Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Got it!  I'm still just confused on the first number, though.  For example, in your case, does that mean only 7 people in the whole country applied for Moldova?  Or only 7 people made it through the first round of cuts?

I've been reading your blog BTW and it looks awesome!  I hope you have an amazing experience :)

Hi! Sorry to jump in.  Yes, as far as I am aware, that number indicates the number of total applicants.  So only 7 people in the entire United States applied to Moldova for the ETA position.  I also think it is really surprising that so few people applied for the position in Italy, seeing as the UK and other western European countries always have a ridiculously high number of applicants.  

Hi! Sorry to jump in.  Yes, as far as I am aware, that number indicates the number of total applicants.  So only 7 people in the entire United States applied to Moldova for the ETA position.  I also think it is really surprising that so few people applied for the position in Italy, seeing as the UK and other western European countries always have a ridiculously high number of applicants.  

Got it!! Thanks for helping out :)

How's everyone feeling?

Things were moving along smoothly till about a month ago, when I hit a pretty major bump in the road. The letter-writer I had in mind recently changed jobs and I'm having quite a time pinning her down. My research topic (Chinese contemporary art) is pretty niche; I started learning about it on my own in college after studying abroad in China, and did my undergrad thesis on it this past year. She was the director at the artist residency where I stayed to do my thesis research. I don't have many really strong ties in this area of expertise so she's my best bet. My FPA thinks I need at least one person in the field (the other two are China experts, but not Chinese art specifically) to validate the proposal. I doubt I'll have all three letters in time for my university's internal deadline (Sept. 16), unfortunately.

Would it be better to apply at-large or risk the campus interview committee taking off points for missing materials? Would that make it difficult to re-apply with my FPA next year if I choose to? If I don't make it this time, I may re-apply after grad school, when I'd have a much more time to develop solid relationships with experts in the field.

Edited by Oliebollen

What's up everyone,

I'm applying for an ETA in Taiwan, anyone else here doing/done the same? A few questions as well,

Can I have my Fulbright adviser also write a recommendation? They happen to be a family friend and know me pretty well, or is this something frowned upon by the application committee?

Also, is there anyone looking to swap statement drafts and give feedback? More eyes and opinions the better! 

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone. I'm really late in all of this and am JUST starting my application today. I am super excited about this opportunity! Any tips on those applying to an ETA in Greece? Are there regions/countries I should be looking at or do they vary depending on specific interests? 

Also, my GPA is not all that great (3.2) so I'm trying to figure out if my application/recommendation letters will be of any substantial help. I need all of the advice I can get!

:)

Welcome to the new folks! Good luck!

Couple of logistical questions about the application:

-How much should I worry about perfecting the short answers? Is it mostly for reference or will the committee actually use these to judge the application before reading the full essays?

-Should I put something in the comments box for "other foreign experience?" I don't know if anything needs to be clarified, since I was just studying abroad for one semester, but I wasn't sure if I should comment on how this would be beneficial to a Fulbright grant.

Edited by kmac11

Hi everyone. I'm really late in all of this and am JUST starting my application today. I am super excited about this opportunity! Any tips on those applying to an ETA in Greece? Are there regions/countries I should be looking at or do they vary depending on specific interests? 

Also, my GPA is not all that great (3.2) so I'm trying to figure out if my application/recommendation letters will be of any substantial help. I need all of the advice I can get!

Hey, I can't speak to the Greece ETA at all. In terms of picking a country your application will be stronger/easier to complete if you have a substantial connection or interest in the country of application. An interest in a specific aspect of that country can make you stand out, say going to Greece because you are a History major and are looking to go into the Greek History field. As for the GPA/Letters part, everything I've read or heard has basically said that the recommendations can make quite a difference and that it is usually best to have someone who a)writes well b)knows you well and can speak to you in an academic setting or a professional/teaching setting. 

Hope that helped at least a little bit

Good Luck! 

Hello, all!

I've just submitted all my application materials to my alma mater, and I've got an interview scheduled next week with the campus committee. Former or current applicants, do you have any specific interview advice? I've been told it is not adversarial by any means, and the committee truly wants the best for all applicants. It's hard to see it that way though, and my nerves are getting to me! 

I have really just been going over all my materials with respect to the Campus Committee Evaluation Form, as found on the Fulbright website.

Good luck to everyone going through interviews over the next few weeks!

