Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

You guys, I need some motivation to [continue] to move forward. This whole wait patiently until Fulbright puts me out of my misery isn't going too well.

I suppose a selfie of me quietly weeping over the Fulbright logo wouldn't be too helpful, would it? 

I suppose a selfie of me quietly weeping over the Fulbright logo wouldn't be too helpful, would it? 

Hahaha, hang in there! From what I've heard from "insiders" we haven't heard back because they're still assessing the security situation. But, if I may rant for a moment, they already granted the CLS scholarships for this summer which include 3 sites in Jordan, including a new site at the University of Madaba. So, basically, what I'm trying to say is -- "Can I have it?"

can-i-have-it-o.gif

So it's been a little over a month since I heard about my alternate status. I think chances of being bumped up to (P) begin to get considerably slimmer from here on out. Damn this blind hope...it's making my other grant applications that much harder.

For those who applied a second time and were successful, any tangible advice on improving your submission (i.e. more letters of affiliation, more concrete research description, more about your personal development, etc.)?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

- A super bummed and unrealistically hopeful (A)

Hahaha, hang in there! From what I've heard from "insiders" we haven't heard back because they're still assessing the security situation. But, if I may rant for a moment, they already granted the CLS scholarships for this summer which include 3 sites in Jordan, including a new site at the University of Madaba. So, basically, what I'm trying to say is -- "Can I have it?"

Hey! I'm also waiting on Jordan (and slowly getting grey hairs from stressing myself out every time I check my email). They can't take too much longer, right? Right?! :/

I mean, even if they still are unsure of the security situation they have to tell us by mid-May?...hopefully? 

So it's been a little over a month since I heard about my alternate status. I think chances of being bumped up to (P) begin to get considerably slimmer from here on out. Damn this blind hope...it's making my other grant applications that much harder.

For those who applied a second time and were successful, any tangible advice on improving your submission (i.e. more letters of affiliation, more concrete research description, more about your personal development, etc.)?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

- A super bummed and unrealistically hopeful (A)

Hi, hang in there.  I am going insane as well, and have to force myself to move on.

I was offered a big discount to a summer program that may overlap slightly with Fulbright dates, and couldn't commit to any plane tickets yet.

Because we'd take the Fulbright offer in a heartbeat (whenever it may be!), it's making other decisions very difficult.  The huge IFs are really complicating our lives, and I think we may need to go on with the more concrete choices.

Quotes-About-Moving-On-0043-45-1.jpg

Hi, hang in there.  I am going insane as well, and have to force myself to move on.

I was offered a big discount to a summer program that may overlap slightly with Fulbright dates, and couldn't commit to any plane tickets yet.

Because we'd take the Fulbright offer in a heartbeat (whenever it may be!), it's making other decisions very difficult.  The huge IFs are really complicating our lives, and I think we may need to go on with the more concrete choices.

Quotes-About-Moving-On-0043-45-1.jpg

Hey Stopthat, thanks and glad to hear there are others in the same boat.

It's crazy to think this puts research plans for my degree off for another year,  but I guess it is what it is.

Here's to keeping our fingers crossed while remaining realistic and not letting other opportunities pass us!

Finally got my grant letter and terms of conditions etc. for Taiwan research. Geez. So much info. I'm a little bummed that it seems like we can't stay abroad to travel after the length of the grant though. Anyone know if there are exceptions to this rule? Why is this the case?

Got mine too. It's a lot to process!

As far as I can tell, the limitations on what you do after the grant pertain mainly to your return flight. I'm not sure if the situation is different this year or with Taiwan, but a friend of mine did her Fulbright elsewhere in E. Asia a couple of years ago, and afterward traveled to other countries in the region to keep doing research for the rest of the summer. The only catch was she had to forfeit the ticket purchased with Fulbright funds and pay for her own plane ticket back from her final destination.

Hey! I'm also waiting on Jordan (and slowly getting grey hairs from stressing myself out every time I check my email). They can't take too much longer, right? Right?! :/

I mean, even if they still are unsure of the security situation they have to tell us by mid-May?...hopefully? 

can-i-have-it-o.gif

I have friends who have applied and been accepted to Jordan for other 15-16 year programs, so I don't know what security they are worried about that other programs aren't...

