CSULB MSW

tiennnthai

When did you guys who received any decision (accepted, rejected, pending, or waitlisted) get the email that your app was forwarded to the department? I applied early but had a few things missing. I hoping that's why I haven't received anything yet..

I believe they don't even begin to review your application until it is considered 'complete'. Since you had a few things missing, it probably didn't get reviewed until after you turned in all your missing items. I would follow up, just to be sure. 

Hey everyone! Just letting ya'll know I'm on the same boat regarding the dreaded "pending status". I turned in my application early November and received an email saying I was put on pending status around Jan 8th! So I can definitely understand everyone's frustration. I attended csulb for my undergrad and didn't realize they were so competitive.

I was wondering if anyone who was put on pending status has received admission/rejection yet? Or if they have an idea of how many people are put on that list.

Hi Guys, I applied on Feb 14th to the 3 year program. I have not heard anything at all except that they received my application and it's in review. I know there are people who applied at the same time but have already heard back of either being accepted, rejected or on pending.

Is anyone else in the same boat? or does anyone else know if they send out decisions separately or differently for people who applied for the 3-year program instead of the 2-year program?

Please let me know! Thank you!

I spoke to someone in admissions today who said that they'll be sending out responses in May. I don't remember the exact date when I submitted my application, but it was some time towards the end of January....and haven't received anything since receiving the confirmaiton that my application was received by the MSW department.

Hi Guys, I applied on Feb 14th to the 3 year program. I have not heard anything at all except that they received my application and it's in review. I know there are people who applied at the same time but have already heard back of either being accepted, rejected or on pending.

Is anyone else in the same boat? or does anyone else know if they send out decisions separately or differently for people who applied for the 3-year program instead of the 2-year program?

Please let me know! Thank you!

Not sure if this helps but I know if the spaces are full for one program they will offer you the other one. Like if you apply for 2 year and spaces are full they will offer you 3 year if they want you. That's what happened to my friend last year.

So when I began my application back in October, my first choice was USC. However, I only jumped to that conclusion because it is a prestigious school and ranked 11 in the US News. I was ecstatic when I was accepted only a month after applying! I felt on top of the world and thought, "If I got into USC, I can get into anywhere else I want!" One of my classmate's dream is to get into USC and we were applying to the exact programs at the exact schools. When I got my letter, I for sure thought that she would be accepted soon after. I was wrong. She did not apply too long after me (I applied early October) and has yet to hear from them. She has also been put on the pending list for CSULB when that was her very last choice. I know she'll make it in all of her programs soon enough!

For MSW programs, your resume and experience is crucial. And that's where I got lucky. Since 18, and now 22, I have worked at a total of 10 schools now. When I talk to admission counselors, they are very impressed with my experience and less about my grades. In my entire 4 years of undergrad, I got a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.4 upper division, not a GPA you'd expect for USC, right? Or any school for the matter. But if your passion and commitment is in one specific area, I am sure you have a higher chance of being admitted than a 4.0 scholar with zero experience in the field. It's sorta like you already know what you're dealing with instead of jumping into a brand new situation.

I have talked to several mentors in the educational field who have told me to go to a state school. As you may have heard, all MSW schools must be accredited. The MSW professors I have talked to, some who went to USC, has advised me to go anywhere that I can afford because it's what you put in the program that will get you far in your career, not where you go. Many employees will ask more about your experience than where you got your degree from. So think twice before you're willing to be in debt 90 grand. A teacher I worked with told me that that money should be the down on my future house and also could buy me 3 cars. Well.... that definitely got me thinking!

So when I began my application back in October, my first choice was USC. However, I only jumped to that conclusion because it is a prestigious school and ranked 11 in the US News. I was ecstatic when I was accepted only a month after applying! I felt on top of the world and thought, "If I got into USC, I can get into anywhere else I want!" One of my classmate's dream is to get into USC and we were applying to the exact programs at the exact schools. When I got my letter, I for sure thought that she would be accepted soon after. I was wrong. She did not apply too long after me (I applied early October) and has yet to hear from them. She has also been put on the pending list for CSULB when that was her very last choice. I know she'll make it in all of her programs soon enough!

For MSW programs, your resume and experience is crucial. And that's where I got lucky. Since 18, and now 22, I have worked at a total of 10 schools now. When I talk to admission counselors, they are very impressed with my experience and less about my grades. In my entire 4 years of undergrad, I got a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.4 upper division, not a GPA you'd expect for USC, right? Or any school for the matter. But if your passion and commitment is in one specific area, I am sure you have a higher chance of being admitted than a 4.0 scholar with zero experience in the field. It's sorta like you already know what you're dealing with instead of jumping into a brand new situation.

I have talked to several mentors in the educational field who have told me to go to a state school. As you may have heard, all MSW schools must be accredited. The MSW professors I have talked to, some who went to USC, has advised me to go anywhere that I can afford because it's what you put in the program that will get you far in your career, not where you go. Many employees will ask more about your experience than where you got your degree from. So think twice before you're willing to be in debt 90 grand. A teacher I worked with told me that that money should be the down on my future house and also could buy me 3 cars. Well.... that definitely got me thinking!

hi

Who were your letters of recommendation from? what type of professors?

where was your volunteer and work experience done?

How many years did you have listed and what type of work did you do?

I just got an email from the admission committee that I have been accepted into their 2 year program! I remember I sent in my application literally right before the due date, just FYI! 

My letter of recs were from my research professor at CSULB, a teacher from LBUSD, and a teacher/ program coordinator at GGUSD. I've done volunteer work with the Truancy Reduction Center (about 120 hours), working with students who are truant in school, meeting with them and the parent to figure out what's going on and provide counseling. All of my work experiences has involved kids from pk-k12. I have nine jobs on my resume as of right now because I couldn't fit in any more than that. I've had different positions in different school districts, either working as an interpreter, a college aide, or as a tutor. I am also leading a research right now at CSULB with one of my professors, a study on intimate partner violence amongst asian and latino cultures. 

I just got an email from the admission committee that I have been accepted into their 2 year program! I remember I sent in my application literally right before the due date, just FYI!

Hey Amina. Congratulations!!!!

Where u ever put on pending status?

Once again, congrats!

congrats! thats awesome... your application but have been amazing any tips or pointers?

My letter of recs were from my research professor at CSULB, a teacher from LBUSD, and a teacher/ program coordinator at GGUSD. I've done volunteer work with the Truancy Reduction Center (about 120 hours), working with students who are truant in school, meeting with them and the parent to figure out what's going on and provide counseling. All of my work experiences has involved kids from pk-k12. I have nine jobs on my resume as of right now because I couldn't fit in any more than that. I've had different positions in different school districts, either working as an interpreter, a college aide, or as a tutor. I am also leading a research right now at CSULB with one of my professors, a study on intimate partner violence amongst asian and latino cultures. 

wow thats awesome!!! i admire all your experience

Hey Amina. Congratulations!!!!

Where u ever put on pending status?

Once again, congrats!

Thank you!!!!

I was never on pending status. But about a month ago I did get an email saying that my application had officially went through to the admission committee, meaning my application was complete and sent to be reviewed. Weird that it took THAT long to get that kind of an email, but getting that email is better than nothing. Other than that, I was constantly checking the status through the online process where they email you your application status, and it had always been "it is being reviewed".

congrats! thats awesome... your application but have been amazing any tips or pointers?

Thank you :)

What I did that I found helpful was attending an information meeting and really getting a good grasp of the mission statement of the program and school, and incorporating that into my essays. Other than that, work experience is what I'm sure supported my application. It doesn't hurt to contact the program committee to see where they currently are with the admission process too I would think. Good luck to you all!

I was accepted to CSULB. I received an acceptance email earlier today! For those that are on pending status, my spot will open up since I have already decided on another school. Good luck to all still waiting! LB took waaaaay tooo long!

Hearing through the grapevine, someone I know was also accepted to CSULB today. From what I heard from his stats, he had a high G.P.A. with only volunteer experience. I'm still here waiting to hear a response. I applied almost at the deadline in February. 

Edited by TallGuy

I was accepted to CSULB. I received an acceptance email earlier today! For those that are on pending status, my spot will open up since I have already decided on another school. Good luck to all still waiting! LB took waaaaay tooo long!

Congrats Ardnas058! Can you share when you applied and maybe some of your stats? I applied right before the deadline and have not heard anything except that my application was complete and that it is under review. I have not been put on pending or anything at all. I am hoping to hear soon but I am going crazy! :-( Please let me know when you applied and any other information you may have.

Thanks and congrats!

Congrats Ardnas058! Can you share when you applied and maybe some of your stats? I applied right before the deadline and have not heard anything except that my application was complete and that it is under review. I have not been put on pending or anything at all. I am hoping to hear soon but I am going crazy! :-( Please let me know when you applied and any other information you may have.

Thanks and congrats!

Thanks! I submitted my app the 27th of Jan. I hadn't heard anything since receiving an email confirming that they received my app. My undergrad gpa was 3.4. My rec'drs consisted of my current supervisor (an LCSW), my former supervisor (former manager of a counseling department), and finally my former professor who I helped with a research project during undergrad. I have about 4-5 years of work experience as a T.A., school counselor, and as a case manager (mental health). Best of luck!

I wish you all the best of luck!!!! I think it is horrible that CSULB has taken so long to finalize their responses. I know they had a good program (in the past, not sure how their new curriculum will turn out), I also understand that they informed us during the info session that they would take long to review applications submitted closer to the deadline, but I can't help but imagine how nerve-wrecking it's been for all of you who continue to wait on LB.

On a better note, I am glad that my spot will be available for one of you =).

FYI, they are hosting an orientation tomorrow, but no worries, they will host a second orientation (sometime in July) for those of you who are accepted after Sat. Anyhow, best of luck! :-)

Edited by Ardnas058

Thanks! I submitted my app the 27th of Jan. I hadn't heard anything since receiving an email confirming that they received my app. My undergrad gpa was 3.4. My rec'drs consisted of my current supervisor (an LCSW), my former supervisor (former manager of a counseling department), and finally my former professor who I helped with a research project during undergrad. I have about 4-5 years of work experience as a T.A., school counselor, and as a case manager (mental health). Best of luck!

this was very helpful... thanks for sharing

wow thats amazing... i definitely need more work experience