Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I decided to see if I could start a thread for those of us applying to "Less Competitive" Schools/Programs.  While I love the SLP 2014 Applicant thread and will still comment and read it, I wanted to see if there were applicants who are applying to schools outside of the bigger programs and CA, NY, FL, etc. 

I personally am applying to a lot of midwest/southwestern schools that are not as competitive as the bigger schools.  Idaho State, West Texas A&M, Jackson State, Central Arkansas, Valdosta, Fort Hays State, Grand Valley State, Western Carolina and Texas AM-Kingsville.( See In My SIGNATURE)

Any one else out there applyig to less competitive programs?  AND WHY?

I am doing it because I have a low OVERALL GPA and most of these schools look at your last 60 units GPA.

Hope you all enjoy this thread!

:)

You know my husband's story, but yes! His AW score was 3.0, which disqualifies him from a lot of schools, so other than SJSU and PSU, he's aiming lower with less competitive schools in the south and midwest. If nothing works out this season, he's planning on applying to Eastern New Mexico in the spring, just to see what happens. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

You know my husband's story, but yes! His AW score was 3.0, which disqualifies him from a lot of schools, so other than SJSU and PSU, he's aiming lower with less competitive schools in the south and midwest. If nothing works out this season, he's planning on applying to Eastern New Mexico in the spring, just to see what happens. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Has your husband taken the GRE more than once and got AW 3.0 every time?  I got a 3.5 the first time and 3.0 the second(when I studied!).  I think he will fair well at FHSU because I have been in contact with one of the Chairs for the last 8 months and he said at least at FHSU they know that AW scores are being graded differently and he thinks a 3.0 isn't a bad thing. :)

He only took it once. He was registered for it a second time, but we backed out because he was advised by several of his colleagues that one score shouldn't keep him out of the running, and that he should probably just diversify his applications instead of rolling the dice on another test. His writing is strong but he's a fairly slow typist - he's fairly sure that running out of time to proofread the essays was the biggest contributor to his low score. I'm glad to hear the news about FHSU though! 

I'm applying to some less competitive programs in Michigan mostly because I have a family, and while it would be awesome to get into a top program, it's really not likely that we will be able to move just for me to go to grad school.  If I end up getting in somewhere, I get a bit of funding, AND my husband finds a job in that particular city, then we will go! I know the likelihood of all those things panning out is relatively low. So I am hoping to get in to either Grand Valley State University or Western Michigan University. I'm actually at GVSU right now completing prereqs, I see you're applying there twinguy7!

I am also applying to less competitive schools for audiology! I would like to point out to any future applicants though that sometimes the higher ranked schools can be less competitive. For example, I am applying to some top 20 schools that accept over 50% of their applicants. When I first started my search, I only looked at lower ranked schools and quickly discovered that some of these are even more competitive because of location, etc! I ended up applying to a range of programs ranked #2 to not even ranked. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure we will all get in somewhere! 

Hey Karita! 

It's always good to hear other perspective and reasons for applying to certain schools.  I hope all works out for you and your family no matter what the outcome! :)

In regards to GVSU, have you heard much about the program?  My friend at FHSU(the chair person) said he knows the program director and it should be a great program.  The prereq's your taking, are they online or are you at campus?  How is the campus if its at campus?  The professors?

The only thing I have heard about the grad program is that they have had some trouble finding enough medical placements for students. I don't know for sure if it's true, but that's what some other people have heard. It's only the first year of the program, so hopefully it's a kink that they are working out. I like most of the professors, there are a couple that I don't care for at all, but I think that can be expected anywhere.  I am taking classes on campus. The College of Health Sciences is a really nice building, right on what's known as the Medical Mile, so it seems convenient for anyone who gets a placement at the hospitals. It's a bit outside of the rest of the downtown campus, but I think GVSU is expanding more in that area as well. Grand Rapids is a great city, too! Beer City, USA, apparently, for anyone who likes craft beer ;)

Have you guys ever looked at the methodology of the rankings?

Go to this link: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/2013/03/11/methodology-best-health-schools-rankings

It's pretty much based on how the faculty and staff view their program.

