CSULB MSW

tiennnthai

I submitted mine Jan 23, late I know lol and I just received an email saying my application is missing a transcript :/ uh oh. Now it's gonna take two weeks just to get my transcript copied by enrollment services.

You are ahead of the game tiennthai :) hope u hear from them soon! Did u get your confirmation email that they received your app?

I submitted mine Jan 23, late I know lol and I just received an email saying my application is missing a transcript :/ uh oh. Now it's gonna take two weeks just to get my transcript copied by enrollment services.

You are ahead of the game tiennthai :) hope u hear from them soon! Did u get your confirmation email that they received your app?

I know... the process is so slow. Everything they receive takes weeks to process. Some of my friends who have applied to LB's MSW have been emailed a "pending" status. I have gotten a confirmation email already about my app being received and I continue to check my status on a daily basis but no luck.

I submitted mine on Friday and got the confirmation e-mail a couple of hours later.

And Ardnas058, yea all my reference forms included. Did any of your LoR submit a letter as well?

Edited by lucyyy19

For the resume portion of the application, did you guys include the hours put into each job? My friend told me I should have done that but I didn't. I don't think that's necessary. And how are your experiences? I'm curious as to how much experience they want us to have...

I submitted mine on Friday and got the confirmation e-mail a couple of hours later.

And Ardnas058, yea all my reference forms included. Did any of your LoR submit a letter as well?

One of them attached a letter to the form. I received an email, but because I didn't include all ref forms, the email stated that they won't review my app until all forms are in.

For the resume portion of the application, did you guys include the hours put into each job? My friend told me I should have done that but I didn't. I don't think that's necessary. And how are your experiences? I'm curious as to how much experience they want us to have...

I attended an info session...They asked that we state whether each job was part or full-time. So, I added that on my resume. I don't recall if they mentioned how many years of work experience they look for, but they did stress wrk experience. I have a total of 5 years in counseling and case management w/in MH.

And for experience. I don't have much in social services but I have been working in a low income middle school for 5 years. Helping children who have emotional, behavioral and academic challenges. And I currently started volunteering at a social service agency. Ahhhh this is nerve wrecking. I hope my experience is some what good. :/

And for experience. I don't have much in social services but I have been working in a low income middle school for 5 years. Helping children who have emotional, behavioral and academic challenges. And I currently started volunteering at a social service agency. Ahhhh this is nerve wrecking. I hope my experience is some what good. :/

I think that is acceptable! I have worked in 8 schools within two districts and my ultimate goal in social work is to work in schools anyway so USC really liked that. I am hoping CSULB will see that, too. I think with MSW programs, it is more about experience and how much you're going to contribute to their program based on that experience or interests rather than your gpa. I was accepted into USC with only a 3.2! I was shocked but ecstatic nonetheless. I think my experience may have helped me out on that one.

I attended an info session...They asked that we state whether each job was part or full-time. So, I added that on my resume. I don't recall if they mentioned how many years of work experience they look for, but they did stress wrk experience. I have a total of 5 years in counseling and case management w/in MH.

What counseling did you do? I want to become a high school counselor after I get my MSW! I am also a case manager right now at a continuation high school, working with truant students. 

I think that is acceptable! I have worked in 8 schools within two districts and my ultimate goal in social work is to work in schools anyway so USC really liked that. I am hoping CSULB will see that, too. I think with MSW programs, it is more about experience and how much you're going to contribute to their program based on that experience or interests rather than your gpa. I was accepted into USC with only a 3.2! I was shocked but ecstatic nonetheless. I think my experience may have helped me out on that one.

Thank you for that! I really hope so. I started my application for USC but the price tag is the only thing holding me back a bit :( I am thinking of just applying and then seeing what they offer. I am also hoping CSULB takes that into consideration. My GPA is a 3.5 but I got my BA in Liberal Studies so idk if that will affect my chances.

When did you submit your CSULB app?

Thank you for that! I really hope so. I started my application for USC but the price tag is the only thing holding me back a bit :( I am thinking of just applying and then seeing what they offer. I am also hoping CSULB takes that into consideration. My GPA is a 3.5 but I got my BA in Liberal Studies so idk if that will affect my chances.

When did you submit your CSULB app?

My BA is in Sociology with a minor in Psychology so I think you're good there. 3.5 is a great GPA! I submitted my app in early December. Have you submitted?

My BA is in Sociology with a minor in Psychology so I think you're good there. 3.5 is a great GPA! I submitted my app in early December. Have you submitted?

Okay awesome. Thanks! I mean it was my upper division GPA, which they asked for. I think...lol. I submitted mine a week ago. I wonder when they will start to send out e-mails...or ANYTHING!

Did u apply anywhere else?

Yes, I applied to USC and CSUF. My first choice used to be USC until I found out it was ridiculously expensive. My first choice is now CSULB. I went there for my undergrad and it is a great campus. I would love to be back. LB sent me an email on December 16 saying they received my application and a link to check the status of my application. So far, no answer yet  :(

January 24, wish I could have submitted earlier but had to wait for letters of recommendation. I asked the chair from my department who was also my professor, he went on Winter break so it took a bit longer.

I applied in the last week of December. February 5th I received an email saying my application is in pending status. I am very frustrated because last year I was rejected! I will not give up. CSULB is my number one choice. My problem is I am a business management major with five years of healthcare industry experience primarily with older adults. However, CSULB said undergrad major does not matter. The reason I was rejected is because my resume was not reading "Social Work." The second time around my application was simply amazing. I had my PS proofread by three different ENGLISH majors. My recommendations were from a Director at a hospital, a MFT and a my undergraduate professor who truly believes I can be an amazing social worker. 

I also applied to USC (too expensive, but hey it's USC) and CSUN (I went there for undergrad, I don't mind going again, since their social work program is very similar to CSULB).

Please share your application status and/or suggestions. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :D