Wenner Gren 2014

Nrrrdgrrrl

Congrats!! It's so nice when you get to ABD. :) Now, if we can only clear the funding hurdle. . . 

Seriously!  I'm sort of stalling on my prospectus until I know for sure whether I'll be heading abroad this Fall.  If so, I'll defend it at the end of April; otherwise, I can wait until August.

Let's just be planning on (positive) results showing up a week from today...maybe if we all wish really hard together, it'll happen!

Right there with you Nrrrdgirl....my proposal defense will happen in a few weeks if I get good news next week...or in the fall otherwise

We're both going to get this one, so we better get to work!

Still waiting over here, too... nervously, nervously waiting... I've planned a full day of day-drinking with some good friends tomorrow, so that should help to distract me! Good luck to all!

Ugh. I hate waiting. I keep telling myself that this doesn't matter, since I'm already in the field and doing my research. Yeah, I'll get to stay longer if I get the Wenner-Gren, but even without it I should be able to scrape by. But I really want it, you guys! Here's hoping we all get some good news soon!

Ugh. I hate waiting. I keep telling myself that this doesn't matter, since I'm already in the field and doing my research. Yeah, I'll get to stay longer if I get the Wenner-Gren, but even without it I should be able to scrape by. But I really want it, you guys! Here's hoping we all get some good news soon!

I'm already planning a celebration, so it would be very silly for me NOT to get it.  I have a feeling that today is the day.  I have to go teach (and I'm having my annual teaching evaluation!), so hopefully I can distract myself with that until the news arrives.

Good luck, everyone!!!

I'm right there with you.  I'll be doing my research in September, and this will determine the length and breadth of the trip.  If I get it, I'll be able to get what I want and not have to worry about pinching pennies.  I'm hoping to get news soon just so that it stops eating at the back of my brain, but I'm not counting on today.  :)

No news here either. Unfortunately, I need grant funding to complete my project. It's very expensive (lots of primary antibodies). I'm guessing we won't hear until next week though.

I am still holding out for today. I don't think I can survive another week, and it would be the latest that results have gone out in many years...

My whole project will have to change without this funding!

No news here either. Unfortunately, I need grant funding to complete my project. It's very expensive (lots of primary antibodies). I'm guessing we won't hear until next week though.

Thankfully I've been able to get some funding elsewhere, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do my project.  It's not enough to cover the whole project, but it's enough that I can try a few other small opportunities to fill the gap for a smaller data collection phase.

I am still holding out for today. I don't think I can survive another week, and it would be the latest that results have gone out in many years...

My whole project will have to change without this funding!

I believe they were pretty late on the last round of grants, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were late on this round as well.  Not that I'm hoping for that or anything, just preparing myself for the wait.

I believe they were pretty late on the last round of grants, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were late on this round as well.  Not that I'm hoping for that or anything, just preparing myself for the wait.

Really? Ugh. Well, hopefully they hurry up

While its normally on a Monday afternoon, in 2011 it was on a Wednesday (the 6th). So even if it doesn't come today, it may come later in the week.

What time do we call it? 5pm ET, since the WG offices are in NYC?

While its normally on a Monday afternoon, in 2011 it was on a Wednesday (the 6th). So even if it doesn't come today, it may come later in the week.

What time do we call it? 5pm ET, since the WG offices are in NYC?

I would say so. Which givs them a little time still. Holding out!

I agree. The first-round notice went out a week later than usual, so that's why I'm guessing it won't be until at least next week. 

I've found some other funding as well, but my project will cost about $30,000 so I need one of the big ones (Wenner Gren or NSF). Sigh. 

I agree. The first-round notice went out a week later than usual, so that's why I'm guessing it won't be until at least next week. 

I've found some other funding as well, but my project will cost about $30,000 so I need one of the big ones (Wenner Gren or NSF). Sigh. 

I'm with you there...my estimate is about 20k for my international research, and probably 10k for local.  C'mon, W-G, give us some cash...we'll do amazing things!

In 2012, first round notifications came later than normal, and final notifications were still April 9th!  But since it's so late, I imagine we're out of time for today...

Edited by Nrrrdgrrrl

And in other news, I just found out that I didn't get the NSF (I applied for the January round). Shit.

So for people who also applied for the NSF, you may be getting news about that this week as well. Although as I understand it, their notification times are pretty staggered. 

And in other news, I just found out that I didn't get the NSF (I applied for the January round). Shit.

So for people who also applied for the NSF, you may be getting news about that this week as well. Although as I understand it, their notification times are pretty staggered. 

I am sorry to hear this. That was a quick turn around for the January round. Do you mind letting people on this forum know what your review panel date was? I just checked and mine is still pending (my review panel date was 4/3). 

Interesting- I just checked Fastlane, and my status for the NSF is still listed as "pending." The rejection e-mail came from Deborah Winslow, though, so I have no doubt that it's the real thing. I can't find the review panel date. 

Don't mean to derail the thread, as I know it's about Wenner-Gren- I just figured there's probably a lot of overlap between the applicants for the two grants, so this info would be relevant to at least some WG people as well! 

Interesting- I just checked Fastlane, and my status for the NSF is still listed as "pending." The rejection e-mail came from Deborah Winslow, though, so I have no doubt that it's the real thing. I can't find the review panel date. 

Don't mean to derail the thread, as I know it's about Wenner-Gren- I just figured there's probably a lot of overlap between the applicants for the two grants, so this info would be relevant to at least some WG people as well! 

You are absolutely right, and it absolutely is helpful!! Thank you, and best of luck for WG. 

P.S. Your panel review date is where is says, Review Information, and "External Peer Review began on" -- if you click on the proposal number on your Proposal Status page of Fast Lane it should take you to the page with that information.