CSULB MSW

tiennnthai

I applied in the last week of December. February 5th I received an email saying my application is in pending status. I am very frustrated because last year I was rejected! I will not give up. CSULB is my number one choice. My problem is I am a business management major with five years of healthcare industry experience primarily with older adults. However, CSULB said undergrad major does not matter. The reason I was rejected is because my resume was not reading "Social Work." The second time around my application was simply amazing. I had my PS proofread by three different ENGLISH majors. My recommendations were from a Director at a hospital, a MFT and a my undergraduate professor who truly believes I can be an amazing social worker. 

I also applied to USC (too expensive, but hey it's USC) and CSUN (I went there for undergrad, I don't mind going again, since their social work program is very similar to CSULB).

Please share your application status and/or suggestions. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :D

I applied January 24 and now I am more worried. I haven't received anything since the confirmation e-mail that they received my application. :( It is my first choice but I hear how difficult it is! What was your application status last year? GPA? Experience?

I applied to UCLA near deadline and CSULB. Turning in USC today, I wasn't going to apply because the price tag is just TOO much but I am just going to give it a shot.

Last year I applied to CSULB and ONLY CSULB because I though "eh it's a Cal-State why wouldn't I get accepted?" Boy did I get slapped across the face when I was rejected immediately thru email. My GPA was 3.4 and my experience was just 3 years as medical assistant for older adults. When I decided to re-apply I made sure I consult with CSULB on how to strengthen my application. So I did. I even got a new position at a hospital working with LMSWs and physicians. Moreover, I decided at a facility for violence intervention. I planned my second time around well in advance. I really want to go to CSULB because they have a high ranked program.

I feel the same about USC. That price tag gives me a heart attack. But hey if I get into USC and not CSULB I'll be okay.

Don't worry about turning in your applications late. Looks like CSULB doesn't care for any of that. I mean I applied back in December and my app. is in pending status. Meaning they are giving other well qualified applicants the chance... It's frustrating <_<

Last year I applied to CSULB and ONLY CSULB because I though "eh it's a Cal-State why wouldn't I get accepted?" Boy did I get slapped across the face when I was rejected immediately thru email. My GPA was 3.4 and my experience was just 3 years as medical assistant for older adults. When I decided to re-apply I made sure I consult with CSULB on how to strengthen my application. So I did. I even got a new position at a hospital working with LMSWs and physicians. Moreover, I decided at a facility for violence intervention. I planned my second time around well in advance. I really want to go to CSULB because they have a high ranked program.

I feel the same about USC. That price tag gives me a heart attack. But hey if I get into USC and not CSULB I'll be okay.

Don't worry about turning in your applications late. Looks like CSULB doesn't care for any of that. I mean I applied back in December and my app. is in pending status. Meaning they are giving other well qualified applicants the chance... It's frustrating <_<

I applied January 24 and now I am more worried. I haven't received anything since the confirmation e-mail that they received my application.  :( It is my first choice but I hear how difficult it is! What was your application status last year? GPA? Experience?

I applied to UCLA near deadline and CSULB. Turning in USC today, I wasn't going to apply because the price tag is just TOO much but I am just going to give it a shot.

Last year I applied to CSULB and ONLY CSULB because I thought "eh it's a Cal-State why wouldn't I get accepted?" Boy did I get slapped across the face when I was rejected immediately thru email. My GPA was 3.4 and my experience was just 3 years as medical assistant for older adults. When I decided to re-apply I made sure I consult with CSULB on how to strengthen my application. So I did. I even got a new position at a hospital working with LMSWs and physicians. Moreover, I decided at a facility for violence intervention. I planned my second time around well in advance. I really want to go to CSULB because they have a high ranked program.

Last year I applied to CSULB and ONLY CSULB because I thought "eh it's a Cal-State why wouldn't I get accepted?" Boy did I get slapped across the face when I was rejected immediately thru email. My GPA was 3.4 and my experience was just 3 years as medical assistant for older adults. When I decided to re-apply I made sure I consult with CSULB on how to strengthen my application. So I did. I even got a new position at a hospital working with LMSWs and physicians. Moreover, I decided at a facility for violence intervention. I planned my second time around well in advance. I really want to go to CSULB because they have a high ranked program.

