NSERC CGS-M Results

galaxstar

I'm wondering the same thing... It would make sense for alternates to get offers as people turn theirs down. I assume that we are ranked. 

I agree with your assessment of our odds, too. Not amazing but there is a chance!

LOl I pray that your sources are good.

How often do people decline anyways?

For the CGS-M specifically, I would say it might be much higher than the "background rate" (i.e. number of people who decline admission offers in general). This is because if you are good enough to get the CGS-M at one place, it's likely you also applied to other schools and also applied to the CGS-M, and each good person can only accept one offer! That is, it is probably true the top 5% in each field will be accepted pretty much everywhere and get CGS-Ms everywhere, and since they can only take one offer, there should be some that are released to alternates. I would probably also say that lower-ranked schools will probably go deeper into their alternate list, since the top students might apply to them as a "safety" and if they end up going to a top program, they will free up a CGS-M spot!

Ha looks like the website is experiencing technical difficulties! Anybody waiting on a CIHR by any chance?

I am! I was looking up CGS results and I applied for only one (at U of T) and was placed under Alternate =( Fingers crossed that people select other universities and give me a shot at CGS ^_^

For the CGS-M specifically, I would say it might be much higher than the "background rate" (i.e. number of people who decline admission offers in general). This is because if you are good enough to get the CGS-M at one place, it's likely you also applied to other schools and also applied to the CGS-M, and each good person can only accept one offer! That is, it is probably true the top 5% in each field will be accepted pretty much everywhere and get CGS-Ms everywhere, and since they can only take one offer, there should be some that are released to alternates. I would probably also say that lower-ranked schools will probably go deeper into their alternate list, since the top students might apply to them as a "safety" and if they end up going to a top program, they will free up a CGS-M spot!

Now another question, how many alternates typically are there...? I could probably be at the very bottom of alternates.

I am an alternate at one school, and then got rejected everywhere else.  I will not be getting a CGS-M this year then for sure, since I will be declining the offer as I have already accepted U of T.  I talked to my supervisors at Toronto, and they are actually kind of happy I didn't get it this year, since I'm fully funded.  They are hoping I get it for next year when I need to find the majority of my funding from outside sources. 

Now another question, how many alternates typically are there...? I could probably be at the very bottom of alternates.

I think they are supposed to name one alternate for every three offers (approx.). I might very well be completely wrong though. 

Hi everyone, regarding the alternates list, i was offered CGS-M at U of T and also at York. I accepted at York and have declined U of T, so I'm imagining that this will free up a spot for an alternate at U of T? I'm not really sure how the process works but that would be my assumption. As someone has mentioned, if you are an alternate, I think you have a reasonably good chance, as winners probably would have been awarded multiple awards, but they can only pick one, freeing up spaces for alternates.

If you were offered at at least one university for the award, you are on top of the alternate, if on the other hand you've got only "no offers" and "alternate", it's not looking good...

I am an alternate at one school, and then got rejected everywhere else.  I will not be getting a CGS-M this year then for sure, since I will be declining the offer as I have already accepted U of T.  I talked to my supervisors at Toronto, and they are actually kind of happy I didn't get it this year, since I'm fully funded.  They are hoping I get it for next year when I need to find the majority of my funding from outside sources. 

Maybe things have changed a lot with all the other CGS-M changes, but I think it's more common for current MSc students to get a CGS-M for their second year of their MSc than it is for a finishing undergrad to get a CGS-M to start grad school. Or, maybe "more common" is not the right word, but I would say your chances actually go up, not down, since you will have much more research experience and other qualifications applying the second time around :)

Has anyone had their status changed for the NSERC CGS-M at University of Toronto? My status still says "Received by administrator" and it's the only university that hasn't changed their status on my application yet.

I see that some people have posted that they were offered CGS-M at Toronto, but I'm guessing that they might have been the SSHRC or CIHR version.

I think they are supposed to name one alternate for every three offers (approx.). I might very well be completely wrong though. 

That's what I heard, but I've never seen a confirmation.

Anyone get off alternate? do you get a second email?

