UChicago 2014

hiclub2

They have a scholarship reconsideration request? I sent them an email telling them I would really like to attend and would be very grateful for a bigger scholarship. Probably won't work but who knows. It's way too expensive otherwise. I'm just not sure how to justify taking it$60,000+ in loans with a degree in social work. Seems like I'll be stuck working nonstop for 15 years that way.

Yeah that's true. It is way too expensive. They said would review my request and respond to me no later than March 7th. I think they would respond to you soon as well. Did you apply for any other program?

I sent her a two-page letter about my past experience. It could be a bit too long. Michigan's program is also great. I'm also choosing between Penn and Chicago but I'm leaning toward Chicago. Hope to see you in fall!

Edited by velvetstella

Ya she said if I submit by Friday she will respond within a week. Did you just write out something formal? I'm choosing between Michigan and Chicago but I think I might be leaning towards Michigan.

I, too, am choosing between UMich and UChicago but leaning towards Michigan.

Which concentration have you applied to?

I am interested in community organization and international social work at both schools, looks like you are too. I guess it might come down to financial aid for me. After doing more research and looking through the programs more I would kind of prefer Chicago now but it may be more expensive. I kind of go back and forth but I would like to decide this coming week and commit to one. Either way I think they are both probably good options. What makes you lean towards Michigan?

I am interested in community organization and international social work at both schools, looks like you are too. I guess it might come down to financial aid for me. After doing more research and looking through the programs more I would kind of prefer Chicago now but it may be more expensive. I kind of go back and forth but I would like to decide this coming week and commit to one. Either way I think they are both probably good options. What makes you lean towards Michigan?

Well, both are great programs (as you've obviously noticed), but while UMich has given enough aid to make my out-of-pocket expenses for the entire program only $16k, UChicago is ending up being $27k.  Plus, I was accepted into the CBI Program at UMich which is really focused on community organizing, so that makes it really appealing.

Honestly, it has mostly come down to money for me.  Spending an extra 11k to go to a school that has a comparable program just isn't making sense at this point. It is difficult, though, because I know it's a great program and I eventually want to settle in the Chicagoland area.

What did you like about UChicago's program over UMich?

For a $22,000 difference over two years I would go to Michigan. I think they will both offer similar opportunities in the end and that is a pretty good amount of money to be saving. 

The have a lot of similarities but I like the curriculum at Chicago for the maco focus areas. I read through some of the class descriptions, who knows if that's what they are really like in reality though. I also like the global health certificate at Chicago, although you can't apply to it until September so I'm unsure if I would be accepted in the end. I think I might prefer living in Chicago for 2 years. I applied to one of the scholarship programs at Michigan and had an interview but haven't heard back yet. I got similar aid as you for Chicago so if I am accepted into the scholarship program at Michigan I think I will go there. 

I really don't want to take out more than $30-35,000 in loans. If it's more than that I may put off school for another year or so and find a cheaper state school to go to. I'm not really sure if going for cheaper than that is realistic though.

I got in! They also offered me some money, so it becomes quite enticing compared to Columbia. But I don't know, still wavering between U of Chicago and Columbia. Which school has a better social work prospect and also more opportunities? Columbia seems to advertise its connections and opportunities quite well, but I also heard from others that it is not as good as it promotes itself. Who knows more about U of Chicago?? Also, how is Chicago as a city, compared to NYC? 

Thanks!!! 

I got in! They also offered me some money, so it becomes quite enticing compared to Columbia. But I don't know, still wavering between U of Chicago and Columbia. Which school has a better social work prospect and also more opportunities? Columbia seems to advertise its connections and opportunities quite well, but I also heard from others that it is not as good as it promotes itself. Who knows more about U of Chicago?? Also, how is Chicago as a city, compared to NYC? 

Thanks!!! 

Wow, congrats!  I am still waiting to hear back, and I can't take it anymore! can you tell me when you applied and if they informed you via email?  Chicago is awesome (born and raised), tons to do, and WAY cheaper than NYC. Easy to get around on public trans, vibrant arts scene, tons of summer festivals, beautiful architecture, food is marvelous and many restaurants are world-class, people are great! I don't know anybody who doesn't love living here!

UofC is a great school, many of my colleagues went there including my supervisor. It's "ranked" (take that with a grain of salt) #2 MSW program in the country after UMich. 

Wow, congrats!  I am still waiting to hear back, and I can't take it anymore! can you tell me when you applied and if they informed you via email?  Chicago is awesome (born and raised), tons to do, and WAY cheaper than NYC. Easy to get around on public trans, vibrant arts scene, tons of summer festivals, beautiful architecture, food is marvelous and many restaurants are world-class, people are great! I don't know anybody who doesn't love living here!

UofC is a great school, many of my colleagues went there including my supervisor. It's "ranked" (take that with a grain of salt) #2 MSW program in the country after UMich. 

I submitted my application like one day before the due date and then got my admission info on Feb 28. They informed me via email. I'm sure that they do this in waves so late news doesn't equal to bad news! Hope you get in too! 

I know UofC is a great school but I am just afraid that Chicago can't provide as much job and contact opportunities as Columbia does... but then again I know Uof C's MSW program is so much more prestigious than Columbia's... It's quite a struggle! But thanks! It is great to hear from a local Chicagoan about Chicago :) 

Again, wait for the good news! 

Ooops, having issues on the mobile. So the admissions director emailed me and said the admissions timeline is dragging due to receiving more applications than anticipated. She said I should receive a decision by next Friday. So of course I'm reading into it. I just couldn't imagine them rejecting someone two weeks after the posted deadline (or that's what I'm telling myself). I need a confidence booster! Words of inspiration, wisdom, poop joke?

Awesome! That's amazing - what an insane scholarship! Curiously, when did you apply? And did your online application change from "submitted" to "accepted"? sorry that I'm asking so many questions! It's my dream school, and I check my email and the online app like 5x a day, haha!

Just got accepted with 12k scholarship. So excited! I didn't get any email tho. Just checked my application again. I applied by the Jan.15th deadline and I called the admission office yesterday to check whether the result's out. I think the email is supposed to come out in the nxt couple days.