That being said - I honestly am not choosing the programs based on ranking or competition. I am choosing the program on where I could see myself living in the future and where my boyfriend can get stationed after he is done with his current tour. I am still affiliated with the Military too so I am trying to go where I have some friends/family.

Is there really such a thing as a less competitive program? lol They're all still very selective, and "lower-ranked" does not mean less competitive. The way they calculate the rankings is pretty silly to be honest.

I think though when you get to the so-called "less competitive" programs, really proving your interest in the school and the program can be more important to your admittance. That's what it seems like! Of course all schools look at that, but I think these "less competitive" programs are looking for applicants that really did their research on the program and school. 

I'm not applying this year, but I'll be applying to "less competitive" as well as more competitive dream programs next year, for Fall 2015, so I hope to learn from all of your experiences. :) I'm planning on getting into contact with all the programs I want to apply to and visiting schools before applying, as a lot I want to apply to are clustered in certain areas. And especially to make sure I even meet their prereqs! That said, I don't believe in a less competitive program at all. Truly less competitive speech pathology programs stopped existing in about 2007. :P

But I will apply to the programs I am because of cost (they tend to be cheaper), and I feel I'm a less competitive applicant. My GPA is on the lower end (3.25), I haven't taken the GRE yet though (in April!), and I don't have any letters of rec from my undergrad days. I will do a post-bacc in fall, so I hope to get some letters from those classes, but I don't think they'll be as strong as from professors who I've had for more than 2-3 months. But all of the schools I'm eventually applying to I will apply to because I like the program and location and cost. My mother's health isn't that great, my niece and nephew are growing up too fast, and I've been out of the country for three years, so I'd like to go somewhere nearby my family. Relatively nearby. :)

Edited by MangoSmoothie

Hey! First off I can't believe I went through the entire application process without realizing to look at this forum!

Anways, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. My GPA is on the lower side (3.1) and I took my GREs last year and they aren't competitive at all (147 V, 143 Q, 3.5 AW). 

Because of financial reasons I decided to apply to schools closer to home so mainly in NJ and a few in NY. I looked at schools that were more accepting of what my personal statement has to say along with my LORs. I'm applying to 4 schools in NJ: Monclair State, Seton Hall (where I did my undergrad), Monmouth, and Kean and 3 in NYC: Hunter College, Queens College, and Brooklyn College. 

The tri-state area is a pretty competitive area but I feel like some of these schools aren't as renown for their speech programs so I decided to leave there here  :)

Have you been to Bend, OR???? Ummmmmm... My personal Heaven!!

Haha, no!! I haven't! I haven't been over to that side of the country at all unfortunately :'( If I ever make a trip, I'll put it on our route!

It's one of the reasons I am hoping for the Pacific Northwest. I gave been so spoiled in San Diego with all of its craft awesomeness that it's hard to give up going back to the east coast... :-/

When you are an SLP and making the big bucks you must make that trip!

Hey! First off I can't believe I went through the entire application process without realizing to look at this forum!

Anways, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. My GPA is on the lower side (3.1) and I took my GREs last year and they aren't competitive at all (147 V, 143 Q, 3.5 AW). 

Because of financial reasons I decided to apply to schools closer to home so mainly in NJ and a few in NY. I looked at schools that were more accepting of what my personal statement has to say along with my LORs. I'm applying to 4 schools in NJ: Monclair State, Seton Hall (where I did my undergrad), Monmouth, and Kean and 3 in NYC: Hunter College, Queens College, and Brooklyn College. 

The tri-state area is a pretty competitive area but I feel like some of these schools aren't as renown for their speech programs so I decided to leave there here  :)

I have similar GRE scores (146V 145Q 4.0 AW) and I am applying to Hunter and Brooklyn College. I was told by the graduate deputy at Brooklyn College they will look at the whole package. I know schools in NYC are extremely competitive especially the CUNY ones.

Is the GPA you posted your overall GPA or your GPA for your SLP courses? 

It's one of the reasons I am hoping for the Pacific Northwest. I gave been so spoiled in San Diego with all of its craft awesomeness that it's hard to give up going back to the east coast... :-/

When you are an SLP and making the big bucks you must make that trip!

Isn't that the truth! We moved from Portland to San Jose last summer (we're originally from SJ) and I've literally given up drinking beer because the selection here is so poor compared to Portland. I can't wait to go back!