Has anyone had their status changed for the NSERC CGS-M at University of Toronto? My status still says "Received by administrator" and it's the only university that hasn't changed their status on my application yet.

I see that some people have posted that they were offered CGS-M at Toronto, but I'm guessing that they might have been the SSHRC or CIHR version.

Got mine two days ago, but it might be department-dependent too. Anyway I'm turning it down, so hopefully that's good news to someone else!

Maybe things have changed a lot with all the other CGS-M changes, but I think it's more common for current MSc students to get a CGS-M for their second year of their MSc than it is for a finishing undergrad to get a CGS-M to start grad school. Or, maybe "more common" is not the right word, but I would say your chances actually go up, not down, since you will have much more research experience and other qualifications applying the second time around :)

Yeah, that is what I was thinking.  I'm not too worried about it.

Please help

My award change to NOT OFFERED for UBC  and Alternate for McMaster University. I received admission offer for both university. I am very much interested in going to UBC. Do anyone know if "not offered" status ever change to "offered".

What is the meaning of not offered. Is this mean I am not even on the waitlist ???

Please help I have applied for CGS-M for the first time.

Thanks

Yes, "Not Offered" means that you are not on the wait list and will not be offered an award. Congratulations on the alternate list for the other school though!

Edited by Djentbot

By the way, I just found this online (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/CommunityEngagementUpdate-Jn2013_eng.pdf), for those that want to read up regarding alternates of the CGS award. May 16th is supposed to the date that alternates are sent the confirmation about receiving or not receiving the award. This is the final deadline for the first round awards to be accepted or declined. It may be that alternates might hear sooner, however, this gives us at least a date in the mean time.

I have not been able to find anything about the number of alternates in a ratio to those given first priority. The closest I have found is from UBC pdf that gives an example of 10 applicants and three alternates.

If anyone can get more info, for us poor limbo applicants, it will be greatly appreciated. Crossing my fingers for those, like myself, that are waiting to hear back...

By the way, I just found this online (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/CommunityEngagementUpdate-Jn2013_eng.pdf), for those that want to read up regarding alternates of the CGS award. May 16th is supposed to the date that alternates are sent the confirmation about receiving or not receiving the award. This is the final deadline for the first round awards to be accepted or declined. It may be that alternates might hear sooner, however, this gives us at least a date in the mean time.

I have not been able to find anything about the number of alternates in a ratio to those given first priority. The closest I have found is from UBC pdf that gives an example of 10 applicants and three alternates.

If anyone can get more info, for us poor limbo applicants, it will be greatly appreciated. Crossing my fingers for those, like myself, that are waiting to hear back...

Interesting... On the portal it says that those who got offers have 21 days from the date they received the offer to accept it. Wouldn't that mean that us alternates should be hearing around the end of April? I was really hoping that they would notify alternates as offers were turned down, but that document seems to say that they will release a second round of offers all at the same time. 

Linbo is frustrating... I thought I was done with waiting when I got my acceptance from my top choice.

Interesting... On the portal it says that those who got offers have 21 days from the date they received the offer to accept it. Wouldn't that mean that us alternates should be hearing around the end of April? I was really hoping that they would notify alternates as offers were turned down, but that document seems to say that they will release a second round of offers all at the same time. 

Linbo is frustrating... I thought I was done with waiting when I got my acceptance from my top choice.

I know what you mean, April 21st should be the date that the second round offers would be made. The document may be an old enough one that they made a revision for the deadline date. I would prefer the 21st or even in the week following over May 16th. At least any information is better than no information. I'm hoping someone on hear will let us know if they get the award as an alternate.

And congrats on the acceptance!

I know what you mean, April 21st should be the date that the second round offers would be made. The document may be an old enough one that they made a revision for the deadline date. I would prefer the 21st or even in the week following over May 16th. At least any information is better than no information. I'm hoping someone on hear will let us know if they get the award as an alternate.

And congrats on the acceptance!

Thanks!! 

I hope we all hear sooner than later.

FYI for those on alternate lists:
I just rejected NSERC offers at UVic, UBC, and McGill
I was an alternate for UofT, but that is the school I am going to.  Hopefully I will receive an offer soon!