(Oh, and are there any other applicants to Hungary? I haven't seen any on this thread yet!) 

Edited by baw-bee

Hello, all!

I've just submitted all my application materials to my alma mater, and I've got an interview scheduled next week with the campus committee. Former or current applicants, do you have any specific interview advice? I've been told it is not adversarial by any means, and the committee truly wants the best for all applicants. It's hard to see it that way though, and my nerves are getting to me! 

I have really just been going over all my materials with respect to the Campus Committee Evaluation Form, as found on the Fulbright website.

Good luck to everyone going through interviews over the next few weeks!

(Oh, and are there any other applicants to Hungary? I haven't seen any on this thread yet!) 

Hey!

I came across a prior Fulbright thread which may give you some help. (not my work, but kbui, who seems to be very active and knowledgeable on the forums.

Hope it helps!

Hello everyone! I just applied for a Fulbright Research Grant to Jordan for the 2015-2016 academic year. Very excited to see how that turns out.   :)

you turn it in by Aug 1...or you under another deadline

For those who are soon interviewing, here is the form that the FPAs at your school is required to fill out and upload into the system. The questions will most likely revolve around trying to answer these questions, so if you have the opportunity to interview with your campus make sure that at the end of the interview the FPAs have CLEAR answers to write down and send.

For those who are soon interviewing, here is the form that the FPAs at your school is required to fill out and upload into the system. The questions will most likely revolve around trying to answer these questions, so if you have the opportunity to interview with your campus make sure that at the end of the interview the FPAs have CLEAR answers to write down and send.

This is handy, thanks!

Will applying for a CLEA improve chances? I want to enroll in an intensive language program, but wondering whether it's frowned upon to NOT apply for a CLEA and do it here in the U.S?

Were you thinking about Middlebury, by any chance? My guess is that it doesn't matter to them as long as you've got the ability, but why not apply for a CLEA in addition to taking another class? If you're applying to China, I studied abroad on a program run by CET, which does two of the three Chinese CLEA programs, and their classes were excellent. More language classes are never a bad idea :)

Got it!  I'm still just confused on the first number, though.  For example, in your case, does that mean only 7 people in the whole country applied for Moldova?  Or only 7 people made it through the first round of cuts?

I've been reading your blog BTW and it looks awesome!  I hope you have an amazing experience :)

I've always assumed (as have other Fulbrighters I've talked to) that the first number refers to the number of people that have applied, and not who's made it past the first round. The reason being, that's why the first spreadsheets were created - to offer more concrete numbers. 

Thank you so much for the nice compliment on the blog! It's very sweet of you :)

Edited by Sine

How's everyone feeling?

Things were moving along smoothly till about a month ago, when I hit a pretty major bump in the road. The letter-writer I had in mind recently changed jobs and I'm having quite a time pinning her down. My research topic (Chinese contemporary art) is pretty niche; I started learning about it on my own in college after studying abroad in China, and did my undergrad thesis on it this past year. She was the director at the artist residency where I stayed to do my thesis research. I don't have many really strong ties in this area of expertise so she's my best bet. My FPA thinks I need at least one person in the field (the other two are China experts, but not Chinese art specifically) to validate the proposal. I doubt I'll have all three letters in time for my university's internal deadline (Sept. 16), unfortunately.

Would it be better to apply at-large or risk the campus interview committee taking off points for missing materials? Would that make it difficult to re-apply with my FPA next year if I choose to? If I don't make it this time, I may re-apply after grad school, when I'd have a much more time to develop solid relationships with experts in the field.

Have you mentioned your idea to apply at-large to your FPA? What do they think? I would be hesitant to apply at-large if I have a solid committee at my university who would be able to give me notes before officially applying. Also...how many other candidates are applying at your school? Can you get info about them? If not that many people are applying, and/or you think you are noticeably more qualified than they are then I would stick with your university. The university sends Fulbright a ranked order of students. If you think you'd be at the top, then I wouldn't worry too much. 

What's up everyone,

I'm applying for an ETA in Taiwan, anyone else here doing/done the same? A few questions as well,

Can I have my Fulbright adviser also write a recommendation? They happen to be a family friend and know me pretty well, or is this something frowned upon by the application committee?

Also, is there anyone looking to swap statement drafts and give feedback? More eyes and opinions the better! 

Best of luck to everyone!

