Hunter MSW Fall 2014

SenegalRPCV

I was just invited to interview yesterday and set the date for Wednesday =). I think they schedule interviews by method, and since I applied to the community organization method I was invited now. Maybe those of you that are waiting are all applying to a specific method? Since the clinical method gets the most applications I'm guessing they will be doing interviews for a while and it make take longer than others. 

I was just invited to interview yesterday and set the date for Wednesday =). I think they schedule interviews by method, and since I applied to the community organization method I was invited now. Maybe those of you that are waiting are all applying to a specific method? Since the clinical method gets the most applications I'm guessing they will be doing interviews for a while and it make take longer than others. 

I applied to community organization and am still waiting. Hopefully soon then!

Does "pending Dean decision" on the online application after an interview mean a polite rejection? Its been almost a month, and i have not received any update.

Hi SammyJ,

I'm in the same boat. Unsure what to make of the "pending dean decision" label. It has been two weeks since my interview and I'm quietly freaking out about this status. I'm confused why they wouldn't just tell us outright if we've been rejected, but also my restless mind has considered: a) maybe the dean has to approve all accepted applicants after the admissions committee (doesn't seem likely) or B) maybe the dean can veto rejections? 

I have no idea what to make of the status. I've considered calling the school to find out more. Will keep you posted if I hear anything...

Its an extremely stressful period to wait. I interview exact a month ago today...I did feel disappointed by how the interview went, and was feeling insecure, so this waiting is really killing me (as well as waiting to hear from NYU), how did you feel your interview went StanleeCelloni? Please let me know if they give you any info on when the dean makes his decisions?

Its an extremely stressful period to wait. I interview exact a month ago today...I did feel disappointed by how the interview went, and was feeling insecure, so this waiting is really killing me (as well as waiting to hear from NYU), how did you feel your interview went StanleeCelloni? Please let me know if they give you any info on when the dean makes his decisions?

I dont know-- I was actually intensely nervous about the interview in advance, but thought it went pretty well. 

Mine was exactly 2 weeks ago (2/24). In the interview invitation email it said we would hear back 2-3 weeks after the interview, but I have heard that most admitted applicants heard back before 2 weeks' time. I wil try to muster the patience to get through another week, but I'm losing it :) hope you find the strength, Sammy

I have my interview tomorrow - can anyone share any tips?? Thank you so much!

Hi LincolnLover, 

Quite honestly, the best advice I ever took from some of the forums about the interview was taking the initiative to talk to the other people who are interviewing with you. Get there early - it says I believe in the email to get there a half hour early at least - and while you're there you'll find some of the other applicants either in the coffee shop or in the waiting area before the interview. Get comfortable with them! Because then if you're not sure of your answer you can hear their's beforehand and bounce your ideas off of each other during the interview. 

Questions that were posed - Why Hunter? What populations would you dislike working with? Although I've heard the questions do change so you really can't prepare too much for it. The thing I really believed made our interview go so well was that we spoke with each other and got to know one another before the interview so none of us felt too uncomfortable answering.

Good Luck!!

Hi LincolnLover, 

Quite honestly, the best advice I ever took from some of the forums about the interview was taking the initiative to talk to the other people who are interviewing with you. Get there early - it says I believe in the email to get there a half hour early at least - and while you're there you'll find some of the other applicants either in the coffee shop or in the waiting area before the interview. Get comfortable with them! Because then if you're not sure of your answer you can hear their's beforehand and bounce your ideas off of each other during the interview. 

Questions that were posed - Why Hunter? What populations would you dislike working with? Although I've heard the questions do change so you really can't prepare too much for it. The thing I really believed made our interview go so well was that we spoke with each other and got to know one another before the interview so none of us felt too uncomfortable answering.

Good Luck!!

That's really great advice- thanks so much!

My application went from "Skype Interview" (completed 1 month ago, but just completed the 30-min writing assignment two weeks ago) to "Being Reviewed" to "Pending Dean decision" all in one day.

