Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I just wanted to give a huge thank you to all who have contributed to this post. I'm a long-time reader, but first-time poster and I basically copied all of you regarding where to apply haha. This round (Fall 2015) is my second time applying and my stats are low... I have a 3.39 cumulative GPA and only a 3.28 major. My GRE scores (second time taking the test) are V: 151, Q: 150, AW: 4.0. My first time applying was for Fall 2014 and I applied to West Texas A&M (got an interview), Texas Woman's, Texas State, CU Boulder (my alma mater), Univ of Northern Colorado, and Northern Arizona. I was rejected from all without even a waitlist.

This time, I did my research and applied to 11 "less competitive" schools with the help of this post. I applied to Univ of Northern Colorado (this one is super competitive, but less than Boulder and I currently live in the Boulder area), Pacific Univ Oregon, Fort Hays State, Indiana State, Idaho State, Univ of Central Arkansas, Hofstra, Harding, Eastern New Mexico, Grand Valley State, and Loyola Maryland. I'm waitlisted at Indiana State, still waiting to hear from Loyola, Idaho State, and Grand Valley State (but I know they interview & I didn't get one, sooo pretty sure that's a rejection), but a few days ago I got an acceptance from Univ of Central Arkansas!!! I was/still am shocked.

You always read on here to never give up, it will happen, etc. It's so true! I was truly about to give up. Sorry to ramble for days, but THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this post. You all were huge influences to me in where I applied my second time and it worked!! So now I'm going to join in and say to never give up! It will happen :)

I just wanted to give a huge thank you to all who have contributed to this post. I'm a long-time reader, but first-time poster and I basically copied all of you regarding where to apply haha. This round (Fall 2015) is my second time applying and my stats are low... I have a 3.39 cumulative GPA and only a 3.28 major. My GRE scores (second time taking the test) are V: 151, Q: 150, AW: 4.0. My first time applying was for Fall 2014 and I applied to West Texas A&M (got an interview), Texas Woman's, Texas State, CU Boulder (my alma mater), Univ of Northern Colorado, and Northern Arizona. I was rejected from all without even a waitlist.

This time, I did my research and applied to 11 "less competitive" schools with the help of this post. I applied to Univ of Northern Colorado (this one is super competitive, but less than Boulder and I currently live in the Boulder area), Pacific Univ Oregon, Fort Hays State, Indiana State, Idaho State, Univ of Central Arkansas, Hofstra, Harding, Eastern New Mexico, Grand Valley State, and Loyola Maryland. I'm waitlisted at Indiana State, still waiting to hear from Loyola, Idaho State, and Grand Valley State (but I know they interview & I didn't get one, sooo pretty sure that's a rejection), but a few days ago I got an acceptance from Univ of Central Arkansas!!! I was/still am shocked.

You always read on here to never give up, it will happen, etc. It's so true! I was truly about to give up. Sorry to ramble for days, but THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this post. You all were huge influences to me in where I applied my second time and it worked!! So now I'm going to join in and say to never give up! It will happen :)

Congratulations!! Let me know if you want any info about Conway or UCA, I'm happy to relay them to my husband. :)

@speechashie I'm in such a similar boat as you! Applied to 8 last year, got rejected from all 8. Reapplied this year to a lot of the schools in this thread and got that one acceptance I was looking for! So thank you to everyone who had input in this thread as well! Also congrats @speechashie! It's such a great feeling getting that acceptance!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I've been reading these threads for the past year, and now as I'm getting ready to apply for grad school I'm pretty nervous. A lot of people have posted how their undergrad gpa was terrible but there csd gpa was 10x better. I'm the opposite. My cumulative gpa from undergrad was a 3.4 and the last 60 a 3.8. But sadly, my csd gpa after finishing my post bacc program will be around a 3.2. I really planned on retaking some of my post bacc courses, but was told I can only retake courses lower than a C-. Since I didn't get any grades lower than a C- there's not much I can do about improving my csd gpa. I haven't taken the GRE yet but will begin studying for it after I finish my last 2 classes this summer (ending my post bacc program). I'm looking to get opinions on whether or not I still have a chance of getting into grad school? Also, what are some jobs/volunteer opportunities you think would help strengthen my application? Regarding my B.A, I double majored in Child Development and Family Life Education so I have experience working with kids (I've interned for a transition program, have worked in an after school program, and currently work at a school that works with children with behavioral issues). But I haven't done anything specifically related to SLP. If anyone has any recommendations/comments/opinions please send them my way! Oh and lastly, are there any opportunities for volunteering or working with an SLP abroad? I'll be out of school for a year and would really like to travel but also do something related to SLP. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I've been reading these threads for the past year, and now as I'm getting ready to apply for grad school I'm pretty nervous. A lot of people have posted how their undergrad gpa was terrible but there csd gpa was 10x better. I'm the opposite. My cumulative gpa from undergrad was a 3.4 and the last 60 a 3.8. But sadly, my csd gpa after finishing my post bacc program will be around a 3.2. I really planned on retaking some of my post bacc courses, but was told I can only retake courses lower than a C-. Since I didn't get any grades lower than a C- there's not much I can do about improving my csd gpa. I haven't taken the GRE yet but will begin studying for it after I finish my last 2 classes this summer (ending my post bacc program). I'm looking to get opinions on whether or not I still have a chance of getting into grad school? Also, what are some jobs/volunteer opportunities you think would help strengthen my application? Regarding my B.A, I double majored in Child Development and Family Life Education so I have experience working with kids (I've interned for a transition program, have worked in an after school program, and currently work at a school that works with children with behavioral issues). But I haven't done anything specifically related to SLP. If anyone has any recommendations/comments/opinions please send them my way! Oh and lastly, are there any opportunities for volunteering or working with an SLP abroad? I'll be out of school for a year and would really like to travel but also do something related to SLP. Thank you!

