Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

Got notification from Idaho State that my app. is complete and will hear back in April!  eeeek!  Long time.  I also received an email from Fort Hays State.  Scheduled a phone interview for Wednesday 2/12! 

I saw your stats go up! Congrats!

Meanwhile, ETS still hasn't responded in the 2 business days that they promise, to my husband's email asking where on earth his GRE scores are ... They were sent to USM and FHSU before the Feb 1 deadline (like, confirmed sent by ETS, not just requested!) and neither school has received them.  :(  He sent another email but we're both going to be pretty upset if all the money for app fees/transcripts/score reports was wasted.

Anyone have an idea if University of Central Florida is considered a 'less competitive' Speech program? I know they admit more than once a year and a larger number of students than most programs but I don't know if that makes them any easier than others solely because of that...... Thoughts?

They accept about 30% of applicants. I'd say that makes them less competitive (unfortunately that's a pretty high rate).

I am going to join you all in the "less competitive" schools discussion. This is my second year applying, bah. I knew it was competitive but I thought I had a chance considering I had a lot of experience and decent grades. My SLP course GPA is a 3.91, SHS major including physics, math etc is a 3.58, grad work 4.0 and my overall is my weakest a 3.1. GRE is in the middle 150's for both. I was wait listed to a couple of schools and flat out rejected by my own school, which hurt the most. I was the NSSLHA volunteer coordinator in charge of all the fundraising and events and I thought I had a good relationship with my professors, not sure what happened there. Anyway it was a blessing in disguise because now I have my speech language pathology apprentice license and I am working for a multicultural/ bilingual therapy clinic and they have me contracted with a school district. I have 38 amazing students on my caseload and I love my job more than anything. I wouldn't trade it for a year earlier at grad school. It has reaffirmed that things happen for a reason and I know now that I can never give on my dream of being an SLP. This year I have that experience to supplement my application and I think I kicked my last years applications butt. We will see. I am applying to Texas state,UNM, Portland, Pacific, Illinois State, NM state, and Armstrong Atlantic. I am praying! The waiting is killing me. Good luck to everyone. Also remember that if you don't get this first time or second there is a reason why, I truly believe that.

I am going to join you all in the "less competitive" schools discussion. This is my second year applying, bah. I knew it was competitive but I thought I had a chance considering I had a lot of experience and decent grades. My SLP course GPA is a 3.91, SHS major including physics, math etc is a 3.58, grad work 4.0 and my overall is my weakest a 3.1. GRE is in the middle 150's for both. I was wait listed to a couple of schools and flat out rejected by my own school, which hurt the most. I was the NSSLHA volunteer coordinator in charge of all the fundraising and events and I thought I had a good relationship with my professors, not sure what happened there. Anyway it was a blessing in disguise because now I have my speech language pathology apprentice license and I am working for a multicultural/ bilingual therapy clinic and they have me contracted with a school district. I have 38 amazing students on my caseload and I love my job more than anything. I wouldn't trade it for a year earlier at grad school. It has reaffirmed that things happen for a reason and I know now that I can never give on my dream of being an SLP. This year I have that experience to supplement my application and I think I kicked my last years applications butt. We will see. I am applying to Texas state,UNM, Portland, Pacific, Illinois State, NM state, and Armstrong Atlantic. I am praying! The waiting is killing me. Good luck to everyone. Also remember that if you don't get this first time or second there is a reason why, I truly believe that.

Wow, I am surprised you did not get in anywhere last year!  I am in your same boat, but my grades and GRE's are even lower than yours!  So this past year I have been working as an SLP with a credential waiver and have 30 students on my caseload!  Hope we both find the right fit in a school we applied to!  Good luck!  :)

jenbugg86:

I cannot believe I didn't think of that. Here I am, worrying about not having a fall-back plan for if I don't get in to grad school...when I can just become an SLPA! Wow. *face palms*  Anyways, I'm feeling a lot better now. Still very much hope I get in, mind you, but the stakes for not getting in just feel like they've become a little less high....a comforting thought.

Meanwhile, ETS still hasn't responded in the 2 business days that they promise, to my husband's email asking where on earth his GRE scores are ... They were sent to USM and FHSU before the Feb 1 deadline (like, confirmed sent by ETS, not just requested!) and neither school has received them.  :(  He sent another email but we're both going to be pretty upset if all the money for app fees/transcripts/score reports was wasted.

Application anxiety indeed. They both got back to him this morning -- the scores were received. USM just hasn't updated his account and FHSU just didn't bother telling him that they had been received.  <_<

I think my schools might be less competitive. I'm applying to Southern Illinois Edwardsville and Saint Louis University. My fiance' and I bought a house in Edwardsville since that's where we're from and where his job is, so hopefully I'll get in to one of these two!

