Wenner Gren 2014

Nrrrdgrrrl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

we got second-round notifications pretty early; I got mine July 30th.  So, I'm hoping that final notifications will also be early.  Last cycle, final emails were sent 2 months and 2 days after second-round notifications.  So, on that logic, we could hear any time now!  Trying to get work done on my prospectus, and not check email every 2 seconds.  What is everyone else doing to stay distracted?

Good luck, all!

I received notice at 1pm today that I do not need to resubmit and asking if there were any budget changes, though it stated that my application was still pending. Anyone else? What does this actually mean?

That means that you got it! Congratulations. I got the same e-mail last year, replied and said I still needed the funds/I didn't have changes to my budget, etc. A week and a half later I got confirmation in the mail that I had been awarded a Dissertation Fieldwork Grant.

Everyone else still waiting: see Wenner-Gren's tweet today, regarding applications to the May 2014 cycle: https://twitter.com/WennerGrenOrg/status/519174741975117825

Best of luck to all!

I received notice at 1pm today that I do not need to resubmit and asking if there were any budget changes, though it stated that my application was still pending. Anyone else? What does this actually mean?

I got the same, so I hope xodweeb is right! Good luck!

That means that you got it! Congratulations. I got the same e-mail last year, replied and said I still needed the funds/I didn't have changes to my budget, etc. A week and a half later I got confirmation in the mail that I had been awarded a Dissertation Fieldwork Grant.

Everyone else still waiting: see Wenner-Gren's tweet today, regarding applications to the May 2014 cycle: https://twitter.com/WennerGrenOrg/status/519174741975117825

Best of luck to all!

Thanks for the info! You just replied to the email in a relatively informal way, right? We don't need to compose a formal letter attachment or anything?

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info! You just replied to the email in a relatively informal way, right? We don't need to compose a formal letter attachment or anything?

Thanks for the info!

That's correct. Mine was an informal reply simply answering the few questions they had (budget revision, etc.). W-G will mail the award packet to whichever mailing address you provided to them in your application materials, and there will be some paperwork to sign and return to them. Congrats! :)

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit late to the game here, but congrats to all those who were awarded and good luck to those who are revising!

If anyone is looking for a successful proposal to look at I'm willing to share mine, just PM me. 

To those who have received W-G along with other grants, how are you managing budget revisions? Any advice?

So kind of you, truly.  I PM-ed you.  This is the kind of good karma we need more of! Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I will be applying this coming May, I know I should probably start another thread but there's so much good information and (un)healthy paranoid talk here, I couldn't resist.  =) 

Any advice?  Anyone happy to share their successful application?  At this point I'm aiming to get through to at least the round where they provide feedback.  Then, there's a chance, you know?  What's the success rate? Anyone know?

Hi everyone!

I will be applying this coming May, I know I should probably start another thread but there's so much good information and (un)healthy paranoid talk here, I couldn't resist.  =) 

Any advice?  Anyone happy to share their successful application?  At this point I'm aiming to get through to at least the round where they provide feedback.  Then, there's a chance, you know?  What's the success rate? Anyone know?

About half of applicants make it to round 2; then, about 30% are funded from that pool.

Recently, a new rule was put into effect that limits applications to three, just FYI.  So, when you get those revisions, DO THEM! :-)

About half of applicants make it to round 2; then, about 30% are funded from that pool.

Recently, a new rule was put into effect that limits applications to three, just FYI.  So, when you get those revisions, DO THEM! :-)

That's not too bad!  It's all about getting to the comments stage right?  How did you know you had a good application?  I'm just wondering if you were able to identify what you were doing right. 

That's not too bad!  It's all about getting to the comments stage right?  How did you know you had a good application?  I'm just wondering if you were able to identify what you were doing right. 

Honestly, it was rather a frustrating process.  Two of the three reviewers for my first application disagreed completely on what I did well, and what I needed to fix.  That's a pretty common thing, I think, depending on your project.  Mine was quite non-traditional, so that was a major part of the confusion for my application.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the first round notification (11:37 am MST). The email says it will be 3-4 months for the second round decisions, but based on past years we should hear around mid-April hopefully!

I just got my first-round notification, too (PST). This is my 3rd time applying for WG so I've got all digits crossed! 

Me too! Hopefully the 3rd time is the lucky one!

All the best for everybody! I wish there was no second round and all of us were granted money.

• 1 month later...