Ambularr, I am in a similar boat as you! My overall GPA thus far is a 3.2 (hopefully I can get it up a bit before application season begins) and my CMD major GPA is a 3.4 (potentially can be a 3.5 after next semester before application season!). My last 60 should (hopefully) be decently high before I begin applying. I haven't taken the GRE yet but hopefully I do well on it to help balance out my low GPA. But one thing I am doing to help my application stand out a little is shadowing/volunteering for an SLP in a hospital this summer! I also plan on going back next winter break, as well. Doing a lot of shadowing and/or volunteering in the field looks really great on an application, you should definitely look into it! I'm planning on applying to less competitive programs, such as schools in the south or midwest (I'm willing to relocate anywhere to pursue this career!). I use ASHA's edfind to research programs that would possibly be willing to take a chance on me. Hopefully this helps! good luck!

• 1 month later...

Ambularr, I am in a similar boat as you! My overall GPA thus far is a 3.2 (hopefully I can get it up a bit before application season begins) and my CMD major GPA is a 3.4 (potentially can be a 3.5 after next semester before application season!). My last 60 should (hopefully) be decently high before I begin applying. I haven't taken the GRE yet but hopefully I do well on it to help balance out my low GPA. But one thing I am doing to help my application stand out a little is shadowing/volunteering for an SLP in a hospital this summer! I also plan on going back next winter break, as well. Doing a lot of shadowing and/or volunteering in the field looks really great on an application, you should definitely look into it! I'm planning on applying to less competitive programs, such as schools in the south or midwest (I'm willing to relocate anywhere to pursue this career!). I use ASHA's edfind to research programs that would possibly be willing to take a chance on me. Hopefully this helps! good luck!

Glad I've met someone like me! Sorry for the late reply but I'm definitely taking your advice about volunteering. I'm about to start this year long volunteer program that pairs me up with a TBI survior, I'm really excited! Also, I figured out I may be able to retake a couple classes if my school department feels it would make a significant GPA difference (which it would!) My dilemma now is how I'm going to find the time to do all of this during application cycle :wacko: . I'm considering only applying to schools that don't require the GRE OR applying to schools that have spring admissions. My main focus is the two classes I need to retake. If I apply to schools that don't require the GRE or apply to schools with spring admissions, it gives me additional time to study/take the GRE AFTER I'm done with school. Since I'm on the quarter system, by early-mid December I'd be done with classes and able to focus on just the GRE.  :rolleyes: What do you think?

So I've been thinking this over and just decided to ask, even if nobody really knows.  It seems like a lot of you are having good luck applying to these schools, I was just curious does anyone think that since this list has been around a couple cycles and might pop up say if you google "less competitive schools" that these schools may be becoming in fact harder to get into due to a higher number of students considering them to be "safety" schools?  I wouldn't discourage anyone from applying at all since it seems like a lot of people have had success.  I'm just curious if these "easier to find" schools are becoming more competitive as a result...

So I've been thinking this over and just decided to ask, even if nobody really knows.  It seems like a lot of you are having good luck applying to these schools, I was just curious does anyone think that since this list has been around a couple cycles and might pop up say if you google "less competitive schools" that these schools may be becoming in fact harder to get into due to a higher number of students considering them to be "safety" schools?  I wouldn't discourage anyone from applying at all since it seems like a lot of people have had success.  I'm just curious if these "easier to find" schools are becoming more competitive as a result...

Probably. UCA had a significant increase in the number of students applying for fall 2015 as compared to previous years.

• 4 months later...

This is months after the latest post...but I just had to post something. I have a few semesters left in my undergrad. I am already trying to research schools and figure out where it's best to apply. I am at University of Houston where they have a graduate program that is super competitive. I do feel that because the forum has been through a few "cycles" that it has made some of the schools mentioned a little more popular to apply to. If you find yourself here we definitely need to do another round of research. I read this forum a while ago and have come back to be even more encouraged by the success of all of you. I hope that when my time comes to apply to grad school there will be some success. I will have a 3.3 by the end of my current semester, and am going to start studying for my GRE very soon. I believe my highest possible GPA is a 3.5. I am also planning to volunteer at a speech clinic and for other organizations in the coming months. I pray I'm on the right track. By the time I know it I'll be going through the application process. I appreciate all the positivity and wish everyone continued success! 

Just wanted to give some encouragement to all those out there who have less than stellar grades, GRE scores, etc.   You can do it!!!  Keep getting great relative experiences and get in contact with those department heads to see what you can do to improve your applications.  

I had less than stellar grades and GRE scores but my experiences helped and I am proud to say I am now an SLP!!!  I graduated Last week!!!   KEEP YOUR HEADS UP and keep your thoughts, actions and experiences centered on helping others as this is what our profession is all about!!!   Good luck to all and I will always be available for advice if needed just contact me!!!

Mike

• 2 years later...
On 1/23/2014 at 8:12 PM, DeafAudi said:

I am also applying to less competitive schools for audiology! I would like to point out to any future applicants though that sometimes the higher ranked schools can be less competitive. For example, I am applying to some top 20 schools that accept over 50% of their applicants. When I first started my search, I only looked at lower ranked schools and quickly discovered that some of these are even more competitive because of location, etc! I ended up applying to a range of programs ranked #2 to not even ranked. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure we will all get in somewhere! 

If you don't mind, could you list the top 20 schools that accept 50% of applicants? The rest of my stats are excellent, but I have a low GRE quant score (140) and I was rejected by UTD.