I am in the same page! I really really REALLY want to go CSULB. It is a great program, 15 minutes away from home, and the price tag is amazing compared to USC. But your right, USC is USC lol When did you submit ur application to USC?

I applied with a 3.5 upper division GPA, 5 years of experience at a low-income middle school, dealing with students who have academic and behavioral problems. I recently started volunteering at a child abuse prevention non-profit, started in January but I still included in resume. My goal is to work at a school, as a PSW so i hope CSULB see's that as sufficient experience.

I also heard that personal experience is also taken into consideration, I really hope so!

Same here, last year when I applied I only applied to Long beach. Last year I turned in my CSULB app on the deadline feb 15, received a confirmation email 5 weeks later, and my admission decision of "pending admission" meaning "wait list" in end of April. After waiting months & months, in late JULY, I finally was offered a spot in a different concentration than my first choice, so I declined the offer and decided to reapply next year again. They seem to way heavily on direct social work experience. Although CSULB was my first choice last year, it fell to my 3rd choice this year. As the faculty said in the info session, this year we don't choose a concentration until we start the program & even then, we aren't guaranteed a spot in our first choice concentration. Personally, that's kinda scary to me! She also admitted things might be rocky & disorganized since they changed all the courses around, etc & this is the first year they are doing this new model.. But yes, the CSULB program has been around for a long time and does have a great reputation!
I turned in my long beach app on Jan 21, and received a confirmation email on Feb 5... I don't expect to hear my admission decision until later, I'm guessing at least end of April or even early May.. Don't fret if you aren't receiving an email back yet, that's normal! :)

To be honest I really don't know how CSULB makes their admission decisions. When talking to admissions last year about how to improve my application, they said my Personal Statement was good, my gpa was above average, my letters of rec were good, but my experience (resume) was lacking. I only had 4 months of experience working in a non-profit organization that focuses on risk-youth as a research assistant. Since all the other aspects of my application were great, I definitely think they weigh heavily on direct social work experience... Same with CSULA. I asked in the info session how many years of social work experience to be considered a "highly ranked candidate" and they said 5 years :/

Edited by chba03

@chloeMSW - When did you apply to CSUN? That's my first choice! I'm getting a great vibe from their program, students, and faculty. At the info session, it was very welcoming, accommodating, and promising. I even contacted one of the faculty members later and she agreed to meet to talk more about the program. I've also met three current CSUN MSW students at the organization that I volunteer at, and they all have said amazing, positive things about the program and the teachers! I can feel the passion!

Edited by MSW03

@chloeMSW - When did you apply to CSUN? That's my first choice! I'm getting a great vibe from their program, students, and faculty. At the info session, it was very welcoming, accommodating, and promising. I even contacted one of the faculty members later and she agreed to meet to talk more about the program. I've also met three current CSUN MSW students at the organization that I volunteer at, and they all have said amazing, positive things about the program and the teachers! I can feel the passion!

Hello! Thank you for the CSULB feedback. Hmmm that's so interesting...basically you're not guaranteed your choice of program until you start? My first choice at CSULB is the 3yr program with the older adults concentration.

I applied to CSUN December 23rd. I received a confirmation stating my app. is complete on Jan 9. We should hear back from CSUN no later than May 15. I don't mind going to CSUN because I graduated from there. So I am familiar with the campus. I just think if I am going to graduate school I want to make sure the program offered is well-established and advanced.

Definitely CSULB has been around the longest, and the sheer magnitude of ppl who apply is amazing. Everyone here turned in their apps & received a confirmation email so that's really great! I'm sure we'll hear soon :) the admissions staff told me about 10 weeks after you receive the confirmation email we will hear a decision. Hang in there every one! :)

Edited by MSW03

Hey I'm still working on the last vestiges of this CSULB essay, hope I'm not too bad. Considering I applied to SDSU, CSUC, CSULA, UCLA, and CSUF all in preparation, I think I have had good reason to be where I am now with this essay. 

Does anyone have any tips about the last question for the personal statement? I'm considering mentioning a scholarship I received based on academic merit and volunteer work I did for my LGBT service organization, but don't know if that is something that is very important.  I don't believe either that I need to mention any academic challenges either, as my GPA was a 3.32 ( I know pretty average). 

