Cotsen Institute of Archaeology- UCLA applicants

Daisy123

i cant believe they are not answering your emails! i also emailed my POI and i told her again that i am still interested, thank you, and just like you all, NO ANsWER!!! WHAT THE HELL!!! i cant buy tickets to BG this summer because of this, and every day i wait the price goes up and up and up cuz these things fill up months in advance

I meant to respond to this earlier...

UCLA was on spring break last week. Professors have been very busy the last two weeks with the flurry of activity that comes at the end of the quarter - making exams, finishing grading, finalizing their teaching plans for spring, etc. This week is the first week of spring classes, and that is a very hectic time as well. Professors are busy people. It doesn't help that major conferences like the SAA, ARCE, AAPA, etc. are right around the corner. 

As for your last question, I doubt many people have a clear first choice and decide right away. Choosing a graduate program is a very serious thing, and one should take one's time doing so, as annoying as it may be to others. Some people are still visiting their choices and deciding between them. Other students may be waiting to hear back from the waitlist of *their* top choices; it is often a domino effect. 

Edited by aarch

thank you for your response, it is good to know that we are not forgotten.  I am starting to think that i am putting too much hope on this waitlist because i dont think too many people will reject this school and enroll elsewhere. If something free's up it will probably be a space or two..and i dont even know how many people can be on the wait list. 

Thank you for your perspective and thoughts, aarch! I know making this choice is a biggie for all the applicants and I would also be taking my time to make sure I was making the best possible decision for myself. We will all hear soon enough and, hopefully, we will like what we hear! 

Daisy, don't lose too much hope. I know I mentioned it before but I know a person (in real life!!) that was accepted to this very program from the wait list in the past. I also know two other people that have been accepted to programs at UCLA from their respective wait lists. It does happen. In the meantime, let's not give ourselves ulcers worrying about it ;) 

when will we know??? has anybody called recently? I e-mailed with no response last week.  I'm really close to accepting another offer but I just want to weigh all my options.

Screencheck, I emailed last week as well and I have heard nothing. The person I emailed is usually very quick with responses so I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that she knows the answer to my questions but has been asked to withhold for whatever reason. I'm assuming that they have a date picked to let everyone know at the same time, but as the months tick by I am already trying to make new plans for fall. I will let you know if I hear anything. 

when will we know??? has anybody called recently? I e-mailed with no response last week.  I'm really close to accepting another offer but I just want to weigh all my options.

Congratulations on you offer by the way! I am sure you will be happy whatever happens at this point. 

9 students were invited to the prospective students week. 

About 6 students enroll each year. Given that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the invited students will enroll, I wouldn't get my hopes up as a waitlisted applicant. I think few (if any) of the most selective archaeology programs have to resort to the waitlist very often. 

As I suspected, virtually everyone who received a funded offer accepted. I don't think anyone will be accepted from the waitlist. 

As I suspected, virtually everyone who received a funded offer accepted. I don't think anyone will be accepted from the waitlist. 

Thanks for the info aarch! Any idea how many people accepted?

It does make one wonder why they keep such long waitlists! 

Hello everyone, this is my first contribution to the feed, although I have been following for quite some time. I am also on the wait list for the program. Although our chances of getting in are seemingly grim, I wanted to congratulate everyone for having the drive and passion to throw our hats in the ring and pursue archaeology.

I would like to point out that graduate students throughout the UC system are in the middle of a major strike, so that may have something to do with the lack of response to applicants. This last week was particularly crazy with the arrests made at UC Santa Cruz and the storming of classes at UC San Diego. Hopefully we will hear SOMETHING soon. This is also my top choice because of the Andeanists and Near Eastern scholars, but I am getting close to accepting somewhere else because it's getting too close to the deadline.

I know there were some strikes at UCI (my alma mater) but I only heard about it once and it was from a politically active and left-leaning sociology grad student. Nothing ended up in the news down here. I'm curious about what they are striking over. Displeasure at the student level might make a rejection from UCLA a blessing in disguise! Anyway, I'm hoping UCLA at least cuts is loose soon. I do know someone that got into Cotsen from the waitlist, but perhaps that was an anomaly.

From what I saw, stipends and such. There were numerous signs around campus talking about having a football coach that gets paid millions and not having enough stipend money to lure top notch grad students from other institutions. Money is a huge reason for the strikes. Although my TA was available Thursday, which was the strike day, I'm unclear if it affected all departments. I'm not sure what all the issues are about though either. But yeah, I know stipend money was big. 

oh noooo. ...its alll bad news then. I dont know why, its not like i didnt expect it, but i feel so totally crushed allll over again! i was secretly hoping for a miracle to happen at least ONE time i guess

Forsaken, I can't say I blame them. A low ass stipend in an expensive city coupled with seeing the amount of money that goes into sports at these universities...I'd be pissed too! UCI has no football team though so I'm curious what their beef is. I guess it's time to really push my Plan B or make changes to next seasons application!

Got my rejection notice just now. Once again I didn't shed a tear! No use crying over this stuff. I might reapply next year and I'd love to have some feedback on my SOPs and CV in the future if anyone wants to keep in touch.