I'm thinking of trying my luck and asking two professors for an extra letter..since Lehman isn't due till 3/1, is this program considered less competitive?

I think thats a great investment....  and yes Jackson state as well if your feeling very lucky!  Doesn't hurt!  

They do, they require three. It's a town of about 130k people though, so while it's not massive (i'm from a city of a million people, not counting suburbs, so i know the hesitation!) it's certainly not so small that everyone should know your business. :)

Wow, I am surprised you did not get in anywhere last year! I am in your same boat, but my grades and GRE's are even lower than yours! So this past year I have been working as an SLP with a credential waiver and have 30 students on my caseload! Hope we both find the right fit in a school we applied to! Good luck! :)

Thanks @twingguy7 Good luck to you! I have to think or hope our experiences sets us apart in a good way. And @doubleshot there is no doubt your getting in! You are bilingual and have nearly perfect grades and a high Gre. I am tempted to say you should not be worried. But if I made you feel better I am glad. What is your guys first choice, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by jenbugg86

So I'm extremely nervous. I keep freaking myself out that I am not going to get into any of the schools I applied too. I mainly applied in nj, pa, and university of Louisiana at Lafayette. My number one school is La Salle.

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.57 and a major GPA of 3.8, my GRE scores are Verbal- 147, Quantitative- 146 (I'm terrible at math), and 4.5 on the writing section. Does that seem like a solid foundation? I have lots of clinical experience and work at a therapy place now. I just want march to come ASAP!

I've been lurking for a while and haven't posted but I feel like I'm in the same boat as many of you. I have a 3.49 cumulative GPA (3.7 last 60 credits) with a 150 on both GRE Q and V and a 4.5 on writing. I have some research experience, and I will be presenting at the Pennsylvania state conference this April, and my research group is preparing a manuscript for publication. I've applied to less competitive schools, with my top choice being the University of New Hampshire. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else on here that has applied there. The anxiousness of waiting to hear back from anywhere is really getting to me. Good luck to us all!

Edited by Sammehh

I haven't had a chance to read through everyone's comments on this thread, but I am looking forward to reading what everyone has to say. I took time to work in a pre-school as a pre-kindergarten teacher after college instead of applying to graduate school right away. Unfortunately, there weren't any job opportunities for recent undergraduates holding NY teacher of speech certification in my area. 

I applied to 4 graduate schools last year (Brooklyn College, Queens College, Montclair, St. John's University). I wanted to stay in the NY area, mostly for financial reasons. Unfortunately, I was rejected from 3 and waitlisted to Montclair.

My GPA is not competitive AT ALL. I truly messed up in undergrad. I took a few non-matriculated grad classes at Teachers College this past fall and earned a 4.0 in them, so I am hoping that shows how I have matured over the past couple years. 

This year, I'm applying to 14 schools scattered across the US (as you can see below! :) ). I've lost hope in getting into a public school in NY because they get so many applicants! 

It's really nice knowing that there are so many other people out there going through the same thing and feeling super anxious waiting to hear back from schools! I check my e-mail constantly.

It sounds like you will definitely get in this year! I still don't understand how the admissions committee for ANY of these schools decides who to accept and reject. You, along with so many others, sound like an amazingly qualified prospective student. I just don't get it!

I haven't had a chance to read through everyone's comments on this thread, but I am looking forward to reading what everyone has to say. I took time to work in a pre-school as a pre-kindergarten teacher after college instead of applying to graduate school right away. Unfortunately, there weren't any job opportunities for recent undergraduates holding NY teacher of speech certification in my area. 

I applied to 4 graduate schools last year (Brooklyn College, Queens College, Montclair, St. John's University). I wanted to stay in the NY area, mostly for financial reasons. Unfortunately, I was rejected from 3 and waitlisted to Montclair.

My GPA is not competitive AT ALL. I truly messed up in undergrad. I took a few non-matriculated grad classes at Teachers College this past fall and earned a 4.0 in them, so I am hoping that shows how I have matured over the past couple years. 

This year, I'm applying to 14 schools scattered across the US (as you can see below! :) ). I've lost hope in getting into a public school in NY because they get so many applicants! 

It's really nice knowing that there are so many other people out there going through the same thing and feeling super anxious waiting to hear back from schools! I check my e-mail constantly.

Daisyinc, is that your overall GPA or your SLP GPA? 

I went to Hofstra for undergrad. It is a beautiful campus, but not so great neighborhood.  It is also very expensive.