was my first choice of program, and also offered more funding in the way of entrance scholarships...)

What do people do in this case?  Can you try to negotiate for more funding at the school that didn't offer you SSHRC if your application was good enough to receive it somewhere else?  

Ugh.  I feel like a true April fool.   :(

Alternate from a school that I've already had that awkward "hey man, you gonna apply? you told us to consider you for nserc, you should get that application in" convo with. 

I told them I wouldn't be applying but I guess they left me in the mix for whatever reason. If you are an alternate at Guelph, you have one less competitor I guess.

So I was offered a CGS-M for the school I'm not planning on attending, and have not even made the waitlist for the school I AM planning to attend.  (The latter was my first choice of program, and also offered more funding in the way of entrance scholarships...)

What do people do in this case?  Can you try to negotiate for more funding at the school that didn't offer you SSHRC if your application was good enough to receive it somewhere else?  

Ugh.  I feel like a true April fool.   :(

I think you can. Worst case scenario they say "no we won't match it/increase our offer"

It definitely does happen. Just saw that I'm offered a SSHRC at a school I was rejected from weeks ago. In this case, you'd have to decline the award since it would be contingent on you attending that university.

If you haven't received a formal rejection yet, you may be able to contact the program/person you interviewed with and notify them that you have funding. In some instances, they may re-consider your application. I know of people doing this in the past, but don't know if it would still work now that universities are doing their own ranking.

At least it could go on our CV showing that it was awarded... even though it had the be declined. :)

Did you open your file?

Also, for OGS it depends on the university. I received it at 2 that I won't be going to. My SO's university's deadline isn't even passed yet! So it really varies a lot.

Haha whoops, yah I had to open the file. Im an alternate for the school I want to go to, so still a chance! Maybe..

Does anyone know the chances or likelyhood for alternates? It seems like there were quite a lot of us this year in the thread... Congrats to everyone who received an award AND who managed to get on the alternate list... There is still hope!

Edited by scholarlypartier

Mine changed to not offered this morning to the two schools I had been rejected from.  So I'm still waiting on the alternate, which is awkward because I already sent my acceptance to Toronto.  So here's hoping I get one for U of T!  It still says received by administrator so, I'm happy.

Does anyone know the chances or likelyhood for alternates? It seems like there were quite a lot of us this year in the thread... Congrats to everyone who received an award AND who managed to get on the alternate list... There is still hope!

speculation but i'm inclined to guess the chances for alternates is pretty okay (at least for those close to the top of the list). unless there's a misunderstanding on my part, the new system allows for very strong applicants to be allocated multiple awards, of which they can only accept one, so when they decide where they're going, an alternate gets bumped up at every other school. sounds like decent odds to me.

edit: out of curiosity has anyone seen any movement on the alternate front, one way or the other? not sure if reallocation after rejection would be immediate or if there are gonna be waves of offers.

Edited by lhommependu

speculation but i'm inclined to guess the chances for alternates is pretty okay (at least for those close to the top of the list). unless there's a misunderstanding on my part, the new system allows for very strong applicants to be allocated multiple awards, of which they can only accept one, so when they decide where they're going, an alternate gets bumped up at every other school. sounds like decent odds to me.

edit: out of curiosity has anyone seen any movement on the alternate front, one way or the other? not sure if reallocation after rejection would be immediate or if there are gonna be waves of offers.

I'm wondering the same thing... It would make sense for alternates to get offers as people turn theirs down. I assume that we are ranked. 

I agree with your assessment of our odds, too. Not amazing but there is a chance!