SSRC 2014

Nrrrdgrrrl

In years past, the transcript requests came out over the course of several days. Rejections are sent through snail mail, but those requests through email. So, I imagine all emails should be going out this week. Keep updating!

Are any of you waiting on other grants as well?

I am waiting for an internal grant at my university, and some field specific external grants. I will also be applying to Fulbright-Hays as soon as the application deadline for my campus is announced. However, the fellowship I really want is SSRC-IRDF. Hopefully, there will be good news! 

Edited by ketabehayat

I am with you. I cannot apply for Fulbright-Hays because my research is in Britain, though. I am also waiting on Wenner Gren, which should be very soon as well! So much of the rest of my PhD program depends on what news I get back this week...waiting is painful!

I looked back at some old threads and in one year, the requests came out over the course of 5-6 days. So, I guess if we hear nothing by the end of the week, we should be expecting the thin envelope. Hopefully that's not the case for any of us!

By the way, here is another source: academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2014-2015

ditto. I may eat this whole pint of cookie dough ice cream.

I totally picked the wrong time to be healthy...waiting for grants AND studying to comps. 

Both my email and real-mail boxes are devoid of any news.

• 1 month later...

from the past records, for those who got the transcript requests, it seems like we should get the final news in about three weeks... April is going to be one nervous month!

Any idea what the numbers look like now for those who got transcript requests? Good luck!

This is from another message board:

"Transcript request received 5th Feb. It seems like they come in over a period of time. Anyone knows how large the remaining pool is for those whose transcripts were requested?

My understanding of the process, which is based on following message boards over the years and some conversations with professors who have served as SSRC reviewers, is that the pool is cut to around 200 at the "transcript request" stage. So the first cut is quite a significant one (they have received 1,100-1,200 apps in recent years) when compared to other agencies (Wenner-Gren, for instance, cuts about 50 percent in their first round.) The national panel meets in April to go over the remaining 200 or so apps that received transcript requests and they select the 75-80 winners.  The reviewer comments are generally useful and encouraging, but unless you crack that top 15-20 percent, you won't be getting them."