Hunter MSW Fall 2014

SenegalRPCV

Senegal, why are you trying to transfer from Fordham to Hunter?  I've been accepted to Fordham, but I'm still waiting on Hunter.  Lifesaver, bummer about Hunter, good luck with the other schools though.

There are a few reasons I'd like to transfer from Fordham to Hunter. The biggest reason is that Fordham is so much more expensive. Even with an AmeriCorps scholarship that matched my Segal Education Award, and an expected need-based scholarship, it still will be hard on my future pocketbook to pay back the loans.

The second reason is that I am very interested in Hunter's community organization method. After taking a few classes at Fordham, I'm pretty convinced of my interest in anti-oppressive, critically-aware social work based within communities. I feel my communication and interpersonal skills could benefit from clinically-focused education, but ideally I would like to work on policy change, program development, and grassroots community organization and development. Fordham has a specialization in Clinical/Community macro practice, but I've really enjoyed everything I read about Hunter's community organization track. 

The third reason is that a good portion of the student body at Fordham seems very immature and unenthusiastic about putting in the effort appropriate for a graduate social work program. Fordham accepts around 80% of applicants (one professor let me know it was probably more), and I feel that I personally suffer in the program because I want to learn from my peers, and when they are unwilling to participate I lose out. Maybe this happens in all schools? I'm not sure. I just know that if one school in New York City accepts 30% of applicants, and almost all of the other schools in NYC accept around 70-80%, I will try my best to get into the one that is more exclusive because that student body will, on the whole, be more motivated and willing to participate.

All of this being said, there was one professor at Fordham who motivated the entire class to participate and discuss policy, issues of oppression and social justice with fervor. My experience at Fordham may have been due to a small sample size =) because this professor was great, and brought the ideas out of everyone's brains and into the classroom! She wasn't magic or a genius or anything, she just asked us to read a lot, then spoke about the readings and asked us how we would define specific terms and ideas. The three other professors weren't as good at inspiring conversation. So, my experience at Fordham might have been less about the student body and more about the teachers I chose to take. This professor's name is Dewan - you may not like her as much as I did but I just have to cry her praise.

All in all, school is what you make of it. If I don't get into Hunter, I will take every class Prof. Dewan teaches, and I will develop relationships with professors like her so I can make the most of my time at Fordham.

After reading this over, I feel like maybe I'm being too harsh, or coming to judgement too quickly on the students and my experience at Fordham. Perhaps I'm struggling because I haven't made many connections with my fellow students, and I haven't found students with my interests and experiences similar to my own. As a returned Peace Corps volunteer, and as a student that has been out of school for four years, I'm a bit different than those straight out of undergrad. I really would love to connect with fellow students and professors that want to discuss policy reform, community organization and development, and many other issues and ideas floating within our profession. Whether at Fordham or at Hunter, I will work harder to make those connections so I don't have to whine on an internet forum about my experience =). I hope this post helps someone in some way, not just cathartic venting for me  :rolleyes:

Edited by SenegalRPCV

@meep15: How was your Skype interview (as far as you got)? Do you know if they were still going to have you provide a writing sample that same day? 

It was going really well. I was confident in my answers and the interviewer was nice and understanding about the connection issues. 

I think the writing sample was planned, but I have no clue what happened after I couldn't re-connect to the call anymore. 

There are a few reasons I'd like to transfer from Fordham to Hunter. The biggest reason is that Fordham is so much more expensive. Even with an AmeriCorps scholarship that matched my Segal Education Award, and an expected need-based scholarship, it still will be hard on my future pocketbook to pay back the loans.

The second reason is that I am very interested in Hunter's community organization method. After taking a few classes at Fordham, I'm pretty convinced of my interest in anti-oppressive, critically-aware social work based within communities. I feel my communication and interpersonal skills could benefit from clinically-focused education, but ideally I would like to work on policy change, program development, and grassroots community organization and development. Fordham has a specialization in Clinical/Community macro practice, but I've really enjoyed everything I read about Hunter's community organization track. 

The third reason is that a good portion of the student body at Fordham seems very immature and unenthusiastic about putting in the effort appropriate for a graduate social work program. Fordham accepts around 80% of applicants (one professor let me know it was probably more), and I feel that I personally suffer in the program because I want to learn from my peers, and when they are unwilling to participate I lose out. Maybe this happens in all schools? I'm not sure. I just know that if one school in New York City accepts 30% of applicants, and almost all of the other schools in NYC accept around 70-80%, I will try my best to get into the one that is more exclusive because that student body will, on the whole, be more motivated and willing to participate.

All of this being said, there was one professor at Fordham who motivated the entire class to participate and discuss policy, issues of oppression and social justice with fervor. My experience at Fordham may have been due to a small sample size =) because this professor was great, and brought the ideas out of everyone's brains and into the classroom! She wasn't magic or a genius or anything, she just asked us to read a lot, then spoke about the readings and asked us how we would define specific terms and ideas. The three other professors weren't as good at inspiring conversation. So, my experience at Fordham might have been less about the student body and more about the teachers I chose to take. This professor's name is Dewan - you may not like her as much as I did but I just have to cry her praise.

All in all, school is what you make of it. If I don't get into Hunter, I will take every class Prof. Dewan teaches, and I will develop relationships with professors like her so I can make the most of my time at Fordham.

