Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

I feel like people might be less likely to step out from behind the anonymity of the results search if they get rejections but there could certainly be a thread for that or that can be posted here if people feel like it. And while rejections will inevitably happen, I'm not a fan of dwelling on it :P

So far we have:

• No Rejections  :D  
  • Interviews at University of Virginia, Rice University and Notre Dame (all claimed)
  • Acceptances at University of California Davis (4, some claimed) and University of California Los Angeles (1, early, not yet claimed)

Just to keep this thread updated.

I got a lovely e-mail yesterday accepting me into the University of Virginia! So I can claim the most recent one

I honestly didn't think I would hear back so soon, and was expecting more of the February 1 notification. Hoping for some more good news!

Edited by rync

Anyone claiming the Rutgers Interview? Seems pretty early, or? Ahh, guess we will know soon  :wacko:

It wasn't me but I applied to Rutgers and now I am hyperventilating.

I wonder if they conduct interviews for ALL candidates. ugh. 

Lol I'll take that to mean game over for me and Rutgers. Now I shall pretend I never applied there and move on to the next one. Le sigh.

Congrats to everyone who got an interview! New Brunswick is nice! :D

Edited by SocGirl2013

Programs with pre-acceptance interviews usually notify all their invitees at the same time. If you didn't receive an invite, you're most likely not on their immediate shortlist of applicants.

However, there is a small possibility that you have been waitlisted, and will be notified if one of the invitees declines his/her interview spot.

It is best to wait for further notice. You're not rejected until you get that official rejection e-mail.

Edited by cultsoc

i will claim the interview at rutgers. it was from a poi and it seemed rather unofficial.... he said that they had narrowed down the applicants to a short list and were in the process of deciding admissions and funding. no where in the email did he explain why he wanted to interview me other than to make sure i was still interested in the program. MEANING-- don't be worried if you haven't received anything. I think this email was his independent move. ALSO i should say, from looking at previous years on this site, rutgers seems to have accepted students they didn't interview. or at least, the number of students reporting interviews does not match the number of students accepted. so don't lose hope! i'm sure trying not to. my interveiw with him is scheduled for this sunday so presumably rutgers will be sending out their decisions as early as next week.

.....i also got an interview from nd so see some of you cyber-things there.

Programs with pre-acceptance interviews usually notify all their invitees at the same time. If you didn't receive an invite, you're most likely not on their immediate shortlist of applicants.

However, there is a small possibility that you have been waitlisted, and will be notified if one of the invitees declines his/her interview spot.

It is best to wait for further notice. You're not rejected until you get that official rejection e-mail.

I am certain that that's not always the case. Even if there is a short-list of applicants selected for the interview, some departments distribute the interviewees to adcomm members and adcomm members do not always e-mail you or call you on the same day, it depends on their schedule. 

also... i'm sorry (if) i made anyone worry. i surely didn't mean to... especially since i think worrying for rutgers is premature

Hey, first of all CONGRATS! And Thanks so much for clarifying your process! :) You didn't make us worried at all, we were always anxious, this gave me something particular (aka Rutgers) to direct my anxiety towards lol.

May I ask about your stats/background? :)

Please read my post carefully before you go on misleading the other members on here.

I said, "programs with pre-acceptance interviews usually notify all their invitees at the same time."

This is for programs that throw all-expenses-paid interview weekends, where they fly their invitees in, wine and dine them, and get a feel for who they are and what they are like. I didn't mention anything about random professors making phone calls or doing skype "interviews" on their own.

I take it you are a current graduate student at such a program with experience organizing these events?

Edited by cultsoc

Please read my post carefully before you go on misleading the other members on here.

I said, "programs with pre-acceptance interviews usually notify all their invitees at the same time."

This is for programs that throw all-expenses-paid interview weekends, where they fly their invitees in, wine and dine them, and get a feel for who they are and what they are like. I didn't mention anything about random professors making phone calls or doing skype "interviews" on their own.

I take it you are a current graduate student at such a program with experience organizing these events?

ok now I get it. I am sorry I didn't get what you meant. I didn't know that there were 'all-expenses-paid interview weekends' anyway, I just assumed you were talking about phone-interviews. I am not a graduate student, nor an authority on the admission procedures. I just wanted to share what I know, as all the forum followers, no need to fuss about that.