But really, can't they at least tell us if we weren't selected?  If we aren't the ones who need to keep holding on to hope this is going to go through?  They are making future life choices very difficult for us by dragging this out.

Finally got my grant letter and terms of conditions etc. for Taiwan research. Geez. So much info. I'm a little bummed that it seems like we can't stay abroad to travel after the length of the grant though. Anyone know if there are exceptions to this rule? Why is this the case?

I really wouldn't bet on it. They probably disallow additional travel because it's a public program paid for (at the risk of sounding cliche) by taxes. So they:

1. Want to make sure people are doing what they're put there for. If anyone gets the impression Fulbright sponsors people for vacations abroad, it could jeopardize the whole program.

2. It's a liability thing- they give people grants to go to potentially unstable parts of the world and if one person ends up hurt/missing after grant ends because they left their host country but didn't return to the United States, Fulbright could in theory be held partially responsible. My guess is that's the same reason we need permission to leave the host country at all. 

There could be exceptions, but I'd guess it's for completion of a grantee's project. Even then, that may not allow them international travel. No idea if I'm right, but these are my best guesses. 

I really wouldn't bet on it. They probably disallow additional travel because it's a public program paid for (at the risk of sounding cliche) by taxes. So they:

1. Want to make sure people are doing what they're put there for. If anyone gets the impression Fulbright sponsors people for vacations abroad, it could jeopardize the whole program.

2. It's a liability thing- they give people grants to go to potentially unstable parts of the world and if one person ends up hurt/missing after grant ends because they left their host country but didn't return to the United States, Fulbright could in theory be held partially responsible. My guess is that's the same reason we need permission to leave the host country at all. 

There could be exceptions, but I'd guess it's for completion of a grantee's project. Even then, that may not allow them international travel. No idea if I'm right, but these are my best guesses. 

What confuses me about this is the differing policies between CLS and Fulbright. I did CLS last summer and we were able to travel afterwards or remain in the host country, and only had to pay the ticket-change fees (which were usually $200-$300). Since that's also public money being spent on a purely educational program, I don't see why Fulbright doesn't have this policy. 

Granted, I actually went straight home after CLS since school was going to start for me, but I know quite a few of my friends stayed. 

We just have to try to be as patient as possible, Em101. We'll make it!

Hi Friends ! 

I heard back from Jermaine and he said that there were in fact grants awarded to Kenya for the grant year of 2015-2016, although apparently there weren't any the year before. And to think the Fulbright process is still throwing me through a loop even at this stage. SO hopefully this is good news for those who are still waiting in areas that might be dealing with conflict ! 

Congrats to those accepted... is there hope for this week after all? 

Apparently there is always hope. Especially when the notification email arrives around 8pm EST.

To those applying to Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, did you hear anything? I'm rooting for you!

For anyone still waiting on the Americas (alternates...) I talked to the program director yesterday. She said that within the next 2 weeks they will finalize all of the offers based on any new funding available, and responses from a few P who still haven't gotten back to her. However, she didn't seem very hopeful that many alternates would make it through this year. She recommended that we start thinking about applying again next year, because if we were alternates, then we were ranked very highly.... She suggested getting in touch with her for help reworking previous applications. Oh well. Another year seems like a very long time to wait. Who knows what else might happen in the meantime :(

For anyone still waiting on the Americas (alternates...) I talked to the program director yesterday. She said that within the next 2 weeks they will finalize all of the offers based on any new funding available, and responses from a few P who still haven't gotten back to her. However, she didn't seem very hopeful that many alternates would make it through this year. She recommended that we start thinking about applying again next year, because if we were alternates, then we were ranked very highly.... She suggested getting in touch with her for help reworking previous applications. Oh well. Another year seems like a very long time to wait. Who knows what else might happen in the meantime :(

Well, bummer. That's great to know that she'd be willing to help us rework our applications though. I'd love to get some feedback to make it stronger for this next round. Just curious, where did you find the contact information for the program director?

Thanks!