Cotsen Institute of Archaeology- UCLA applicants

Daisy123

And xstopfloating, i think that generally, about 50% decline admissions- or course that would sound so much better if it was out of the 10-11 people they usually take rather than the 5-6 this time.....we are talking about 2-3 people opening up a spot here......based on average statistics ...ughhhh.

Is this your top school choice? 

It most certainly is! :) Let's just say... my POI there is one of only two or three people (that I could immediately find, at least) in the US to specialize in my region of interest. :wacko:

What about you? Is this your top choice? I haven't heard back from anywhere else yet, so this waitlist has me especially stressed. haha

this is also my top choice. what is your topic by the way?

Hey Daisy, sorry I forgot to respond! I actually rather not say at this point in the game because it could easily identify me to the admissions committee. Also, if it turns out that I'm waiting for a particular person to decline their acceptance, I don't want them knowing that I'm relying on them. haha Hope you understand!

wait listed. I'm super surprised, I didnt think I had a shot.

Congrats! I didn't think I had a shot either, but now this waitlist status has me dealing with the worst anxiety I've had all application season. :unsure:

Congrats! I didn't think I had a shot either, but now this waitlist status has me dealing with the worst anxiety I've had all application season. :unsure:

Thanks! I resisted coming on grad cafe after I got the news, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Of course, I'm totally freaking out now.

Also, if it turns out that I'm waiting for a particular person to decline their acceptance, I don't want them knowing that I'm relying on them. haha Hope you understand!

I don't think the waitlist works that way. In any case, there's 2-3 students each for most of the specialties invited this year. (Not every area gets students every year.) 

Edited by aarch

yes the wait list does not work like that- in order...unfortunately its an admissions process alllllllllllllllll over again from  the wait list

Yipes! Ugh. Thanks for clarifying it for me, Daisy. I feel so in the dark. hah

i am with you....the wait list is like an extended admissions process....its not even a grantee if someone drops out!!! In your guys' opinion, how many people are on that wait list ? I mean.....knowing that they will take in 5-6 students, how many people do you think are waitlisted- 5 are on this site.....ugh......

Also, to get the anxiety cloud away from our little chat here,- what are you are your areas of interest? what concentration, region, periods, ect ? 

i am with you....the wait list is like an extended admissions process....its not even a grantee if someone drops out!!! In your guys' opinion, how many people are on that wait list ? I mean.....knowing that they will take in 5-6 students, how many people do you think are waitlisted- 5 are on this site.....ugh......

Also, to get the anxiety cloud away from our little chat here,- what are you are your areas of interest? what concentration, region, periods, ect ? 

How did you guys find out? I got an e-mail that said they were impressed with my application and that I was an alternate, that my acceptance would be dependent on other people not going to UCLA. they didn't specifically say anything about a "wait list". Have I been thinking I'm on a wait list when I am really not?

How did you guys find out? I got an e-mail that said they were impressed with my application and that I was an alternate, that my acceptance would be dependent on other people not going to UCLA. they didn't specifically say anything about a "wait list". Have I been thinking I'm on a wait list when I am really not?

That's how I found out. I guess I just assumed alternate = waitlisted...?

yes thats the email i got , but i spoke with the director FIST and he told me that i was on a list of alternates and i said "so is this the wait list" and he said "thats the wait list" 

Hello All,

I am also an "alternate" for this year's round of admits. This is my first year applying to graduate schools and I am pleasantly surprised that I stand a chance at all! I do have a friend that was admitted to this program off of the wait list and I know quite a few other folks at UCs that also got into their programs via the wait list. There is hope! 

I am waiting to hear from other schools, but I think I was a little too bold in my applications. In other words: I applied at places I had, honestly, no business applying at. But that's ok, Fortune favors the bold, doesn't she?

LA is not my idle locale, but I am flattered that I will be considered in the event that someone turns their offer down. Let's hope they are all accepted to U Penn and decline their UCLA offers!

Edited by catsrgods

Hello All,

I am also an "alternate" for this year's round of admits. This is my first year applying to graduate schools and I am pleasantly surprised that I stand a chance at all! I do have a friend that was admitted to this program off of the wait list and I know quite a few other folks at UCs that also got into their programs via the wait list. There is hope! 

