Cotsen Institute of Archaeology- UCLA applicants

Daisy123

there are around 5-6 .....i am hoping thats it since there are going to be 5-6 people who are admitted this year....i have no idea what to think about the wait lists.....i never heard of anyone being wait listed 

Like I mentioned, I do know one person (in real life) that was admitted to the Archaeology program from the wait list. I also know people that have been admitted to UCLA and UCI from wait lists in their respective programs, though that might not be the best info to go on. Clearly it happens, but it seems like there won't be many spots for us this year. I've got a Plan B so I won't be too distraught if this doesn't work out, but my Plan A would be a much more fun plan to go with. It sounds like it's less about the wait listed folks competing with each other and more about whether the person that was admitted in your area of interest turning their admissions letter down. 

Anyone have any field work plans for the summer?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my fellow wait listies :) I wanted to see how you are doing while waiting- do you have back up plans and programs?

. I have been rejected by most everything, only 3 left to hear from, and this UCLA looks like my only realistic hope..

on another note, to relieve stress, which PO's did you guys want to work with? what is your research interest? Have you heard any more news from Cotsen :)

Good luck and i hope everyone gets in their top choice~

Hello my fellow wait listies :) I wanted to see how you are doing while waiting- do you have back up plans and programs?

. I have been rejected by most everything, only 3 left to hear from, and this UCLA looks like my only realistic hope..

on another note, to relieve stress, which PO's did you guys want to work with? what is your research interest? Have you heard any more news from Cotsen :)

Good luck and i hope everyone gets in their top choice~

Hey Daisy! Hanging in over here in wait list limbo. I have 2 other schools to hear from but I am not holding my breathe, both are way out of my league. My backup plan is to keep doing what I am doing: working at a museum, working on some blog projects, spending time with friends, traveling a bit domestically, finishing my master's thesis, volunteer stuff, and trying not to be too incredibly butthurt that my PhD aspirations are probably not going to happen this year. 

I haven't heard anything from Cotsen and I've been trying to not think about it too much. I know that we probably won't hear anything till March and considering there are quite a few folks on the wait list I'm not real sure what will happen. We can't all get in, unfortunately. I am contemplating a move to Minneapolis if this year is a bust…I just got back from a weekend trip there and I fall more in love with it each time I visit! 

How are the rest of you holding up?

Keep hanging in there guys :) And now for round 2: Next week, the wait list will be trimmed down (yes, i stalked again).....we wont be hearing anything after those cuts until early April...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Keep hanging in there guys :) And now for round 2: Next week, the wait list will be trimmed down (yes, i stalked again).....we wont be hearing anything after those cuts until early April...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

April? oh cheese and crackers. 

April? oh cheese and crackers.

HAHAHAHAHH :))))) 

Thank you for making me laugh. 

As i understand it......they have not made funding offers, and that means that people wont be able to decide until April and thats when they will be able to take in new people. BUt what i don't really understand is ....why take people off the wait-list if they don't know what willl happen until later...  i dont get it.

HAHAHAHAHH :))))) 

Thank you for making me laugh. 

As i understand it......they have not made funding offers, and that means that people wont be able to decide until April and thats when they will be able to take in new people. BUt what i don't really understand is ....why take people off the wait-list if they don't know what willl happen until later...  i dont get it.

you got it  B)

But on the real, I'm not excited about this whole April business.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to try again. No need to ruin my nails over this! But really, today I'm going to apply for an internship for the summer so I can start looking for jobs in the fall. Gotta keep this wheel moving no matter what!

Well, I'm going to apply at LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) for Registration and Collections Management. It's unpaid, like everything else, but it's a practical skill that I've already started building. Gotta be practical, right??

well good luck with that!!! it sounds fascinating though. I dont have a back up plan and there is no ....museum like this around here ...I have also striked bad luck in the excavations department in turkey because most projects are not happening ORRR i missed the deadline.... So, i have lost hope for the waitlist ...its probably the first choice for most people who applied and got accepted there . do you think you will apply again next year to cotsen? 

I honestly don't know if I will reapply next year. Unless I am able to really add to my resume and application then I don't think I will. No sense in sending the same stuff in that got me on the wait list, I need to be able to show something that will get me chosen right away! I am not entirely sure how to do that at this point. It's possible that I will take a language course over the summer or work to submit something to a conference. In that case I would reapply. I might also retake the GRE and I will be finished with my master's degree at that point. So, maybe? Or I might say "f it"and just go travel for a couple months!