We'll see if anyone has any pointers. 

So when I began my application back in October, my first choice was USC. However, I only jumped to that conclusion because it is a prestigious school and ranked 11 in the US News. I was ecstatic when I was accepted only a month after applying! I felt on top of the world and thought, "If I got into USC, I can get into anywhere else I want!" One of my classmate's dream is to get into USC and we were applying to the exact programs at the exact schools. When I got my letter, I for sure thought that she would be accepted soon after. I was wrong. She did not apply too long after me (I applied early October) and has yet to hear from them. She has also been put on the pending list for CSULB when that was her very last choice. I know she'll make it in all of her programs soon enough!

For MSW programs, your resume and experience is crucial. And that's where I got lucky. Since 18, and now 22, I have worked at a total of 10 schools now. When I talk to admission counselors, they are very impressed with my experience and less about my grades. In my entire 4 years of undergrad, I got a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.4 upper division, not a GPA you'd expect for USC, right? Or any school for the matter. But if your passion and commitment is in one specific area, I am sure you have a higher chance of being admitted than a 4.0 scholar with zero experience in the field. It's sorta like you already know what you're dealing with instead of jumping into a brand new situation.

I have talked to several mentors in the educational field who have told me to go to a state school. As you may have heard, all MSW schools must be accredited. The MSW professors I have talked to, some who went to USC, has advised me to go anywhere that I can afford because it's what you put in the program that will get you far in your career, not where you go. Many employees will ask more about your experience than where you got your degree from. So think twice before you're willing to be in debt 90 grand. A teacher I worked with told me that that money should be the down on my future house and also could buy me 3 cars. Well.... that definitely got me thinking!

Edited by tiennnthai

So when I began my application back in October, my first choice was USC. However, I only jumped to that conclusion because it is a prestigious school and ranked 11 in the US News. I was ecstatic when I was accepted only a month after applying! I felt on top of the world and thought, "If I got into USC, I can get into anywhere else I want!" One of my classmate's dream is to get into USC and we were applying to the exact programs at the exact schools. When I got my letter, I for sure thought that she would be accepted soon after. I was wrong. She did not apply too long after me (I applied early October) and has yet to hear from them. She has also been put on the pending list for CSULB when that was her very last choice. I know she'll make it in all of her programs soon enough!

For MSW programs, your resume and experience is crucial. And that's where I got lucky. Since 18, and now 22, I have worked at a total of 10 schools now. When I talk to admission counselors, they are very impressed with my experience and less about my grades. In my entire 4 years of undergrad, I got a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.4 upper division, not a GPA you'd expect for USC, right? Or any school for the matter. But if your passion and commitment is in one specific area, I am sure you have a higher chance of being admitted than a 4.0 scholar with zero experience in the field. It's sorta like you already know what you're dealing with instead of jumping into a brand new situation.

I have talked to several mentors in the educational field who have told me to go to a state school. As you may have heard, all MSW schools must be accredited. The MSW professors I have talked to, some who went to USC, has advised me to go anywhere that I can afford because it's what you put in the program that will get you far in your career, not where you go. Many employees will ask more about your experience than where you got your degree from. So think twice before you're willing to be in debt 90 grand. A teacher I worked with told me that that money should be the down on my future house and also could buy me 3 cars. Well.... that definitely got me thinking!

I really appreciate this feedback!

Just received a second email from CSULB stating that my application was sent for a final departmental review. OMG I don't know what to think now lol. Does this mean it is no longer pending status??

Edited by ChloeMSW

Just received a second email from CSULB stating that my application was sent for a final departmental review. OMG I don't know what to think now lol. Does this mean it is no longer pending status??

I just received the same email! I wasn't really sure what it meant because after my confirmation email I hadn't heard from them. Maybe it means they're gonna make a decision soon?

I just got the same email! I refreshed my emails and it came out. That it was sent to graduate department for final review. Idk what this means!

I wasn't expecting this email. I thought I would just get a final email with the admission decision... hmmm....

Hello there,

Has anyone heard from LB yet? They're on a rolling admissions and I'm so anxious for an answer!

Did you hear anything yet? @lucyyy19 and myself received a second email stating our app. has gone to the final departmental review. We were on pending status...