Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Without immersion:

-Children's books for miles! Not cheesy at all. Whatever can get you there -- and if you're a beginner the confidence boost can be necessary, and will come with easier material

- Anthologies of short stories with translation on the following page. (When I lived in Germany I tried to brush up on Spanish and learn German with such a reader -- wouldn't recommend this overly ambitious type of learning unless you are completely fluent in the first language, which I am not)

- MOVIES 

- MUSIC

- Friends you know that speak with native tongue, and won't berate you for your terrible accent and fumbled grammar. And find it amusing to teach you things

- Radio (if either your stream or live somewhere that has a local radio station of the language of choice)

What's worked best for me is working the language from a labor of love. For me this is reading poetry and short stories, watching movies, and hanging out with friends. German rap went a bit too fast for me... Plus the cultural knowledge in all of these activities is way more nuanced than any standard textbook or online program (which I wouldn't discount, however...Duolingo has taught me a thing or two along the way).

Let's hope for something on Friday! I feel like FSB might want to get something out by the end of the week. Then again, this is ALL IN MY HEAD.

In solidarity!

Edited by perfluidity

There's a "video game" (somewhat problematic to classify it as a game, but that's the best phrase I can think of) called Influent where you're put into an apartment and all the objects are labelled in a language of your choice, with something like 400+ words, including some adjectives and verbs. You make vocabulary lists and do little tests to master the vocabulary.

Jumping on the bandwagon here, definitely children's books, music, and movies help when immersion isn't possible.  Also: old fashioned flash cards, especially if you have to learn a different script!

Also, watching movies with subtitles in the foreign language you are studying really helps! You can easily identify words that you have seen before and really helps your brain to slow down what you're hearing.

Has anyone else applied and gotten accepted to jobs/masters programs/other options while waiting for the final decisions to come out? I have a response deadline coming up that I need to either accept/decline... and not sure we will have heard back by then! Any advice?

Your Fulbright proposal is related to language acquisition? That's awesome. Linguistics is an interest of mine, but something my school didn't offer, sadly. However, my proposal was related to sociolinguistics (don't know if we're allowed to talk about our proposals or not..)

Awesome! I don't know either! My school only offered 3 linguistics classes while I was there, but socio was one of them! Loved it! I got into the acquisition side separately, and have begun to pursue it a lot more since graduating a few years ago.  I'll send you a message sometime today and we can discuss projects!

It's quite possible that notifications for some countries have gone out, but we just don't have any recipients for those countries that participate in this thread.

True True

It's quite possible that notifications for some countries have gone out, but we just don't have any recipients for those countries that participate in this thread.

Could be, but it's interesting to note that we would have expected Ireland and Indonesia notifications by now based on last year. And it seems that we definitely have active Ireland and Indonesia applicants. Idk how the timeline changes from one year to the next - I'd imagine they'd have standardized it by now .... But then again, I did have a delayed interview!

I just found out that I was named as a Principle candidate to do public health research in Japan! My notification status was in the email heading (P). I'm so excited I can hardly type!!! :)

awesome. congratulations!!!!!

Could be, but it's interesting to note that we would have expected Ireland and Indonesia notifications by now based on last year. And it seems that we definitely have active Ireland and Indonesia applicants. Idk how the timeline changes from one year to the next - I'd imagine they'd have standardized it by now .... But then again, I did have a delayed interview!

Well, based on my contact with Fulbright Ireland, we're just waiting for the FSB. I was told they were meeting to make their decisions the third week of February.

I just found out that I was named as a Principle candidate to do public health research in Japan! My notification status was in the email heading (P). I'm so excited I can hardly type!!! :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! That is so exciting!!!!!!

This secretly gives me hope that research candidates for Germany will be notified soon. In previous years, it seems Germany and Japan both notified their research candidates around the same time.  If not today, I'm really hoping for next week. I don't think I can stand compulsively checking my e-mail for much longer!

Edited by psych_33

OMG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

I guess it's time for us all to just drop our expectations/predictions for notification dates based on past years... this is the earliest Japan has ever notified by like 3 weeks! And a bunch of others are way later than normal. So I guess it's all a mystery now and we can stop making guesses. Right?

Wrong. I'm still firmly believing I'll find out next Tuesday!