PhD hopefools?

justastudent

• 1 month later...

i applied to several, so far 2 interviews, accepted to 1, and rejected by 1...waiting for a few more (all NYC area schools)

Edited by swmbr

Has anyone heard back from Rutgers ? I applied to 5 schools. 1 acceptance, 2 rejections (USC, UCLA), and waitlisted by 1. I am interested in mental health of immigrants/refugees. 

Edited by acy08

no word for me from rutgers...when i did a search in the results page one person had heard mid feb.

Yes, I saw it as well. I also searched social work+Rutgers in the results page, some people heard back from Rutgers last year and in 2012 on March 5th or 6th. Accordingly, they will inform us by this Friday. 

I'm interested in eventually going on to get my PhD. Would anyone mind sharing their GRE scores, and maybe something's that made. your application stand out?

I have a slightly unusual academic and professional history. I have three bachelors degrees (BA history, BA women's studies, and of course BSW) as well as an MSW. I worked in child protection in my home state for almost four years and then spent four years working in public child protection in England. GRE: V162, M150, Writing 5.5. Thus far this has led to acceptances at University of Utah and University of Pittsburgh. I'm keenly, perhaps desperately, waiting to hear from UNC Chapel Hill and with a bit less anxiety waiting on U South Carolina and U Tennessee. UNC won't be telling us anything before the end of the month. It seems like funding can vary significantly between programs.

I'm interested in eventually going on to get my PhD. Would anyone mind sharing their GRE scores, and maybe something's that made. your application stand out?

well, let's just hope my application stands out to a few more places...it already wasn't enough for the place where i got my mssw (thanks, columbia). i've only been in the field for 4 years, but have been working 1 full time job, 1 per diem job and running 1 per diem group. i have 2 publications (was lucky to stay connected to a professor)...GRE scores, eh I guess could be better

@swmbr, that sounds really good. My biggest weakness is lack of publication and lack of research experience. I bet anyone with publications and research is a sure bet for admission.

Are publications from undergrad acceptable, or are they more interested in publications from your MSW? I have one publication as a psychology student (BS) and have presented at several state and national conferences. 

Anything publishedd regardless of when would help...I'm guessing a bit here. When it comes to publication, all PhD programmes are interested in them. I was really scared I would not get in without one, but amazingly I did. I'm guessing you would be interested in U Mich? They're the most prestigious and selective if the PhD programmes, admission rate of 20%. In the end, it's a combination of writing and experience. I think my international work helped tremendously, so if you're able to do peace corps or the like, it probably helps a lot.

Anything publishedd regardless of when would help...I'm guessing a bit here. When it comes to publication, all PhD programmes are interested in them. I was really scared I would not get in without one, but amazingly I did. I'm guessing you would be interested in U Mich? They're the most prestigious and selective if the PhD programmes, admission rate of 20%. In the end, it's a combination of writing and experience. I think my international work helped tremendously, so if you're able to do peace corps or the like, it probably helps a lot.

Ideally UMich would be my top choice after my MSW, but I realize my chances would be very slim. I plan on getting some experience after getting my MSW, so I have time. Thanks for the insight!

I was told columbia gets 110 applicants for about 8 and U Chicago according to last years stats kn their website gets 110 for 6. At 20% U Michigan is not the most selective phd social work program by a long shot. I would imagine it is Berkeley followed by WashU, Chicago, Columbia, and Penn.

On 3/6/2014 at 5:29 PM, Panache said:

I was told columbia gets 110 applicants for about 8 and U Chicago according to last years stats kn their website gets 110 for 6. At 20% U Michigan is not the most selective phd social work program by a long shot. I would imagine it is Berkeley followed by WashU, Chicago, Columbia, and Penn.

When I went to the MSW/PhD info session they said they accept 4, but not really an amount for how many apply. UMich does a duel PhD program (MSW and either econ, psych, sociology, anthro, poly sci).

Maybe since it is 10 yrs old numbers have changed but none of those are Consistent with any of the schools I spoke with. U Michigan I imagine is Way below 20% and NYU is extremely competitive as well. That seems very dated or inaccurate on someone's part. I imagine it is below 15 to 10 percent for many and below ten for many others.

Maybe since it is 10 yrs old numbers have changed but none of those are Consistent with any of the schools I spoke with. U Michigan I imagine is Way below 20% and NYU is extremely competitive as well. That seems very dated or inaccurate on someone's part. I imagine it is below 15 to 10 percent for many and below ten for many others.

NYU is 6 (out of ?) from what I remember at the open house.

I wish I knew about UNC's PhD acceptance rate...I felt it might make me look sketchy if I asked them befor applying. They had the first deadline of the five schools to which I applied and they'll be the last to notify...not till the end of March. Anyone else feeling the pain of waiting?!

I don't know if I'm being too reactive, but my top choice was where I attended for my MSW...I know it's a good programme but I'm so bloody irked right now that I'm starting to more seriously consider my second choice. Besides, I'm neither hip nor cool nor young enough to live in Chapel Hill :)

Hey, I am quite sure I am acting in a manner that is crazy, but could a PhD program withdraw their offer? I received an excellent offer. I attended the open day, paid the deposit and then I haven't heard anything. I know the money left my account, but they haven't acknowledged receiving the deposit. I was told once they received the money they would allocate me a University ID number to enable me to begin getting my visa, I am an international student. I have emailed them and still nothing.

I am concerned because another program has just contacted me to say that find my application "very exciting," and want to make me an offer. I would have withdrawn my application from this second program, but I am concerned the first may withdraw their offer.

How realistic is this fear?

Does not sound realistic at all. What would be their motivation? Reputation is so important in this world and for them to do that would be a tragic mistake. I have never heard of a school doing such a thing with out a reason such as academic dishonesty, lying or legal troubles. Just send them an e-mail and if you must, call the admissions office. 

• 2 weeks later...