According to Hunter's Decisions, Deferrals. and Reapplying page, only the Dean of Silberman may admit people to the MSW program. I have no idea what any of it means, but hopefully it signals the end of this waiting is near, for better or worse. 

@ LincolnLover: How did your Skype interview go? And did they ask for the writing sample immediately after the interview? 

@asd2t: Good luck, hopefully you'll get an answer soon. In past years, it seems like most people got a response very soon after their interview. If my memory's correct, the writing sample step is new in the admissions process; maybe that's what takes a while to review as well. Anyway, I know the wait to hear back is awful for applicants, hang in there!

@ LincolnLover: How did your Skype interview go? And did they ask for the writing sample immediately after the interview? 

Hey MaggieDot,

I did an in-person interview, not Skype.  It really wasn't bad at all.  I'm assuming it's basically the same for a Skype interview too, so here's the questions they asked:

-What experience do you have in the field and how does it relate to SW.  Why did you choose Hunter?

-How would you define your social identity and how will it impact your work with clients?

-The facilitator read a short vignette about a returning veteran who is having attachment issues and wants to continue texting you after your therapy sessions end.  What are your thoughts on this and what would you do in the situation?

-The writing sample was about a city with a high minority population, where the LGBTQ population is often harrassed by both neighbors and the police.  Many stores have become "safe spaces" for the LGBTQ population, and a Pride Parade is held.  What implications for social welfare does this article have?

I'm sure that the questions, vignette and the article will change for each interview.  However, you can get the general idea :)

Everyone says not to answer first, but if you are confident in your answer, I say go for it!  There were a few times when I waited for someone else to answer and was left thinking, "damn, that's what I wanted to say.  Now it's going to look like I'm copying them!"  Then you have to try to put your own spin on their answer.

So in general, the interview is really not bad at all.  Everyone was really friendly (including the facilitator), and it was pretty laid back.

Good luck!

@LincolnLover: Wow, thanks so much for the information! :) I have my interview via Skype tomorrow morning and I am SUPER nervous. Hunter is my top choice school. I just hope I'm articulate and don't let my nerves get the best of me. 

@MaggieDot just letting you know, my questions were all different except for "why hunter" so just be prepared for a spew of different questions :)

Other qs: what do you think of when you hear "at risk population"? Homeless intoxicated man comes to a "dry" shelter in a winter storm, what do you do? A frail woman wants to cook for you every week you come to check up on her, what do you do?

@LincolnLover: Wow, thanks so much for the information! :) I have my interview via Skype tomorrow morning and I am SUPER nervous. Hunter is my top choice school. I just hope I'm articulate and don't let my nerves get the best of me. 

You'll be okay! I wasn't really nervous until after we got into the room.  Then it hit me!  Just take deep breaths and be confident in all of your acomplishments and why you want to go into the field.  Best of luck!

Hopefully we will be cohorts :D

Edited by LincolnLover

Just finished my Skype interview. I think it went well, although I was very nervous!

We were also asked the "Why Hunter?" question, questions around our experiences in the field and interests, but we weren't asked to respond to a vignette, probably because we had a late start due to connection problems. 

The interviewer let us know that decisions should be out within three weeks of completing the writing sample. Good luck, guys! I hope we hear good news.  :)

I applied on 2/2/14 and the application was complete on 2/5/14. I checked the application status two days ago and it said "pending interview." I received an email today inviting me to the group interview. If you are waiting, please be patient. One of my professors told me that they overwhelmed and that they are viewing applications now. 

I am a bit scared of the interview. I am sure everyone will do great!

Just made it through the Skype re-interview. Someone else had the same problems I did though and has to reschedule. :/

So happy to hear that they got back to you and rescheduled the interview. Good luck to you guys and everyone else. My interview for COP&D method was on Wednesday and I hope to hear from them soon. Ideally, I hope all of us worriers will get accepted and chat about this later =)

Just was accepted via the website! Woohoo! Glad that's over. Now, ahead of me is two years of an amazing balancing act between a full-time social work program, taking care of my family, and running a small business!  :wacko: