PhD in Mechanical Engineering Fall 2014

jkred

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say I officially accepted Berkeley's offer and will be attending in the Fall, super excited! Did anyone else official accept yet? If so, where are you guys going?

I'm still waiting to hear from Berkeley, although I highly doubt I'll be accepted with funding at this point. Assuming I do get rejected from Berkeley, I'll accept my Stanford offer.

I'm still waiting to hear from Berkeley, although I highly doubt I'll be accepted with funding at this point. Assuming I do get rejected from Berkeley, I'll accept my Stanford offer.

Good luck on your decision! If you do get an offer from Berkeley will you be attending there for sure? I just sent in my acceptance this morning to the dept. at Stanford. Have to wait 24 hours until I can do so for the graduate school officially, though.

Gents. Thanks for all the info/posts. Wanted to get some general opinions about 3 schools- Northwestern, Columbia, and UCLA. All Tier 2 (sadly, no Stanford for me...), but having much difficulty deciding! Any thoughts? Best of luck to you all, and thanks for the info!

Brewcrew

Gents. Thanks for all the info/posts. Wanted to get some general opinions about 3 schools- Northwestern, Columbia, and UCLA. All Tier 2 (sadly, no Stanford for me...), but having much difficulty deciding! Any thoughts? Best of luck to you all, and thanks for the info!

Brewcrew

Honestly I was accepted to all 3 and I'd have to say it's a close call between UCLA and NU. The issue is funding at NU was much higher than UCLA. Assuming there's interesting research at both that might make the decision easier. Best of luck and if you have any questions please let me know.

I can't exactly give you an answer to your dilemma but I could share what I know in hopes it would help you.

I currently attend NU and would say that if you're willing to endure the winters, NU is a great place to be. I'm clearly tired of it though which is why I'm moving to California haha. But In my opinion NU is an underrated program that I believe is growing really rapidly and would be become big soon ( at least that's my hope). The location is also nice, Evanston is a nice town with lots of great food, and when you're tired of it, Chicago is super close. What professors are you interested in working with?

I also am from nyc so though I don't know much about Columbia besides it's ranking and rumors, I can tell you if nyc is a place to live. NYC is a pretty awesome place if you wanna be a place with lots of people and lots of stuff to do, nyc is the place to be. But the city can get overwhelming fast, and the cost of living is really high. It's still a great place to be during your twenties, so if that's important to you, go for it.

I was also accepted into ucla but didn't get a chance to visit, and they didn't seem to have tried very hard to recruit me so I have a bad impression of them but from what I understand, they're still one of the top research institution but they admit too many unfunded students. I've been to the town ucla is in and it's super nice, I could 5 years there.

Anyways! Good luck with your decision!

Is anyone here still wait to hear from Berkeley. I called yesterday and give them my name and was told my application is still under review. I'm really surprised they still are making decisions this close to the April 15th deadline.

Is anyone here still wait to hear from Berkeley. I called yesterday and give them my name and was told my application is still under review. I'm really surprised they still are making decisions this close to the April 15th deadline.

I got an email yesterday asking me to check my status - rejected.