Visits - What to wear?

Lina1504

I've seen varying opinions. I think it depends on the event. For example, are you just touring the campus and going to a pub Friday night? Might as well dress in your normal casual attire. Are you having faculty meetings and attending presentations? Maybe look a little more presentable. However, I don't think it's necessary to wear a suit at any point (unless it's for a fancy dinner). I don't know any professors at my school that wear suits, nor do the grad students. So I won't be either.

Just my 2 cents.

I second the business casual attire. Golden rule of blurry dress code: dress appropriately so people will think not of what you're wearing but of what you have to say. So going overboard with a suit or blazer is possible, and your holey labshirt will detract from you as well.

On a sidenote, I'm under 21-- will I be missing out on a significant portion of visit activities? :(

I second the business casual attire. Golden rule of blurry dress code: dress appropriately so people will think not of what you're wearing but of what you have to say. So going overboard with a suit or blazer is possible, and your holey labshirt will detract from you as well.

On a sidenote, I'm under 21-- will I be missing out on a significant portion of visit activities? :(

I don't know how much of a factor drinking plays in going to faculty lunches, but some places will offer alternatives for the underage and the teetotalers. Yale, for instance, offers bowling as an alternative to a bar-going event.

I usually wore khakis and a nice polo shirt, and I was more well dressed than most. There is always that one person who wears a suit; don't be that guy/gal. I imagine a nice shirt and jeans would be perfectly fine but something more business casual certainly wouldn't be out of place either.

Edited by Faraday

UC San Diego has pictures of last year's visitation weekend.  These might be helpful to get an idea of what to wear:

http://ucsdchemopportunities.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/visitation-weekend-photos-2013/

It looks like most people just wear normal clothes.  I think you would be fine with shirt + jeans, or a dress shirt at the most for meetings with faculty and poster presentations.

UC San Diego has pictures of last year's visitation weekend.  These might be helpful to get an idea of what to wear:

http://ucsdchemopportunities.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/visitation-weekend-photos-2013/

It looks like most people just wear normal clothes.  I think you would be fine with shirt + jeans, or a dress shirt at the most for meetings with faculty and poster presentations.

Everyone looked so happy in the pics ...should've gone to UCSD =.=

What about schools that you are interviewing at? I'm assuming a suit would be appropriate for that occasion?

I agree with Faraday. Personally, I'd wear a button up shirt, tie and slacks for an interview like that at most. It's chemistry, not law or business, and a suit isn't something you wouldn't ever wear in the lab, (not that you would wear the nicest clothes in a lab, but you wouldn't feel encumbered).