I am waiting to hear from other schools, but I think I was a little too bold in my applications. In other words: I applied at places I had, honestly, no business applying at. But that's ok, Fortune favors the bold, doesn't she?

LA is not my idle locale, but I am flattered that I will be considered in the event that someone turns their offer down. Let's hope they are all accepted to U Penn and decline their UCLA offers!

hello there! congrats on the wait list- just out of curiosity, have you posted in the results page that you have been wait-listed? I am asking because i have counted 5 of us that are there :))) 

What is your concentration, and what is your top choice? 

I agree, cats are gods indeed :)

hello there! congrats on the wait list- just out of curiosity, have you posted in the results page that you have been wait-listed? I am asking because i have counted 5 of us that are there :))) 

What is your concentration, and what is your top choice? 

I agree, cats are gods indeed :)

I did post on the results page, so you've included me in your count! I am sure there are more people on the wait list that don't use Grad Cafe, but I'm hoping it's just us. I am also seriously hoping that many of the top tier students are accepted at other schools and they decline their UCLA offers, leaving room for the wait listed folks in limbo.

UCLA is the only archaeology program I applied to, the others were art history programs, and it is my top choice out of all the places I sent applications to. My undergrad background is in art history, but my concentration has always been ancient Roman art/history. Archaeology makes sense at this point because it is more hands-on and context plays such a huge role in studying ancient people and the stuff they made. In searching for schools to apply to, I found that a lot of art history departments are heavy-handed in supporting students with interests in the Early Modern period and later, the future classical art historians seem pushed to the side. An archaeology program would help remedy that problem! The art history programs I applied to were probably out of my league, but they had great opportunities for classical art historians so I took my chances. UCLA is my top choice for many reasons, but one big reason is that I am local to L.A (even though L.A itself is not my favorite city, that would be San Francisco!) and have laid down solid roots and connections here. I am a docent at a local museum and I am on a committee that is working with the Getty Conservation Institute to have some public art work conserved for an upcoming symposium. I'd really like to stay in this area and keep working on the projects I've already started while continuing my education. If it doesn't work out, I have a Plan B (C, D, and E....).

Cats are awesome, seriously. I worked in an animal shelter before going back to school and still do volunteer work with cats every week. Hugely rewarding part of my life. I love dogs, too, don't get me wrong. I have fostered puppies and adult dogs, but cats work with my lifestyle a little more. I like independent animals that don't need to be walked!

Edited by catsrgods

By the way, did any of you actually respond to the waitlist e-mail? I feel kinda awkward having not done so!

I was just about to ask the same question. I did not, although I feel like maybe I should have now.

Hi everyone -  Long-time lurker, first time poster. I am one of the anonymous waitlisted people on the results page. This waitlist seems incredibly long! I got the same email as you, addressed to "Dear Candidate," which I found both bizarre and slightly insulting. I did reply to the email to reaffirm my interest in the program; I figured it never hurts to let them know that you haven't yet accepted another offer! 

Best of luck to everyone I hope a few of you (us!) get an offer in the end! 

yeah, dear candidate totally hit the spot on ....hahah and i found it super funny that they were "impressed" by the application- if you are that impressed to offer a wait list , i wonder what they write to those accepted - "we were enamored by your application" ?

I did not respond to the email..cuz it was generic, but i actually found out BEFORE hand while speaking to the director. I did just as you did Melian4 and stated again how much i wanted to go there....

catsrgods, its great that you do all these volunteer activities with animals, i wish there were more people like you in the world. 

Your research interests are also very diverse and so are your experiences- i am sure you have a good chance! 

I

I am interested in Neolithic- EBA Anatolia, with focus on mortuary analysis and bioarchaeology. What about all of you guys- what would you like to study? 

The email I received was written by the Chair but sent from the someone else's email account. I did not respond to it since I was unsure of whether my response would even be read. It seems like there are a lot of people on the wait list, which is certainly not a good sign for all of us. I keep hoping that some of the admits on the results page for anthro programs include some of the folks that were admitted to UCLA. 

Are any of you folks in Southern California?