I decided to see if I could start a thread for those of us applying to "Less Competitive" Schools/Programs.  While I love the SLP 2014 Applicant thread and will still comment and read it, I wanted to see if there were applicants who are applying to schools outside of the bigger programs and CA, NY, FL, etc.

Wait - I didn't realize all of FL programs were competitive! Making me nervous, here, because 2/4 schools I'm applying to are in FL!

I think I am applying to "less competitive" schools. Or at least schools where the average stats are below mine. Since I used strength of autism-related resources as my main criteria, and cost as the secondary criteria, I didn't pay attention to rankings and ended up applying to schools that are all over the competitive-ness spectrum. Of course, by the nature of SLP grad schools, even the least competitive school I'm applying to (Marshall University, in WV) has only a 36% acceptance rate...but I would still say that qualifies it as being 'less competitive'.

What would you guys define as being less competitive?

What would you guys define as being less competitive?

This is a great question because it seems everyone has a different idea of what a "less competitive" school or program.  I guess my definition and reason for starting this thread would be that a "less competitive" school would be one where there are less applicants AND the GPA/GRE requirements are lower than other schools.  This makes the school more likely to accept those with lower GPA's and lower GRE scores.  for example here is ENMU GPA's and GRE's of those accepted in recent years and also how many applications they got.

Undergraduate GPA
Major GPA
GRE Verbal
GRE Quantitative

GRE

Writing

Number of Complete Applications
Data not kept
Data not kept

I would classify Eastern New Mexico University as a less competitive school.  

Some may classify a less competitive school just on ratio of applicants to how many they accept, but that does not take into account the GPA's and GRE scores of those applicants.  The school may merely get less applicants just because everyone knows they only accept the highest GPA's and GRE scores.  

How would others classify a less competitive school?

I have similar GRE scores (146V 145Q 4.0 AW) and I am applying to Hunter and Brooklyn College. I was told by the graduate deputy at Brooklyn College they will look at the whole package. I know schools in NYC are extremely competitive especially the CUNY ones.

Is the GPA you posted your overall GPA or your GPA for your SLP courses? 

That's my overall GPA. My GPA for my SLP courses is a 3.48, so not amazing but yeah I'm hoping they'll look at my experiences and LORs. 

That's my overall GPA. My GPA for my SLP courses is a 3.48, so not amazing but yeah I'm hoping they'll look at my experiences and LORs. 

Your GPA for your SLP courses is not so bad. I am sure your experiences and LORs will compensate.  ;)

I've also applies to some less competitive programs... I've applied to Idaho State University, Central Arkansas, BYU, and Northern Arizona University.

The main reason I applied to some less competitive programs is because I really want to be accepted Fall semester and not do another go around of apps next year. For me, getting into grad school out weighs which grad school. My grades are decent but I don't have a strong GRE, so I know my chances of getting into top programs is limited due to my GRE. However, I still did shoot for the stars and applied to my "dream schools" so I could say I tried, but I honestly would be thrilled to receive acceptance from any of the "less competitive" programs I listed :) I think it is good to have a well-rounded mix of schools to apply to. I had some top schools, middle of road, and less competitive. Now it's just a waiting game!!! :blink: 

The main reason I applied to some less competitive programs is because I really want to be accepted Fall semester and not do another go around of apps next year. For me, getting into grad school out weighs which grad school. 

100% agreed! This is my third (!) time applying. I applied to the three Canadian schools that offer audiology last year (I only applied to one the previous year) and didn't get in after one waitlist. I'm hoping the American programs will be less competitive because there is just so many more of them. 

Your GPA for your SLP courses is not so bad. I am sure your experiences and LORs will compensate.  ;)

Thanks! Did you apply to a lot of schools? I'm getting that nervous feeling of adding on a few more last minute but restraining myself from spending more money  :unsure:

On 1/25/2014 at 4:04 PM, Ssen said:

Thanks! Did you apply to a lot of schools? I'm getting that nervous feeling of adding on a few more last minute but restraining myself from spending more money  :unsure:

Ssen, I only applied to three. This is because of their affordability. I applied to three CUNYs. I simply can't afford to go to another private school. I already owe thousands in loans.  :(