help regarding computer sci phd

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello dear friends,

Like all others I am right now a bit confused. here is the story:

applied for Phd in computer science:

Admissions:

1) University of Houston==> fellowship + health insurance + RA with monthly stipend of 1815$ net

2) Worcester Polytechnic Institute ==> fellowship only

3) University of Tennessee-Knoxville==> fellowship + health insurance + RA with monthly stipend of 1500$ net

4) University of Sout Carolina ==> fellowship only.

Personally I am more looking forward in working in the University of Houston simple because the group there (computatioanl physiology) is much better and the professor there is really good (he comes from industry).

What do you think???? What is your opinion??

thank you

Guest Debating

Financially speaking, keep in mind that living in Knoxville would be significantly cheaper than Houston. If UH has the best program in what you're going for though, you should probably pursue that option. I know one of the faculty members at UTK, and he's a legend in computational science, but deals more with the numerical analysis side of things, which doesn't sound like something you would be pursuing...

Did you visit any of these schools?

Guest Guest

Knoxville may be cheaper than Houston, but Houston is also a very cheap city. You'd have no problem living here comfortably for $1800 per month (according to one of those cost of living calculators, $1815 per month in Houston would give you the same lifestyle as $1681 per month in Knoxville).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use