Hunter MSW Fall 2014

SenegalRPCV

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with their applications to Hunter's Silberman School. I just submitted my application a couple days ago. A bit of info: I heard at a recent information session they said that about 517 applications have been submitted, and it should top out around 1065. Bad news is their acceptance rate is somewhere around 20-40%! I hope I can beat the odds!

I submitted my Hunter app in November. I was born/raised in NY and left for college and master's degree #1. Thus, I've unfortunately disqualified myself for in-state tuition. Such a bummer. Still waiting to hear back, though. Good luck everyone.

Applied just before February, probably cutting it close. Not sure how things work in terms of writing samples when you're an out-of-state applicant. I know they do Skype interviews. Anyone have additional info?

Also, what would be housing plans for you all if accepted? Even though it's relatively inexpensive compared to other NYC schools, cost of living is so high + tuition! 

SenegalRPCV: Yeah, same here.

I see a notification which states it's submitted, but the checklist says my transcripts are missing, even though I uploaded unofficial copies. My guess is that's normal?

Hey guys :) Just got the email for my the Hunter Interview!!!!! I submitted my application 1/29/2014 and was completely 1/31/2014.

Also, if it says incomplete, you might want to call them. I submitted an unofficial transcript but it says "Received (Not Official)"

Hope everyone gets in to their choice of school. Freaking out for this interview now...

Uh oh, reading these last posts made me nervous.

I'm calling in the morning--hope I get to talk to someone. Email responses take a while, too. Hunter MSW admin seem difficult to get in contact with; anyone have any tips? 

To everyone worried about their transcripts, I sent email here swapp@hunter.cuny.edu inquiring about my transcripts and then received a call from admissions about 3 hours later. I unfortunately missed the call and when i called back I got a voicemail. But I went online to check my application and the transcripts were labeled received now. So if you are truly worry, perhaps send and email to address above. 

Yeah, I received a phone call this afternoon as well. The person said that they manually verify/process applications and transcripts, so they just hadn't gotten to mine yet. My guess is I'll be lower in the stack since I'm not a NY resident. Hope this helps!

Good luck to you all, too! I just emailed them to check why it still says incomplete. I guess they just haven't reached my app yet. I submitted on 1/28 but my second recommendation came in on 2/3. 

Submitted my application on 1/6, and have had half of a group Skype interview on 2/6. I got disconnected from the call several times, but was assured it wouldn't adversely affect my application.

Have been trying to contact the interview coordinator since then by phone/e-mail to schedule a new interview, and only got a response yesterday, telling me I need to wait for new dates to become available. 

This has been a very nerve-wracking process. 

Interesting how people who applied much later than I did have already been scheduled for interviews. It would be nice to hear something, one way or another! Oh, CUNY..

Edit: I put my parents' address on that application. It would be nice if they had told me I'd gotten mail! In other news, Hunter is my first rejection. Interestingly enough, it makes my decision easier since my father now can't complain that I chose not to go to school three blocks away from his house. Phew.

Edited by Lifesaver

Interesting how people who applied much later than I did have already been scheduled for interviews. It would be nice to hear something, one way or another! Oh, CUNY..

Edit: I put my parents' address on that application. It would be nice if they had told me I'd gotten mail! In other news, Hunter is my first rejection. Interestingly enough, it makes my decision easier since my father now can't complain that I chose not to go to school three blocks away from his house. Phew.

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, Lifesaver. I was rejected last year, but I'm applying again after attending Fordham's MSW program part-time. I received great grades at Fordham, so I'd like to think they might reconsider me. Also, I've learned much more about social work and my potential place in the profession from my time there. Good luck wherever you go, and if you or anyone has questions on Fordham's program let me know. 

Edited by SenegalRPCV

I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, Lifesaver. I was rejected last year, but I'm applying again after attending Fordham's MSW program part-time. I received great grades at Fordham, so I'd like to think they might reconsider me. Also, I've learned much more about social work and my potential place in the profession from my time there. Good luck wherever you go, and if you or anyone has questions on Fordham's program let me know. 

Senegal, why are you trying to transfer from Fordham to Hunter?  I've been accepted to Fordham, but I'm still waiting on Hunter.  Lifesaver, bummer about Hunter, good luck with the other schools though.

I feel like I'm getting the run-around with Hunter. Since my half-interview, I have been trying for two weeks to arrange a new skype interview over e-mail and by phone, and even offered to come to NYC, but with no response for days at a time. When I did get a response (on Tuesday the 19th), it was to wait until the end of the week for new dates. Now the week has ended...

Just venting, I suppose.