Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Ic...I hope you can get in! What do you mean by some of the non-math staff are so rude? What happen? May I ask your background since you have had an offer from Waterloo if you don't mind it is too private. 

The administrative clerks that work at McMaster never responds to emails and phoning them isn't any better since the clerk is always on "vacation" on weekdays. When I did reach them, they made it as if I was taking their time and wants to hang up as soon as possible. Send me a pm to let me know what you would like to know.

Edited by reinhard

As an international student, I have no sense of the Canadian schools in terms of perceived prestige. Obviously this is to some degree discipline specific. But I would love to hear everyone's ranking of Canadian universities by your own, personally subjective sense of which are the 'best.'

I wish it was late March so I can hear back from NSERC! 

Been holding off more applications until I have their decision... Anyone think it's a bad idea? Should I just make the applications now? Deadlines for the programs that I want to apply to are in May or June, although they encourage you to apply early for a higher chance to find potential supervisors. I've made applications for places where the deadline is prior to NSERC decision date, but I'm unsure when it comes to schools with later deadlines. In the end, really because applications are expensive and I'd rather make as little as possible. 

I'm looking to go into molecular biology and etc, finding a supervisor is the most important step and having NSERC would definitely help. If I don't have it, well then I'll be making traditional applications. 

Any thoughts? starting to freak out a little. 

Just got word that McMaster makes their first round during late feburary. Another month to go...

EDIT: this is for math/stats

Good luck to us! God bless us!

Did you provide the general GRE or subject GRE score? I didn't tho.

I'm curious as an American student applying to a Canadian school about what Canis asked above. I applied to Queens for a masters in the humanities and I'm wondering how the school and its humanities department is perceived among other Candian universities. I certainly am not solely concerned with prestige but I have no idea about the "rankings" of schools in Canada. I applied because the program and my POI are a perfect fit for my research interests but I would like to hear some other peoples opinions. Thanks!

I'm curious as an American student applying to a Canadian school about what Canis asked above. I applied to Queens for a masters in the humanities and I'm wondering how the school and its humanities department is perceived among other Candian universities. I certainly am not solely concerned with prestige but I have no idea about the "rankings" of schools in Canada. I applied because the program and my POI are a perfect fit for my research interests but I would like to hear some other peoples opinions. Thanks!

Yce3f7c, this largely depends on the program you're applying. Queen's, in general, is known to be a good, mid-size research university. I'm not really sure how Queen's is viewed as far as humanities is concerned, but in my field, that is, politics, it is very well regarded and would certainly count as one of the top universities in Canada.

Hi all, 

I applied at McGill, Electrical Engineering, Masters. Still waiting too. I've been corresponding with a potential supervisor and he said that they are reviewing applications on the "later part of January" which means it should already be going on. 

Hi all, 

I applied at McGill, Electrical Engineering, Masters. Still waiting too. I've been corresponding with a potential supervisor and he said that they are reviewing applications on the "later part of January" which means it should already be going on. 

Do you know if this is for all grad departments at the school or just engineering? I hope all! 

Do you know if this is for all grad departments at the school or just engineering? I hope all! 

I'm not sure if it applies to all department. But just an update, I got an email from my potential supervisor today inviting me for an interview over Skype so I guess they really are already going through the applications. 

By the way, I notice that you listed NC State in your signature. A friend of mine toured me around the campus a while back. It was great and the everyone was very friendly. The people I know who graduated from NC State are very witty. 

I'm not sure if it applies to all department. But just an update, I got an email from my potential supervisor today inviting me for an interview over Skype so I guess they really are already going through the applications. 

By the way, I notice that you listed NC State in your signature. A friend of mine toured me around the campus a while back. It was great and the everyone was very friendly. The people I know who graduated from NC State are very witty. 

EEP. I haven't heard anything yet, I hope that's not a bad sign. And I'm so glad to hear that about NC State!! One of their poetry professors is Dorianne Laux, and I LOVE HER!! 

EEP. I haven't heard anything yet, I hope that's not a bad sign. And I'm so glad to hear that about NC State!! One of their poetry professors is Dorianne Laux, and I LOVE HER!! 

I think it's too early to hear any definitive decisions from any university at this point. I wouldn't worry about it. 

I wasn't aware of her work before you brought it up but wow. Her poems are so raw they make you feel alive. I particularly like the melancholic feel of Who Needs Us?: "Who needs the footprints of us,/ the glimpse of us in a corridor of stars". I'll forward her work to some friends. Haha. Thanks! 

As an international student, I have no sense of the Canadian schools in terms of perceived prestige. Obviously this is to some degree discipline specific. But I would love to hear everyone's ranking of Canadian universities by your own, personally subjective sense of which are the 'best.'

As a Canadian, I find only U of T, McGill, UBC and Université de Montréal are worth considering. Attending the other unis makes it seem like you didn't get accepted into the top 4.