UChicago 2014

hiclub2

If I don't hear back tomorrow, I will probably cry and eat copious amounts of chocolate.  I have been so on edge for the last two weeks.  Even if I get rejected, at least then I will know...

I received the email late- at 7pm. It basically said nothing other than my application status had changed. When I logged in there was a new section with an admissions decision. I was checking my email like crazy! But it's coming!

I don't know if they work through the weekend or what (maybe because it's their busy season), but I asked the head of admissions if it's possible that I could hear over the weekend, and she said yes.  I've seen people that have received replies at 3 AM!  The admissions people are very nice; however, they are giving me misleading information as well, so take it all with a grain of salt! ;)

It seems like a lot of people were accepted with $12,000 scholarships as I was. I accepted the offer and paid the deposit but I'm pretty nervous about the amount of debt I could accumulate. $24,000 is a lot of money to be awarded but it still leaves a lot of debt to pay off afterwards. Anyone have thoughts on this?

It seems like a lot of people were accepted with $12,000 scholarships as I was. I accepted the offer and paid the deposit but I'm pretty nervous about the amount of debt I could accumulate. $24,000 is a lot of money to be awarded but it still leaves a lot of debt to pay off afterwards. Anyone have thoughts on this?

That's exactly the reason I will likely turn Chicago down. I was offered a similar amount and couldn't justify it in the end. If they had been my highest offer, I likely would have taken it. I really love Chicago's program. However, a couple of other schools offered significantly more, so I felt I would rather follow the merit scholarships... However, I will be re-applying to Chicago in the future for the PhD program so that makes my decision to turn them down now a little bit easier. :)

I understand your apprehension; however, I am located and work in Chicago and am unable to relocate (and don't want to ;)).  U of C is my dream school of many, many years and I follishlydon't care how much debt I accrue.  I also have faith in the IBLR and loan forgiveness.  My agency also qualifies for the National Health Service Corps so I plan to follow up on that.  I think more people should look into the NHSC.

I completely agree that there's nothing wrong with taking out loans going to your dream school! I know it's a personal decision for each applicant. These message boards in particular are so pro "state schools, less debt, as long as the school is accredited" and anti "ivy, private, big loan" but there are a lot of other factors to consider when deciding where to attend. For instance, I did consider the (national) reputation of my prospective schools since I plan to pursue a doctorate. I also applied to schools that fit my particular research interest only. From there, it now is an issue of who offers the most funding, but it wasn't my bottom line. Title IV-e, NHSC, PSLF are all opportunities I think msw students should at least look into. Ive spoken with a lot of students, doctoral and masters, as well as faculty from UChicago and they all really sold me on the program. Congrats on making your decision! I still have technically given up my spot... I would change my mind in a minute if they were able to match other offers!

Hey everyone, 
I was accepted to the University of Chicago with a $28,000 scholarship. I am really considering going there. The only thing I am worried about is AH versus MSW. I want to do medical social work and I am worried that not having an actual MSW by my name will be a detriment to me finding jobs right after I graduate in a hospital. 

I also got accepted to NYU with 10,500 aid and USC. 

What do you all think? 

Edited by mgirl68

Hey everyone, 

I was accepted to the University of Chicago with a $28,000 scholarship. I am really considering going there. The only thing I am worried about is AH versus MSW. I want to do medical social work and I am worried that not having an actual MSW by my name will be a detriment to me finding jobs right after I graduate in a hospital. 

I also got accepted to NYU with 10,500 aid and USC. 

What do you all think? 

It's actually an "AM" degree.  In the state of Illinois, it is absolutely recognized as an "MSW."  My supervisor has her AM from UChicago and is an LCSW currently.  I have other friends who have done the same, and they are recognized as "MSWs."  On top of that, UChicago is the best program in Chicago, so worry not.....

Many states have a non-clinical licensure like LMSW (Licensed Master Social Worker) that you qualify for by virtue of having an MSW and can put after your name. Incidentally, UChicago's AM is Latin (Artium Magister) for Master of Arts. Columbia grants an MS.