SSRC 2014

Nrrrdgrrrl

Hey all; since results of the first round should be arriving in the next month or so, I figured we should have a place to comisserate, whine, and share successes!  I'm also interested to hear all your projects!

I hope so, Cicero!  What is your project about, specifically?  I'm coming from Religious Studies, and I proposed an examination of the discourse in which someone claims to be "spiritual, but not religious".  I'm hoping to go to Glastonbury, England (where I've done some preliminary work), to help flesh out my comparative project...I also do work in Sedona, AZ. 

Here's hoping we get good news...or at least, helpful feedback!

I'm a little confused about the timeline since I go to an American university and applied directly to SSHRC back in November. What are the results that arrive in the next month? I assumed I wouldn't hear anything until the final results sometime in April or May.

I'm a little confused about the timeline since I go to an American university and applied directly to SSHRC back in November. What are the results that arrive in the next month? I assumed I wouldn't hear anything until the final results sometime in April or May.

The final results come in late Spring, but we should hear about initial cuts sometime in February.  Also, what is SSHRC?  That "H" is throwing me off...

The final results come in late Spring, but we should hear about initial cuts sometime in February.  Also, what is SSHRC?  That "H" is throwing me off...

Ahhhh, I wasn't paying attention and read this as SSHRC -- the Canadian one, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (of Canada), not the Social Science Research Council. Disregard...

*slinks out of thread*

Ahhhh, I wasn't paying attention and read this as SSHRC -- the Canadian one, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (of Canada), not the Social Science Research Council. Disregard...

*slinks out of thread*

HA!  No need to slink.  There aren't many of us!

I have.  And I just found out that NSF is a no-go; not surprising, seeing as the funding rate for first-time applicants is about 7%, and overall about 15%!

I have proposed (and have already began local work) to research the relationship between secularism and the phrase "spiritual, but not religious".  I'm specifically wanting to track  how this discourse is employed in specific contexts, and for specific social purposes.  I do work in Sedona, AZ and Glastonbury, England (which is why I need funding...Britain is expensive!), as the two major centers of alternative religion in the Western world.

What about you all?

I hope so, Cicero!  What is your project about, specifically?  I'm coming from Religious Studies, and I proposed an examination of the discourse in which someone claims to be "spiritual, but not religious".  I'm hoping to go to Glastonbury, England (where I've done some preliminary work), to help flesh out my comparative project...I also do work in Sedona, AZ. 

Here's hoping we get good news...or at least, helpful feedback!

That sounds interesting!

I'm hoping to go to several countries in Western Europe. I focus on political economic and policy reform in the European Union. I hope we both get good news. First round notification should be coming soon, right?

That sounds interesting!

I'm hoping to go to several countries in Western Europe. I focus on political economic and policy reform in the European Union. I hope we both get good news. First round notification should be coming soon, right?

I think so, but no idea on firm timelines. Did you apply for other grants as well?

I applied for a ton of grants. Currently most anxious about Fulbright, but it sounds like we'll be updated about that early next week.

Where did you apply for fulbright? Of the grants you applied for, which do you want most? And which do you think is most likely?

From what I've seen from other sites, they tend to come out around now...end of Jan/beginning of February.  Based on what I've read about past years, requests for additional materials come out over a several day span and rejection letters come via snail mail.

Re Nrrrdgrrrl's questions, I don't have any guesses as to which grant is most likely. All the competitions are tough, so I think my odds are pretty much the same for all of them.

Edited by Cicero

From what I've seen from other sites, they tend to come out around now...end of Jan/beginning of February.  Based on what I've read about past years, requests for additional materials come out over a several day span and rejection letters come via snail mail.

Re Nrrrdgrrrl's questions, I don't have any guesses as to which grant is most likely. All the competitions are tough, so I think my odds are pretty much the same for all of them.

Last year, when I was rejected, I got the letter in late January, I believe.

I think the website says sometime in February is when we should find out this time around.

Hopefully something comes through!

according to the thread on last year's competition, requests for transcripts started going out the first week of February...so we should know if we've made it past the first round within a few weeks!

Hi! Can I talk about my application for the SSRC-JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science) fellowship for ABDs here? If so, I received an e-mail today stating that I have been selected as an alternate and that "should it become possible to nominate your project for consideration by JSPS, you will be notified as soon as possible."

I can't imagine anyone turning this one down  given that it's super competitive and awards substantial funds for research in Japan, but maybe, if I'm lucky, some of those who were recommended for this one will also be offered a Fulbright (for which I was rejected) or something and take that instead.

Either way, I'm kind of giddy about receiving something other than an outright rejection!

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to grad café, a colleague recommended it as I'm waiting on several grant responses. What an amazing source of information and support! I am waiting to hear back from the SSRC IDRF and will post if I get a transcript request or any further information. Fingers crossed and good luck to you all.