Fall 2014 PhD Programs

Hello Everyone,

I have been a frequent visitor to this site to gain as much insight as possible into the application process for my programs and I thought I would share some of that experience for others to learn from.

I graduate this spring with my Master's degree in criminal justice from an online program run by a fantastic brick and mortar school. I majored in criminal justice for my Bachelor's degree as well and since my Bachelor's degree I have been working for three years in the criminal justice system.

I had a 3.6 gpa in undergrad and another 3.6 gpa for my master's program. My gre scores were 156 verbal, 157 quantitative and 4.0 for writing. I do not have significant research or publication experience. My Master's program was a terminal program that I took part time for two years while working full time. My undergraduate school is nothing special and my Master's program comes from a fantastic school but I am not sure if PhD programs dislike the fact that it is 100% web based.

I have applied to 10 schools which cost about $1,000. The schools are the following in no particular order.

1. University of Cincinnati

2. John Jay College

3. Northeastern

4. UC Irvine

5. UT Dallas

6. University of South Florida

7. Florida International

8. Old Dominion University

9. University of South Carolina

10. University of Pennsylvania

I'm not sure what to expect with regard to getting accepted/denied and funding/no funding. One resource I have found helpful along the way is the following website: www.adpccj.com/

This website has surveys which give information on applicants' gre and gpa scores and much more. I wish there was more information like this website and that is why I'm making this post; I want others to have a little more insight into this process. I consider myself to be a middle of the road applicant that you may be able to relate to and gain an idea of what it takes to be accepted or denied at the previously mentioned schools. I will update my results as they come in. . .

So far I have been denied by UC Irvine and Northeastern. I found out about both of these decisions during the last week of January. Out of all of the schools I applied to I thought I had the smallest chance of getting accepted into UC Irvine and UPenn. Even though I expected to be denied it was still discouraging but now more than ever I am happy I applied to so many schools.

Northeastern was also disappointing as Boston is a great city and I think the school is also impressive. It seems like results are trickling in from other programs so I am excited to hear back from more programs.

I was beginning to think I was the only person applying for criminology  :wacko:

I am applying to PhD programs straight from my undergrad, although I took a year off and worked. 

I applied to 5 schools: Maryland, Albany, Northeastern, Florida and Florida State.

So far I have been accepted at UF, FSU, Northeastern, and I have an interview scheduled with Albany. 

Oh my gosh, sorry, my keyboard keeps disappearing and then I hit post instead of typing.

Anyway, I applied to northeastern, upenn, Maryland, and penn state for the criminology phd. I've only heard from one school so far - I was accepted at northeastern. Still waiting on the others. Good luck everyone!

@thegirlwholived are you going to Northeastern's event in boston feb 12-13?

Oh my gosh, sorry, my keyboard keeps disappearing and then I hit post instead of typing.

Anyway, I applied to northeastern, upenn, Maryland, and penn state for the criminology phd. I've only heard from one school so far - I was accepted at northeastern. Still waiting on the others. Good luck everyone!

@thegirlwholived are you going to Northeastern's event in boston feb 12-13?

Yes I am! I'm excited since I've never been to Boston. You?

Hi, I'm a longtime lurker who's also excited that you guys posted here, because I also just got into Northeastern Crim.

I am not sure if I'm going to the event on the 12th-13th. Do you think it would look bad if I didn't go? I want to check out the department, but I'm taking classes now and am worried about missing class.

Do you know how competitive admissions are for Northeastern? I was very surprised I got in, because my application had some weaknesses.

I am still waiting to hear back from 3 other crim programs (Penn State, Delaware, and American), and 4 sociology programs (which were a longshot and I would be completely floored if I got into a single one). I live in the Philadelphia area, so Penn State and Delaware would be much less disruptive to my life (and especially my husband's life). Having said that, Northeastern looks like a great program, and I've always really liked Boston... What factors are you taking into consideration?

Hi, I'm a longtime lurker who's also excited that you guys posted here, because I also just got into Northeastern Crim.

I am not sure if I'm going to the event on the 12th-13th. Do you think it would look bad if I didn't go? I want to check out the department, but I'm taking classes now and am worried about missing class.

Do you know how competitive admissions are for Northeastern? I was very surprised I got in, because my application had some weaknesses.

I am still waiting to hear back from 3 other crim programs (Penn State, Delaware, and American), and 4 sociology programs (which were a longshot and I would be completely floored if I got into a single one). I live in the Philadelphia area, so Penn State and Delaware would be much less disruptive to my life (and especially my husband's life). Having said that, Northeastern looks like a great program, and I've always really liked Boston... What factors are you taking into consideration?

I'm not sure how bad it would be if you didn't go to the event, especially because you are already accepted into the program. If this were a visitation weekend you were invited to before official decisions were made, I would definitely go. Personally, I want to go because I think it's important to visit programs before you make a decision. A school may sound perfect on paper, but when you get there, it may be a terrible experience. The students may be miserable, the faculty may be unfriendly... Or it could be the other way around. I think it is important to get a feel for the program's atmosphere. Again though, I'm not sure how the department feels about it.

I'm also not sure how competitive it is.

There are so many factors to consider when choosing a grad program; it stresses me out thinking about it. Haha :wacko: I'm sure it's harder to make a decision when you are disrupting someone else's life as well. For me, I want to pick the program that I think I will thrive in. Although you may get into a top program, it may be cut throat and you may not get the attention you were hoping for. I definitely want to go somewhere that matches my research interests best and where I believe that my mentor will give me the time and guidance to help me succeed. Of course, working with someone who is well known in the field will definitely help when it comes to networking, which is something to think about. Different professors have access to different sets of data. I would also like to make sure I will be able to research what I want based on what's available :wacko:

Congrats on Northeastern! I would also strongly recommend visiting the school before accepting, especially since youd be moving if you accepted. Most professors should understand that you have a campus visit.

I also split my applications between sociology and criminology. What soc programs did you apply to?

Girlwholived and ns25, thanks so much for your advice. Based on that, I decided to do the visit next week.

Yeah, relocating would be the hardest part of this, but I guess that's the life of an academic. NS, your points are really good about not necessarily thriving in the program with the best ranking or other factors that look good on paper. Like, the stress on my relationship from relocating COULD end up outweighing the fact that NE is a really, really good fit research-wise (and the professor I would be working with has an excellent data and funding track record). I have a lot to think about in terms of where I would really thrive, all things considered. You're lucky that you're making the decision without a family!

I applied to three Ivy League sociology programs plus another school in Boston. I'm embarrassed to say which ones, because then I'll have to acknowledge it when I don't get into them lol. I've never taken a sociology class, and my research interests are crim, not soc, so it was just really weird for me to even apply to soc programs. I am eagerly awaiting those rejection letters, just so I can have final resolution... Which did you apply to?

Also, what are your thoughts about career prospects for criminology PhDs? There are so few pure crim programs that I'm a little worried about being on the market 5 years from now -- how many job opportunities will there really be? I'm VERY interested in a career in academia, but it's so incredibly competitive that I have to be realistic and wonder about non-academic prospects for crim PhDs -- are they as good as for sociologists? I have a friend who just finished his crim PhD who's applying to all these universities in England because he hasn't had luck with sociology or crim programs in the US, and England is where the academic crim jobs are. Boston is one thing, but rural England might be a LOT to ask the ball and chain lol.

Edited by grrlfriend

Girlwholived and ns25, thanks so much for your advice. Based on that, I decided to do the visit next week.

Yeah, relocating would be the hardest part of this, but I guess that's the life of an academic. NS, your points are really good about not necessarily thriving in the program with the best ranking or other factors that look good on paper. Like, the stress on my relationship from relocating COULD end up outweighing the fact that NE is a really, really good fit research-wise (and the professor I would be working with has an excellent data and funding track record). I have a lot to think about in terms of where I would really thrive, all things considered. You're lucky that you're making the decision without a family!

I applied to three Ivy League sociology programs plus another school in Boston. I'm embarrassed to say which ones, because then I'll have to acknowledge it when I don't get into them lol. I've never taken a sociology class, and my research interests are crim, not soc, so it was just really weird for me to even apply to soc programs. I am eagerly awaiting those rejection letters, just so I can have final resolution... Which did you apply to?

Also, what are your thoughts about career prospects for criminology PhDs? There are so few pure crim programs that I'm a little worried about being on the market 5 years from now -- how many job opportunities will there really be? I'm VERY interested in a career in academia, but it's so incredibly competitive that I have to be realistic and wonder about non-academic prospects for crim PhDs -- are they as good as for sociologists? I have a friend who just finished his crim PhD who's applying to all these universities in England because he hasn't had luck with sociology or crim programs in the US, and England is where the academic crim jobs are. Boston is one thing, but rural England might be a LOT to ask the ball and chain lol.

That was girlwholived's advice about program fit haha, I agree though. I don't have kids, but I do have a long-term partner who will be moving with me to whatever city my chosen program is in, so I understand how tough it can be. I applied mostly to schools in a 6-hour driving radius, with the exception of USC Sociology. The other soc programs I applied to are Stony Brook, Rutgers, Yale, and Harvard. I know the Ivys are a long shot, but I'm hoping I might have a chance... We'll see. :/

For the job market, I think it depends on what kind of non-academic job you'd be interested in if academia doesn't work out. And dependent on the type of research you'd be doing in grad school.

I have also been a bit of a lurker. I discovered this forum months ago, but forgot about it. I only applied to USF crim and FSU communications. Maybe we will be classmates at USF Frank & Stein.  I haven't heard about decisions yet. I've checked the results portion of this site. Any idea when we should expect a decision? 

Hey thom4004,

I think we might hear back from USF around mid to late February. When I look for previous results from that school that's when they came out in the past.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!

I just got a voicemail and follow-up email from USF tonight. I was accepted! They are making funding decisions in the next few weeks. I feel so much better. I only applied to 2 schools so now I know I am going somewhere in the fall (depending on funding)!

Congratulations thom4004! I also got a phone call accepting me into USF! I'm very grateful and excited. I'm looking forward to their funding offer as that will likely be the single most important factor on which school I choose.

DarlingNikki I'm an unconventional applicant. I am actually a licensed lawyer pursuing a Phd to teach at the university level and enter the trial/jury consulting field. I'm not exactly sure what my research interests are other than I want to write a dissertation related to legal decision-making or something that will help me market myself to consulting firms after graduation.  

DarlingNikki I'm an unconventional applicant. I am actually a licensed lawyer pursuing a Phd to teach at the university level and enter the trial/jury consulting field. I'm not exactly sure what my research interests are other than I want to write a dissertation related to legal decision-making or something that will help me market myself to consulting firms after graduation.  

Is that unconventional? I think that's awesome and I know quite a few individuals that have gone this route. Best of luck to you! :)

Hey everyone - So I have applied to 13 schools: Maryland, Albany, John Jay, FSU, South Florida, ASU, University of Cincinnati, Northeastern, UC Irvine, Pennsylvania State, George Mason, American, and University of Illinois at Chicago. So far I have been accepted into George Mason (no funding); FSU (awaiting funding decisions); and University of South Florida (awaiting funding decision). Been denied by Northeastern and UC Irvine. I am a little worried about Albany because I haven't heard anything from them and they are interviewing so my hopes are not high for New York. I need funding so hope one of these programs can offer me something.

hey, I just finished my interview with albany this morning. I felt the same way. They asked me very specific questions about how to collect and analyze data and I basically froze there. They also wanted to know which faculty I was interested in.......My silly answer was 'i don't know'.....i am also applying directly from my undergradute, i guess they felt i need a master program first and figure things out......

I also just had my interview with Albany. I feel like I should have prepared more  :blink:

hey, I just finished my interview with albany this morning. I felt the same way. They asked me very specific questions about how to collect and analyze data and I basically froze there. They also wanted to know which faculty I was interested in.......My silly answer was 'i don't know'.....i am also applying directly from my undergradute, i guess they felt i need a master program first and figure things out......

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They were asking me results of a paper I am co-authoring, but my professor hadn't sent me the analysis yet (even though he said he was going to that week). I was like "uhhhhh, I'm not quite sure yet.." Haha. Anyway, I heard you are allowed one "I don't know". I think my interview went pretty okay other than that. I'm not sure my research interests are quite compatible though because I would really like to do biosocial research. 

I was visiting FSU the other day. I'm nervous because they are one of the few programs that accept quite a few students, but they only fund about 5 of them. I was told that I have a good chance, so fingers crossed. Even though they are known for being good about finding funding once you are in, it would be hard to go into a program when funding isn't promised.