SOP question

gelologist

Finishing up a grad school app for Geology MS, and I'm wondering: is it a bad idea to mention researchers in your SOP who are not affiliated with the school you're applying to?  I'm trying to explain what current research in the field I'd like to build off of, but I'm struggling to do so unless I name drop people at other institutions.

NB: I'm only applying to one program, so if there's any way someone could suggest exploring current research in the field while also conveying that the school is the only one I'm applying to (i.e. reassure them that name dropping doesn't mean I'm looking to run off with the other people I mentioned), that'd be cool as beans.

Thanks!

I don't think that I am.  (I mean, I could be - I've never really been sure how to construct a great SOP.)  All I'm really trying to say is: "My current research interests are X. Specifically, I one day hope to build off of the work of others such as A, B, and C, who have recently done M, N, and P.  Ultimately, this would allow me to pursue my future goals of synthesizing such work into a comprehensive system that allows for the development of improved hazard awareness and response initiatives by better understanding the triggers and timescales of whatever geologic processes."

^Too specific?  If so, any SOP advice would be great!

Hmm, yeah, that's what I was worried about.  No worries, though, as I think I found a way around it!  Guess the saying should really go: "If at first you don't succeed, edit your SOP again." ;)  Many thanks for the input!

I don't think that I am.  (I mean, I could be - I've never really been sure how to construct a great SOP.)  All I'm really trying to say is: "My current research interests are X. Specifically, I one day hope to build off of the work of others such as A, B, and C, who have recently done M, N, and P.  Ultimately, this would allow me to pursue my future goals of synthesizing such work into a comprehensive system that allows for the development of improved hazard awareness and response initiatives by better understanding the triggers and timescales of whatever geologic processes."

^Too specific?  If so, any SOP advice would be great!

Yes, that is too specific in my opinion. Interest in general kinds of problems are great (mass transport, glaciers, volcanism), but specific goals that are very focused in a subfield (volcanism at slow-spreading hydrothermal ridges, turbidity currents, subglacial channels) may pidgeon-hole you to the point where if there isn't a PI doing exactly that (or that PI doesn't have money for a student, or the PI doesn't know you're applying and skips reviewing applications this year), the adcomm may view you as a poorer fit than someone who is more flexible in their research interests. Also, unless you are the best applicant in the pool, stating whether you are or aren't applying elsewhere won't necessarily help you. And who knows what "best" is for any given program or year--a PI with grant in hand that really wants a student can swing things so that admits favor an applicant that fits her criteria, which through no fault of your own might not be you.

Edited by Usmivka

Yes, that is too specific in my opinion. Interest in general kinds of problems are great (mass transport, glaciers, volcanism), but specific goals that are very focused in a subfield (volcanism at slow-spreading hydrothermal ridges, turbidity currents, subglacial channels) may pidgeon-hole you to the point where if there isn't a PI doing exactly that (or that PI doesn't have money for a student, or the PI doesn't know you're applying and skips reviewing applications this year), the adcomm may view you as a poorer fit than someone who is more flexible in their research interests. Also, unless you are the best applicant in the pool, stating whether you are or aren't applying elsewhere won't necessarily help you. And who knows what "best" is for any given program or year--a PI with grant in hand that really wants a student can swing things so that admits favor an applicant that fits her criteria, which through no fault of your own might not be you.

that was exactly what I was hinting at, there is a fine line between sounding knowledgable and being too narrow.