I don't know officially, but I would imagine your FPA could not write you a recommendation because they would be biased and are involved with the university's ranking process. I also wouldn't go with a family friend unless 1) you have worked with them as a student or colleague, or 2) they are a well-known, influential figure who you may not have worked with directly, but know quite well otherwise (meaning, they are very familiar with your goals). 

Also, I don't mind looking at your statements! My grant is still in its infancy, so I'm not TOO busy just yet :)

Hey there! There have been past applicants who have succeeded in getting a grant with an average GPA.

Check this out: http://www.profellow.com/tips/5-things-they-dont-tell-you-about-the-fulbright-student-grant/

And this too: 

As for selecting a country...I say the safest bet is to pick the place with the most meaning to you and your goals where you can ALSO have a significant impact on the local population. Is that place Greece? Examine it and be honest with yourself and you'll find the answers to all of your questions. What worked for me was applying the Socratic method of questioning. Don't stop once you've asked yourself a question. Follow with the why to that answer, and the why to that one, and so on until you get to the heart of it. 

Welcome to the new folks! Good luck!

Couple of logistical questions about the application:

-How much should I worry about perfecting the short answers? Is it mostly for reference or will the committee actually use these to judge the application before reading the full essays?

-Should I put something in the comments box for "other foreign experience?" I don't know if anything needs to be clarified, since I was just studying abroad for one semester, but I wasn't sure if I should comment on how this would be beneficial to a Fulbright grant.

Kmac, the short answers are very important! Your application is examined as a whole, and all too often applicants are neck in neck when it comes to their background and essays. Any little thing can be used to sway a judges decision one way or another. Do not skim over the short answers! View them as a way to add to your essays. Include information that had to be cut out for length. 

Also, include your foreign experience! This shows that you are able to "survive" abroad. If you studied abroad for a significant amount of time in the country you are applying to, this may hurt your chances though (unless you can prove that you need more time there to continue work that you started). I'd say one semester isn't that long though. Where did you study and what did you do there? I bet there is absolutely something there that can be applied to your grant. 

Have you mentioned your idea to apply at-large to your FPA? What do they think? I would be hesitant to apply at-large if I have a solid committee at my university who would be able to give me notes before officially applying. Also...how many other candidates are applying at your school? Can you get info about them? If not that many people are applying, and/or you think you are noticeably more qualified than they are then I would stick with your university. The university sends Fulbright a ranked order of students. If you think you'd be at the top, then I wouldn't worry too much. 

Sine, you mention several times that the university ranks its applicants. I don't know anything about this. Do they rank by country, by grant type, or are all applicants put into a general pool and ranked #1-#x (number of endorsed applicants)?

Sine, you mention several times that the university ranks its applicants. I don't know anything about this. Do they rank by country, by grant type, or are all applicants put into a general pool and ranked #1-#x (number of endorsed applicants)?

The way I've heard it is that each university submits applicants in ranked order without any attention to country. Not sure if there are separate lists by grant type, but I'd imagine so. This is how I've heard it done at my university. Check with your FPA to see if it's the same?

The way I've heard it is that each university submits applicants in ranked order without any attention to country. Not sure if there are separate lists by grant type, but I'd imagine so. This is how I've heard it done at my university. Check with your FPA to see if it's the same?

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the info!

Hi all,

Well, I'm scrambling to put together my application this month. (So much for not procrastinating. Ha.) A few questions have come up, and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

First, work experience. I've worked at eye doctors' offices on and off for the past ten years. Do you think I should put that, to show that I'm able to be gainfully employed? Or leave it out because it's not relevent to the application at all? But then it looks like I've never held a job!

Second, the foreign language evaluation. I'm applying for the CLEA in Bengali. I studied Bengali for a year when I lived in India before, and I can speak it some, but I've forgotten a lot. Do you think I should get myself formally evaluated? I just don't relish the idea of spending a morning with a proctor taking an over-the-phone interview in a language I really don't speak much of anymore. And I don't know if it will make a difference in whether I'm awarded the CLEA, because you don't have to have language skills in Bengali to begin with.

Okay, I've reached the neurosis stage of this application. Any help/comforting words would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone, anyone else applying for India?

Thanks Sine. I studied abroad for one semester in England. I actually talk about my internship there in my Statement of Grant Purpose, so I noted that. 

I submitted for the campus deadline today! Very exciting.