After reading this over, I feel like maybe I'm being too harsh, or coming to judgement too quickly on the students and my experience at Fordham. Perhaps I'm struggling because I haven't made many connections with my fellow students, and I haven't found students with my interests and experiences similar to my own. As a returned Peace Corps volunteer, and as a student that has been out of school for four years, I'm a bit different than those straight out of undergrad. I really would love to connect with fellow students and professors that want to discuss policy reform, community organization and development, and many other issues and ideas floating within our profession. Whether at Fordham or at Hunter, I will work harder to make those connections so I don't have to whine on an internet forum about my experience =). I hope this post helps someone in some way, not just cathartic venting for me  :rolleyes:

Message boards are meant for venting lol :)

Experience and age will def put you in a different place than someone straight out of undergrad.  When I did the hunter group interview, I was surprised and impressed by how young a few of the interviewees were.  I was still eating my boogers at 20.  Hunter does sound like a good match for you.  good luck!

@pmelwani: Do you know when the financial aid forms are due? It seems like they haven't updated them from last year and the link to submit them is "currently inactive." Are we supposed to apply before we find out admissions decisions?

@meep15: Well, hopefully the make-up interview will go just as smoothly (content-wise, of course). Did they mostly ask you about your social work experience or were there program-specific questions? Kind of have no idea what to expect. Anyway, good luck! 

@pmelwani: Do you know when the financial aid forms are due? It seems like they haven't updated them from last year and the link to submit them is "currently inactive." Are we supposed to apply before we find out admissions decisions?

@meep15: Well, hopefully the make-up interview will go just as smoothly (content-wise, of course). Did they mostly ask you about your social work experience or were there program-specific questions? Kind of have no idea what to expect. Anyway, good luck! 

They asked about sw-related experience, what I felt I can bring to the school, what (if any) populations that I would not feel comfortable working with, and that was as far as I got. Being a group interview, the order of who answered the questions varied, etc. 

MaggieDot - It says it's Due May 1st but I didn't realize that was the same form from last year. It didn't specify which year it's for. Is the new one not available yet? And yeah I keep getting the same error when I try to upload the scholarship form. If the deadline is May 1st I assume we have time to apply. 

@meep15: Oh, I didn't realize that the Skype interviews were also group interviews (thought Skype was 1:1). That information actually makes me feel much, much better. I was nervous to think it would be individual. Thanks for that, and I'm sure your next interview will go well.  :)

@pmelwani: Not sure when it'll be available, but I guess I'll just keep checking the website to see when it's become "active." I thought about sending an email, but I'll give it another month if it's not due until May.  ^_^

Maggiedot- I spoke to someone in admissions and they said you can't submit the scholarship form until you have been accepted into the program. The program may be cheap but I still like to know if I get any aid. Sigh.

@meep15: Oh, I didn't realize that the Skype interviews were also group interviews (thought Skype was 1:1). That information actually makes me feel much, much better. I was nervous to think it would be individual. Thanks for that, and I'm sure your next interview will go well.  :)

@pmelwani: Not sure when it'll be available, but I guess I'll just keep checking the website to see when it's become "active." I thought about sending an email, but I'll give it another month if it's not due until May.  ^_^

Good luck to you too! :)

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know how long it generally takes to get the interview e-mail?  My application was complete as of February 21, which was a Friday.  So technically it's only been three business days, but I've seen people getting e-mails within three days.

I swear I was not this nervous filling out my applications - then I just wanted to get them over with!  Now I'm freaking out :(

Good luck everyone!

Still waiting to hear about interviews and starting to panic that so many people have decisions but maybe it's because I'm out of state... my app was submitted 2/1 and went complete 2/5.

Edited by ssllove

Still waiting to hear about interviews and starting to panic that so many people have decisions but maybe it's because I'm out of state... my app was submitted 2/1 and went complete 2/5.

I'm still waiting on Hunter too, and my application was completed in November! I'm not stressing too much about it because "pending program decision" is way better at this point than rejected...

PS I'm a NY resident so I don't think location is necessarily a factor with their timing

I'm still waiting on Hunter too, and my application was completed in November! I'm not stressing too much about it because "pending program decision" is way better at this point than rejected...

PS I'm a NY resident so I don't think location is necessarily a factor with their timing

Mine isn't even pending, it's just complete :\ Although mine was submitted later than yours so you're likely farther along than I am. Just interesting to see how quickly some people have shot through when their apps were submitted later.

I have still not been able to re-schedule my interview. I call the office 2 times a week and email them 1-2 times a week. 

The last I heard from them was last Wednesday. The email said that I'd get new dates to choose from on the 21st. No successful contact since then. It's really frustrating. 

Message boards are meant for venting lol :)

Experience and age will def put you in a different place than someone straight out of undergrad.  When I did the hunter group interview, I was surprised and impressed by how young a few of the interviewees were.  I was still eating my boogers at 20.  Hunter does sound like a good match for you.  good luck!

Thanks Mr. Architect. I agree, even at 23 (compared to 27 now) I was markedly more immature =)

My application says "Pending Interview", which is great news! Bad news is that it has said that for five days now and I have yet to receive an email with the interview invitation and date. I submitted the application on 1/28, it was completed on 2/19 only after emailing them because I was getting impatient and wanted squeak my wheel a bit =)

SenegalRPCV don't worry too much about that! My status had said pending interview for almost 2 weeks before I got the invite :)

Great, thanks for letting me know.

Does "pending Dean decision" on the online application after an interview mean a polite rejection? Its been almost a month, and i have not received any update.